News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Please offer opinions on these novels  (Read 1948 times)

Offline kraibos

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Please offer opinions on these novels
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
Im kinda burned out on 40k and horus heresy so looking for some opinions of these warhammer fantasy novels.

I have read alot of all the series so im just listing stuff i haven't read. I have a whole list of other books to read unrelated to warhammer but fancy a read of some fantasy.

I tend to prefer to read novels in series all together. The Fantasy novels ive enjoyed the most have been Witch hunter,Sigmar series, Blackhearts omnibus and most of all florin and Lorenzo.I dont enjoy the Gortrek and felix books but did enjoy the thanquol boneripper series.

So im wondering about the following:

The Ambassador
    Ursun's Teeth
    Death's Messenger

Death's City
    Death's Legacy
    Grudge Bearer

Oathbreaker
    Honourkeeper
    Reiksguard
    Bloodborn
    Bloodforged
    Bloodsworn
    Nagash The Sorcerer

Nagash The Unbroken
    Nagash Immortal *
    The Corrupted

Dead Winter
    Knight of the Blazing Sun

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
Re: Please offer opinions on these novels
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »
I enjoyed the Nagash books, but i'm something of a fan of that particular characters (seriously, one of the most important and powerful figures in Warhammer Fantasy, the guy deserves a comeback) so i may be a touch biased. I would normally recomend anything by William King, but since you don't like the Gotrek and Felix books, he may not be up your alley.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2013, 04:41:32 AM »
Speaking as somebody with very little invested in the Undead in WHFB, I can say as an impartial observer that the Nagash books are indeed very good indeed. Great writing, interesting plot and great at making you care about what happens, which is impressive since Nagash could easily have been portrayed as a stock High Fantasy Evil Overlord type, but is instead made to be more interesting as a character
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline DeadDuck1015

• Armies: Imperial Guard, Vampire Counts
« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2013, 01:19:33 AM »
I'll add my vote for the Nagash books, much like Lachdonin I'm probably biased on the matter, but they were very good reads. If you do choose them, it really helps to read them in order (Sorcerer, Unbroken, then Immortal).
"Our end is come, but what an end! We have been given the most precious gift: a chance to roar our defiance into the foe that overwhelms us with their numbers. Let the Emperor Himself hear our final battle cry! Forward, warriors of the Guard, and die like the heroes you are!"

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2013, 01:36:44 AM »
I toss in another vote for Nagash. The Sigmar books (which aren't on your list?) are quite good too and Reiksguard is also nice.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2013, 01:41:26 AM »
The Sigmar books (which aren't on your list?)

He mentions before that he's already read them :P. But i do also agree, Rieksguard was pretty good.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »
It's not on your list, but do read Riders Of The Dead.  I am generally not interested in fantasy novels, but this book fell into my lap so I gave it a shot.  It's a Dan Abnett book, an author known for writing engaging stories, but that in itself was a detail I was unaware of.  The story has an arc that is patient but not slow paced; the protagonist goes from a grunt to someone of high esteem and this is a process that requires many tough choices and sacrifices along the way.  There's not much else I can say without giving away his transition or the ending, so I will laud the writing for the way it details small scale sights such as how the common people in the Empire live, as well as how the common soldiers live their daily lives.

Details about the common people are largely absent from 40k rulebook fluff to the novels, and that is no different from the novels.  This character begins with one set of goals and virtues, but war leads him to embrace a completely different set of each in a way that is organic and empowering.

Riders of the Dead (Warhammer Novels): Dan Abnett, Marc Gascoigne:
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.