News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Weavers: The Dragonking (Non-GW Fantasy)  (Read 795 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Weavers: The Dragonking (Non-GW Fantasy)
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
Set just under two and a half centuries before 'The Raven', follows the radical change of Heylin Istarria, the greatest living fighter on Ulei. Two part short.

Weavers: The Dragonking

Part One

“Come on! Gather ‘round young ones” a wizened old Elf said as he ushered the numerous children around the fire, in a semi-circle from his little wooden stool behind it.

“What story will you tell us tonight grandfather?” a little blonde girl asked, giddy with excitement, her eyes full of life. She was one of the youngest there, no older than seven, while there were some as old as thirteen that had sat down.

“Well” he began before sitting down on his stool, sighing slightly, “I thought that tonight I would tell you all the story of Heylin, The Dragonking” Many of the audience gasped and beamed with anticipation, for the Serjest took great pleasure in their story-telling and singing.

“Now then, does anyone know anything about the Dragonking? Anything at all?”

“Oh!” a slightly older boy exclaimed excitedly, jumping to his feet. “He was an Istarria wasn’t he?”

The old man smiled and nodded, “Yes indeed, Heylin was indeed of the Istarria bloodline, a direct male-line descendant of Allaidro Istarria the first, as well as a member of the Sect of Istarria, as is customary for the Istarria family”

“But grandfather” the blond girl spoke again, “Heylin was a bad person wasn’t he?” she frowned in confusion, “Mother said he hunts people…”

“Hohohohohooo” the old man chuckled “Heylin only hunts those who he considers a ‘worthy’ challenge for him, and trust me when I say that if any of you wanted to be considered a worthy challenge you would have to work very hard for a very long time”

“But he is a bad person isn’t he?” one of the oldest children present asked.

“Well…” the old man said, smiling again, “That is for you to decide after I tell you his story” Once more his audience seemed captivated by their own curiosity.

The storyteller shifted slightly in his seat, grunting quietly. “Let‘s see then,” he said as he looked to the sky  while remembering all the necessary details, “It all began two hundred and forty two years ago, shortly after Heylin had both married and officially been accepted as an Istarrian…”

“Parry! Parry Heylin!” the instructor had spoken too late as the blow connected perfectly to the side of the auburn-haired young man’s head, sending him reeling backwards and open for a Kruhnos-aided flying kick. Due to the immense boost of speed the Istarrian trademark technique afforded he did not have time to react.

“Uuuuurgh!” he grunted as he hit the training room’s wall hard.

The dark haired instructor sighed. “You need to work on your parrying Heylin, just because you are a Selkie and naturally have highly tuned reflexes does not mean you should grow sloppy” she said to the Elf who was just now picking himself of the floor, rubbing his back and head.

“Yes ma’am” he replied, inclining his head slightly out of respect for the elder’s words of advice.

The instructor frowned slightly. “That is enough for today, we can continue the match tomorrow, after you have been given more time to practice” she said scoldingly, leaving the large, domed, circular room with the other Elf.

Heylin sighed, angry at himself for his sloppy performance. He looked back towards the door with his green eyes, checking to make sure they were gone. Once it was confirmed he punched the wall, pouring all of his frustration into the assault.

Unfortunately even Selkies do not have the strength to punch a solid metal wall without severely bruising their hand at least. “Ghaidron damnit!” he yelled while shaking his now throbbing hand.

He heard soft laughter behind him and twirled around, coming face to face with a beautiful ebony haired woman, beaming at the sight of her hot-headed husband. “What did that wall ever do to you?” she inquired playfully, walking towards him, still beaming.

He frowned, deciding to play too, “It hurt my back” he whined.

She laughed softly again, taking his injured hand in hers. “I hope our children wont be as foolish as you, picking fights with walls, honestly” she rolled her eyes.

He looked at her with a raised eyebrow accusingly. “Talking of children, shouldn’t you be resting? You are sleeping for two now” he dropped to one knee admiring her, now, slightly swollen stomach.

“I can’t sleep all the time though can I? You wouldn’t want me to get fat now would you?” she cocked her head to the side.

“You wont get fat just for resting” he said dismissively, “Besides, if you work yourself too hard then I may have to tie you to the bed to prevent you from going about my chores” Heylin rose to his feet once more.

She stuck her tongue out at him, “Fine, have it your way, but on my way home I will be visiting my mother”

“‘On your way home’? Your mother lives in one of the outskirt villages”

“Oh relax, it’s not like I’ll be walking” she kissed his cheek lightly before twirling around and walking away, “I shall be back before the evening”

Heylin could not help but beam as his wife left the room in such a happy mood, he had even forgot about his sparring and self-inflicted injuries.

That was until they started throbbing horribly again…

All suggestions, questions and comments welcome, hopefully second part wont be long off :).

~MTWC
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
Re: Weavers: The Dragonking (Non-GW Fantasy)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 11:51:57 AM »
I like it Mak, it gives you a glimpse of the world and it's denizens, but doesn't give away too much too soon. I like the tone of the story so far, very light, innocent and playful. This is what I think of when I think of elves myself (except for dark elves, drow etc...) I'm looking forward to see how this plays out and look forward to reading more.  :)

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?