News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: DA Lore  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Adminir

DA Lore
« on: September 8, 2008, 12:03:56 AM »
Just wondering if anyone can guide me in the direction of more info regarding the DA's. I have read my DA codex thoroughly and have read Descent of Angels and Angels of Darkness.

I keep wondering to myself if they are really, truly, loyal to the Emperor or if perhaps GW is going to pull some big twist and turn them to the ruinous powers by discovering the actual truth about their 'secret mission.' They fight for the Imperium, but their mission comes first and foremost...

Thanks in advance.

Offline Bumbles

• I supported No'Akei and all I got was this silly title
Re: DA Lore
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2008, 12:56:23 AM »
Check out Index Astartes (I think volume 1) for the Dark Angels entry.

If anything, the DA would commit suicide before falling into further corruption.
The Deathwing would kill everyone in the Chapter before that could happen.

And I've a theory as to why Cypher stole the geneseed from Boreas.
Assuming that Cypher is (1) the latest Lord Cypher from the olden days, (2) he was sent to Calliban by the Lion as either punishment/to keep an eye on Luther and (3) He was Terran, rather then Callibanite and (4) he knew Astelan and (5) he was his friend

THEREFORE: He did it to get revenge on/mess with the head of the man who tortured Astelan (therefore, to be a nuisance)
« Last Edit: September 8, 2008, 05:28:42 AM by Daniel, Duck Lord of the True Kin »

Offline Dark Angel Entreri

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:24:23 PM »
I just picked up angels of darkness and read decent of angels a couple weeks ago.
Paul

Offline Mr.Zombie Pogo Stick

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 03:28:23 PM »
The mission ALWAYS comes first it says in the 2nd ed codex (Angel Of Darkness)(Its older than me) that they have been known to pull out of big campaigns without giving any good reasons.
Can I have sex with it while killing it? - Daniel, Duck Lord of the True Kin
I always thought Autarch's were a bit fruity - Seraph Tenacious
oh holy jumped-up christ on a pogo-stick! - Rasmus
Hey look i can post the word poop fifty times -DestroyerOfWorlds
seven randomly selected Lithuanians get mumps every time someone digs up an old thread - Mr Peanut
Be yourself, don't take anyone's amphetamine parrot, and never let them take you alive." - Gerard Way

Offline Dark Angel Entreri

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 03:54:36 PM »
I think that was part of the fluff in 1st ed too when I was playing last. Hunting the fallen is primary.
Paul

Offline Rhandolph

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »
Perhaps 'they' have not decided on the truth yet, but whatever the full truth was 10 000 years ago the DAs are faithful now despite the whole 'original sin' package. I remember in RT days when the Dark Angels wore black armour that the only background fluff suggested they had argued during the heresy as to which side to take, they chose the Emperor but whether it was settled by a vote or actual combat between factions was unclear, they seemed 'dark' because you thought they might be tempted by chaos in the future, now we know much more.

I have always wondered if there is a list with all the fallen on that they cross names off when they are hunted down, because surely some of those fallen who were scattered through time and space must have been killed in unrelated wars or accidents or appeared so far back or forward in time or space that they will never be accounted for, unless they were all roughly sent the same way/time ahead but then what have the DAs been doing these last 10 000 years? 

Its a good background but I think DA stuff dwells on it too much as it is only once in a blue moon that they engage in fighting the Fallen instead of the numerous other foes, and 85% of the chapter know nothing about it.
Friendly games.. shouldn't they all be friendly games??

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:52:17 AM »
I don't see the DA's as falling to chaos.  GW definitely won't do that as that would break the 40k plot which is as stagnant as a swamp.  But aside from that, I have always though of them as very loyal as that is why they are on the crusade to find the fallen in the first place, atonement. 

Decent of Angels, despite being a waste of good paper and ink, does raise some interesting ideas as to why the fallen fell but I don't think it raises the question of where the DA's loyalty lies. 

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
I have always wondered if there is a list with all the fallen on that they cross names off when they are hunted down, because surely some of those fallen who were scattered through time and space must have been killed in unrelated wars or accidents or appeared so far back or forward in time or space that they will never be accounted for, unless they were all roughly sent the same way/time ahead but then what have the DAs been doing these last 10 000 years? 

thats why its a futile mission - one that cant be completed, but they will strive for it nonetheless...

there are lots of theories that are agreed or disagreed upon in varying degrees. however, whatever way you look at it i think that was the point... the differing ideas breed an air of the unknown, of suspicion and the like.

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:00:38 AM »
While it's not really lore per say, The novel Deathwing has a short story within it detailing how Deathwing terminators got their bone white armor. The book The Galaxy Must Burn also has some short stories involving Dark Angels and fallen but it's not really canon lore..