News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first  (Read 26419 times)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 03:03:11 AM »
First GW game I got into was Battle Masters about 20 years ago. Then when I moved into Secondary school I met new people who were playing Rogue Trader, so figure I'd join in!
The first things I bought was the metal Blood Angel Tactical box, some smelly primer and blood angels red!

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 06:52:54 AM »
My brother got me started early with GW games.  We started with things like BattleMaster, Talismen, Blood Bowl, etc.  '99 roles around and my brother brings home the 40k box set that he split with his friend.  He kept the 3rd ed rule book and the marines (painted them Dark angels) and his friend took the Dark Eldar.  I swear I read that rule book cover to cover more than a dozen times.  I loved the look of the eldar so that summer when I had a bit of cash I went out and bought the battalion box that came with 20 guardians, 3 jet bikes, a vyper, and falcon.

Our first game was a lot of proxies... couple guardians stood in for rangers, a model from the game Mutant Chronicles was my Avatar...

Funny thing is, it's been 11 years and I haven't looked back, but my brother ditched war gaming entirely by 2002

This thread comes up quite frequently, so instead of having multiples of the same thing, I am just going to sticky this one.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 07:30:27 AM »
I was in primary school, year 5 or 6. I went shopping for LEGO with mum and whilst having a look I had the urge to turn around. There it was, Warhammer in all it's boxed glory! Not knowing anything, I got the old cardboard Imperial Battle Bunker, and some Empire Army halberdiers. Mum mail ordered me a paint set and they sent me a white dwarf (210 I think), warhammer monthly and some other neat things along with it. My collection was just random models I liked for ages. I was so happy, I still get that buzz when I buy something new.

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
  • I'm velvety and red. YAY!
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 07:37:49 AM »
When i had been in High School for a year My Friend was very into lord of the rings and we went to town one day to try it out, he cracked on and i got a starter game, which i loved. I bought Moria and Played a lot of LOTR building a 2500pt Gondorian Force. After a while, the guys i used to pay with Fell out of the game (one got banned ffrom the shop for stealing from a starter table) so i had no-one to play with, so i sort of got forced into playing a new game by the shop. So i've been playing 40K for about 3 years now.

The first 40k thing i bought was a Space Marine Combat Squad, which i still have in my Army

-Cakes
Losing to Raktra consistently since 2007...still

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Offline Nomsheep, the Modhunter.

• Sanity is for the weak,
  • Armies: Dark eldar and sons of malice.
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
my cousins persuaded me to play 40k, and i first bought a chimera and the old guard dex
Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;
Rule 66: the cake is a lie

Working tirelessly to revive BattleFleet Fury

WE need YOU

Offline lockerboy

• Hive Fleet Chuck Norris
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 04:39:04 PM »
I started playing about 2 years ago. I got interested when me and my friend were stuck at our sister's dance classes. He told me all about the game of 40k, and the armies. Long story short, saved up a hundred bucks, bought the battle for macragge set, got free lessons, paint, and a case. I've been playing ever since.

"I want to be just like them when I grow up mommy!"
-Some annoying 4-year-old

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 05:17:26 PM »
A schoolfriend who played Epic showed me a catalogue and explained the various factions, describing Eldar as 'Arrogant space-elves, who see warfare as an art form'. Sold. First purchase, WD219 and (somewhat illogically) the spanking new Falcon Grav-tank. Soon after, I got the Eldar codex, only for 3rd edition to come out within months. I felt pretty ripped off, but it has since become my go-to source as far and away the most comprehensive volume in terms of Eldar fluff (with the probable exception of the infamous WD127).
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.

Offline John 117

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »
me and a mate went into G/W about 5 years ago, maybe longer... LOTR looked prettyneat bought some Uruk Hia, got bored of thast very quick... RE visted a year later and discovered Eldar... Love at first site. Mid way through my 3rd Eldar army now :) <3

Offline tek4wiseman

• To win is to enjoy the game.
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »
For me it was mid high school when some friends of mine were actively playing on the weekend, i was broke and had no job but found it all very interesting.  One of my friends let me sit down and paint a tyranid unit he had bought for other people to play with and i spent like 6 hours painting it with a toothpick because i couldnt get the detail i wanted with a paint brush yet.  Eventually i got a job and saved up to buy my first units which were a box of khorne berserkers, a box of chaos space marines, and a night lord hero model to be an act as chaos lord.  I also bought some paints and a few brushes and went to town.  Its been a couple years since i first got interested.
They shall come, expecting the obvious, the simple, the artless. They shall stab at the shadows with confused minds and troubled hearts. Meanwhile, we shall appear unseen from ten directions, and from every one strike a fatal blow.

