News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Horde's Finished Army Project  (Read 1606 times)

Offline HORDE

• Infinity Circuit
    • Horde's Deathwing Blog
Horde's Finished Army Project
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »
So, I have played in my time as a hobbist; Eldar, Space Marines, Chaos, Necrons, Tau, Ogre Kingdoms, Dark Eldar, Dark Elves, Skaven, Orcs and Goblins, Vampire Counts and many armies from other systems (Malifaux, Warmachine, Hordes, Blood Bowl etc.). Some of these armies I have given up, only to start again 2 years later.

It's a running joke between some of my friends that I have never finished an army. That is, I have never put an army on the table between 1500 and 2000 points that is fully painted and I'm happy with it. The closest I have come so far is Ogre Kingdoms - I have nearly 2500points painted. 98% of this was painted by my other half, who happens to love the ogre models.

I started getting into the tournament scene in the UK about a year ago, but always had to borrow models to get a fully painted army and have any painting scores at all. This year, I plan to change this and have myself a fully painted primary 40k army. Due to my lack of wanting to paint loads of models, but wanting to be moderatley competitive, it narrowed my army choices down somewhat. I eventually went with Deathwing, and am currently frenziedly painting models for a 1K campaign day at Warhammer World in the first week in August. I will then need another 750 points for the Throne of Skulls at the end of the year and at least 500 points for any other tournaments I wish to go to.

After lots of playtesting, I settled on a nice 1750 list: 4 squads of deathwing terminators and 2 squads of 3man ravenwing with meltas and multimelta attack bikes. However, in 1K, this was very difficult to fit in, so I have added a dreadnought to my list instead of the ravenwing (3 bikes didn't work so well at 1K).

The purpose of this blog is to document my push towards a fully painted army (as I know other hobbyists struggle with this issue), and to give me motivation to update regularly.

So, currently I have 1 squad fully painted (with no transfers), 1 squad half painted, 1 squad undercoated and I've started on the dread.

Squad 1: DW Terminators - 2 TH/SS, Cyclone, PF/SB and CF/SB

Squad 2: 2 TH/SS, Cyclone, 2 PF/SB

Squad 3: Apothecary, 2 TH/SS, 3 LC

Stuff in Progress: Dread, Belial

The picture quality isn't fantastic (phone camera and bad house lighting) and a couple of the pictures are...artsy (thank the other half for that). But I'll update every time I finish a model. At least in the hope of inspiring others like me who fail when it comes to start new armies on a regular basis.
If you roll enough dice - everything dies eventually.
My Deathwing Blog

Offline HORDE

• Infinity Circuit
    • Horde's Deathwing Blog
Re: Horde's Finished Army Project
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:13:56 AM »
2 more down:

this one needs basing! but i'm going at a rate of 1.5 models a night so the 3rd of August is realistic.

Also put the initial base coats on the dreadnought, which is starting to look rather spiffy:

Won't be getting any practice games this week but next week will be testing the addition of the dreadnought to the army. I've played with the 3 terminator squads and a 3 man melta ravenwing squad before. The terminators are solid and do everything i want them to. I'd like to eke out a bit more firepower by dropping 1 TH/SS for a storm bolter but at such a low points value, I need more survivability from my guys. Hopefully a plasma cannon toting dread is going to be a big enough threat at 1K that the termis can go unmolsted for a turn or two.

Strangely, I wouldn't drop the RW from my 1500 or 1750 lists. At that points level I have 4 or 5 termi squads and there's a lot more mech on the table. The RW give me an alpha strike quality I don't need at 1K. Though, with all the spare bits in the venerable dread kit and the dark angels/rw upgrade sprues, I will be putting together another dread with an assualt cannon. If I win this campaign day in August, the prize is going straight into a forgeworld dread with plasma cannon arm so I can do a pure DW army with 4 termi squads and 3 dreads for fun play.
If you roll enough dice - everything dies eventually.
My Deathwing Blog