News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vespid crisis suit -update (painting begins)  (Read 19662 times)

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
Re: Vespid Stealth/Crisis suit idea?
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 02:13:45 PM »
His fist doesn't look too big to me.. i'm considering using the original tyrant guard fists, cut down a bit and repairing the claws....

Looking good so far, though I must admit the gun does seem to stick out quite a bit..

Offline O.I.C.

• Ork Skarboy
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 02:34:43 PM »

wow!!

just say this post, and the pics..very impresive..i hate tau.. but would LOVE to stand across the table form your army.

OIC

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 06:19:32 PM »
thanks alot OIC.

Maxxev -that was my original idea too.  to simply rework the tyrant claws a little bit and viola!  I thought them to be too large though.  although today, I was actually looking at the feet as possibilities for claws. 

later WG

-edit  I stumbled across an aesthetic I really like in these shields on the carapace.  there is a curve in the armor that works just right.  I wish I could put one on the other side but the cannon is in the way.  fixed the cannon so that it isn't quite so tall.  required cutting off one of the little cylindrical things from the plasma rifle.  I also exploded glue all over the thing which pissed me off to no end.  The shield piece is barely on there right now.  I would integrate it more.

I am almost thinking of 'counting' the the thing 'as' commander shadowsun.  two fusion?  similar to my twin linked fusion idea.  Advanced target lock?  I can certainly imagine that thing turning predator style and locking on th a different target.  Drones?  I was thinking I could make those shield things removable and take them off if the shield drones get roasted.  Command and control drone?  same thing.  make the large antennae on the back removable.  I want this thing to work with Vespid and Vespid stealth suits.  so the leadership bonus would be fluffy (to Vespid) and really helpful. 

or not.  I am also sort of back to the drawing board of just creating my own race so i could have pure artistic licence and fluffistic licence.  though I have done a lot of stuff already to make it vespidesque.

later WG
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:06:59 AM by web ghost »

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
Re: Vespid crisis suit -update 7/25
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2007, 02:00:58 PM »
I think keep it Vespid.

I also think the gun looks a lot better though Iant help feeling that being intergrated into the armour would help a lot... shield looks pretty cool there.

Got some paperclips to use as wire for my own so I'll get back to it soo, at the moment he's just a filled down top and bottom half of the tyrant with no head...

Thanx for the update!

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2007, 05:16:16 PM »
thanks mang.  I can assure you that paper clips will be too thin and won't support the weight of the metal hive tyrant.  I would suggest going to the hardware store and getting some thicker wire.  coat hangers would be better than paper clips though they would be too thick.  :P

later WG

Offline sojung

• For the Motherland!
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »
 :o

Loooking toooootallly osome dude!

How many antennae in the back is he going to have?

It'll be cool if it kind of like, have two more going up its back. Like eldar wraitguard/lords with their spines.
Or else, have it splayed out horizontally... ooo I donno too many things that could be done to the back me thinks!

The gun still seems to be top-heavy, but I think that's because there's a huge cavity missing where the arm would go. I'm sure once you added something hefty below it will counter-weight against the gun. But still, osome osome osome.

sj

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2007, 03:03:38 AM »
thanks mang.  I can assure you that paper clips will be too thin and won't support the weight of the metal hive tyrant.  I would suggest going to the hardware store and getting some thicker wire.  coat hangers would be better than paper clips though they would be too thick.  :P

later WG

I didn't explain that well, I meant for the pinning and arms... got the day off today so i'm going to look for some thick wire, but thanx for the heads up anyway :)

Offline O.I.C.

• Ork Skarboy
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2007, 10:43:48 AM »

okie kinda off topic but something i realy need to learn.

HOW do you take such great photos?!?

Offline Werwolf Traitor

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2007, 04:58:47 PM »
Your doing nice work, cant wait to see it finished.