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
  • All glory to the Hypnotoad .
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »
Twas the year twenty oh four (?) , and my housemate brought a WD back from work with him . Can't remember the issue , was the one with the SOB on the cover ...

Gave it a quick read , it of course made beslubber all sense , but the artwork appealed to me . On a mutual off day we headed off to GW to give it a proper look . After a particularly painfull intro explanation from a employee ( in real life Marines have 2 hearts , and in real life they are 8 feet tall etc . And here was me thinking they were little plastic models  :o ) and an even worse intro game ( my 20 Dark Eldar warriors with 2 Splinter Cannons vs 10 Tac Marines and a Land Speeder ) I was hooked .

Back home a thourough browse of GW's website made me realise 1 thing . The only thing more kick ass than the Terminator is an army of Terminators led by Death ! So , 1 Necron Battleforce , Lord and Codex was acquired and the rest is history . Including my Necrons . Kids , never sell an army , one day you may want to play them again .

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:19:48 PM by Evil_Toast »
Models painted 2011 . 2010 in brackets .
Infantry : 0 (32)
Large Infantry : 0 (9) 
Bikes/Jetbikes : 3 (0)
Walkers/MC's : 0 (5)
Tanks : 0 (4)
Large Tanks : 0 (0)

Last unit painted : 3 Eldar Jetbikes
Screw it, I give up.

Offline Lord Razuli

• Lord of Tubas, incase you were wondering
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
Basically, my brother bought the starter set with the rule book, and gave me the army he didnt want (which was Dark eldar), and was hooked for awhile, but dropped out early in 4th (though I've been playing fantasy skaven from about the same time till now).
What brought me back again was looking at all of the new models DE were getting (add another for the bandwagon).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:47:06 PM by Lord Razuli »

Offline Yarrik

• Self proclaimed prophet of Yarrick
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 06:34:48 PM »
My friend back in Grade 4(?) brought a bunch of his space wolves to school in all there Gr.4 painting skills glory. Played a game of his own divising which he assured me where the rules (such as 3 wounds apeice for his guys, grenades with large blast etc.) So that year I got the Tau starter kit of a massive 4 fire warriors for 24$ and my parents saying "Yeah, I bet this will end up on the floor forgotten in a weeks time"............riiiigh t. I can still pick those 4 warriors out.
The Emperor Protects, but a loaded bolter never hurt.

Offline King Pojo

• King Pojo
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 11:02:58 PM »
Seeing the Eldar miniatures are what first drew me into the hobby.  I loved their armor's organic look and the cool, futuristic weapons. 

I also love building plastic model kits.  I started when I was about 12 years old.  I'm 42 now and still like to build them. 

I have loved table top wargames since 10th Grade in high school.  I took Military History that year and we had to play those old style games as part of our grade.  Does anyone remember the old West End Games historical wargames with the cardboard squares to represent the regiments?  We played the American Civil War series.  I played as the Confederacy and won Shiloh, Chickamauga, Vicksburg, Fredricksburg and Gettysburg and I fought Antietam to a stalemate. 

I'm also an amateur writer and hope to become a professional author when I retire.  I LOVE the whole idea of creating your own fluff and backgrounds for your army.

Like I stated above, my first love was Eldar, but now I've been converted to Chaos and am starting a Red Corsairs army.  I decided Renegade Marines were more my playing style than Eldar.  Maybe having worked in law enforcement for 22 years dealing with criminals has warped me, I don't know.  I just know I realy love playing as the reavers of the Maelstrom.  I visualize my bad boys being quite the trophy takers.  I used to be quite the hunter when I was younger.  Maybe that has a bit to do with me choosing Huron and the boys.

I just love the whole aspect of the hobby!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:05:29 PM by King Pojo »
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."--Robert E. Howard

Offline KOTTPON

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 03:07:15 AM »
My eldest son got a game box with SM and DE back in 2001 for his tenth birthday.
He got the good guys I got the bad evil dudes. Now I have about 3000 pts of them.

The space marines kept shooting them to pieces as they ran across the carpet formed planet.
Then I found speed in the form of jet bikes.

A guy from the local GW store invited me to play with his mates.
I won a game. Fell over the line in a game with quarters - what was that called.

Now I love creating conversions. My DE are looters they loot anything - even a Pod racer and a klingon bird of prey.
Unfortunatly my painting is bad and my army became the Kabal of overdone graphics.

Now I am looking forward to converting the new models.
Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music, music is the best.
Wisdom is the domaine of the wis. Beauty is a french phonetic corruption for a short cloth neck ornament.

Offline Remy-LeBeau

• Newest
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
My buddy was playing a skirmish with another one of his friends when I came over one day.  So I borrowed an ork army, played, and liked it enough to sink money into it.  Eventually I decided to change things up and started making a Guard army which is now my current project.

Offline shad0w

• Rejoice my brothers, for the darkness comes
« Reply #35 on: October 4, 2010, 04:46:05 PM »
just before the turn of the millenium somebody decided to buy me a space marine command starter set and that was where it all began. As i was only 7 at the time i had no idea what i wanted so people kept buying me random stuff. A tactical squad and bike for marines, a bunch of skeletons with a chariot, a giant, some knights, a few necrons, a hive tyrant and even a few IG tanks and ork bods. The one thing that stuck though was my dark eldar. Even with all of the models i had i thought they looked the most awesomest. Then i found out about a magical thing called a "codex". wierd i know but when i began reading about them i became utterly hooked. Long story short, 9 years later i decided that the constant humiliating defearts resulting from me not being very good with my dark eldar caused me to change to fantasy. Guess what army? that's right dark elves. Then i went on and bought my friends mordor orcs and suddenly decided tyranids would be fun. Now i'm sitting here drooling over the very idea of more dark eldar and looking guiltily at those models i've had for the past 11 years that i can still pick out from my army. My christmas list will be big indeed this year.
Sounds fun, don't you just love fighting guardsmen in close combat with wyches? It's like charging into a room full of kittens with a chainsaw.  ;D

Offline khornack the bloody

• I Love the chaos god khorne
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:25 AM »
well i first started playing 40k when i went in gw about a year and 2 months ago and i had my first game as eldar then i start wfb and still have my dark elf army then i started chaos marines quit them went to normal marines then went back to chaos marines

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 05:41:59 AM »
I started back in 8th grade, so around 2003?  My friend showed me the GW site, and gave me a couple of novels.  I was enthralled in the setting, and then began looking into the hobby.

My first army was Necrons, and I earned a lot of awards with them, I still remember when I brought Flayed Ones to a tourny, and they actually rocked the house.  Got Best Army from that event, but eventually I moved onto Chaos, as well as dabbled in other armies.  Though a bit over a year ago, someone stole my Necron army.  Yup, my first army was stolen years down the road.

Though I think I'll be able to trade the leftover bugs from my newest army project for some new Necrons, and then with the new codex out in the next fifteen years, I'll make a return.

Offline Garion

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 06:49:54 AM »
A friend of mime, and 40k Orks player, brough me along to see a couples of his games and tough me how to assemble and paint the miniatures. I realy liked the game and so I decide to start my own army. Yeah ... but witch army ?? I jumped from army to army on the GW website, checking the various models and after a couple of day I got my answere: Eldar!
I'll admin that I choose them only for the models themself, I known very little about thery background at the time.

The next step was to buy the Assault on Black Reach set, for the rulebook/templates and to start to practice on the models, and the Eldar codex.  A month or so after that I bought my first Eldar models.

G

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 07:12:14 AM »
I was at sea 6 years ago ish in the canadian Navy, and a fellow 40KO member introduced me to it durring the trip. Started with Marines, and now expanded into Eldar. What interested me the most was the modeling. As the trip was a long one I had time with an experienced gamer/modeler to provide plenty of help and tutoring to avoid feeling over whelmed, lost and inadequet.

I think it was about 6 years before that I had attempted a Bretonian Army only to fail miserably due to lack of knowledge, and lack of comrades that shared the interest to maintain a growing experience with it. The remaining Brets I have are now miniscule bits and pieces that I have salvaged before disposal.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. I could have salvaged more, had I waited just a little longer... LOL Ah well.