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #49 on: August 3, 2007, 08:52:39 PM »
here we are:

some progress.  finally sculpted the thick tubes to the right start of the body so I could finally get to the other arm and leg (didn't want to try to sculpt on th tubes under the arms.  added second antennae.  glued on shield thing.  sculpted carapace around it a bit to make it look a bit more integrated into the armor.  will touch that up.  started on the arm and leg.  started antennae on head.  Originally I was simply going to use a strain leaders antennae but I figured I may as well try to sculpt it.  pain in th ass.  will probably go with the original plan but at least you can kind of see what it looks like with the vespidy antennae on it's head. 

what do you think?  antennae on the back?  Gun to big?  it honestly looks more awkward in the photos then in person.  should it be reworked to allow room for second shield on that shoulder as well?

later WG

Offline dybbukdude28

• Peolple who spell bad sukc at liffe. Orks*cough*
Re: Vespid crisis suit -update 8/3
« Reply #50 on: August 3, 2007, 10:11:20 PM »
That is just absolutely great i give you props go stingwings!

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
« Reply #51 on: August 3, 2007, 11:25:38 PM »
gun looks ok, not too sure about the  antennae I think I would make them go straight up...

Looking great though... must get on with mine, all i've done is pin the 2 halves of the body together :(

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #52 on: August 5, 2007, 02:40:40 PM »
thanks dudes.  the antennae will be replaced with strain leader antennae.  I worry that the wings will make it look goofy.  I have been thinking about sort of containment fields or something that augment the vibrations of the wings whilst disguising them (model wise) a bit.  I'll have to see what they look like. 

later WG

Offline nurgle5

« Reply #53 on: August 5, 2007, 03:25:54 PM »
Lookin' good WG ;)! I am always mystified by how well metal wire supports work for you, any tips?

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #54 on: August 5, 2007, 04:45:28 PM »
well for this I used pretty thick gauge wire.  I usually drill a hole through the base and leave one or both feet/leg wires too long so that I can put them through the hole and then bend the wire with a tool so that it is locked in place.  I then do a sort of under structure focusing on greenstuffing the feet down solidly to the base.  Usually works pretty well.  For arms on this I pinned them into the metal so they are pretty solid.  Some stuff bends a little though some times which can be annoying for sculpting. 

later WG

Offline Berserker fat-tree

• The powa of the dark gods makes me smrt!
  • I got banned becuase I'm an idiot.
« Reply #55 on: August 6, 2007, 12:25:17 AM »
wow now that is a nive vespid in battlesuit.. u are a legend at converting :D
Banned!

Offline Mabrothrax

• Don't let the 'newbie' tag fool you
    • www.freewebs.com/malal-lives.com
« Reply #56 on: August 9, 2007, 09:37:30 AM »
Once again Web ghost you've found acool concept and followed it through. Much Kudos.

As part of a campiagn I'm part of I'm gonna be working on a Tau force with a strong Vespid theme - a Vespid special character is deffinately on the cards, so I'm gonna try doing a crisis/stealth Vespid based on your ideas, although I'll probably use 'nid parts to make the arms/legs.

Keep up the great work  :)

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
« Reply #57 on: August 9, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »
Looks awsome webghost, and judging from your previous seen painting work this will be a piece worth taking to a tournament and score points with. However. .could you take a picture with a XV8 suit next to it? Something tells me that this buddy is going to be bigger then a crises suit!

Not that thats a problem, I really like the vespid suit and would love to see someone create a whole army of those buggers in a similiar fashion. The only problem would be the ''fire warriors'. Hmm

Offline phisicsbof

• Blood Runs Anger Rises Death wakes War Calls!
« Reply #58 on: August 9, 2007, 10:45:18 AM »
It looks great and i can't wait to see it complete and fully painted.

"the stars themselves once lived and died at our cammand, and yet you still dare oppose our will"
My craftworlds story(Update 2)
Create your own Craft world

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
« Reply #59 on: August 9, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »
thanks dudes.  the antennae will be replaced with strain leader antennae.  I worry that the wings will make it look goofy.  I have been thinking about sort of containment fields or something that augment the vibrations of the wings whilst disguising them (model wise) a bit.  I'll have to see what they look like. 

later WG

sorry I meant the ones sticking out of his back...