News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Back after a 'Short' Absence  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Back after a 'Short' Absence
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2022, 08:48:49 AM »
On the one hand, it's April 1st, so I don't quite buy it.

On the other hand, they've put every other damned faction in the game, no matter how obscure, so it wouldn't surprise me. Expect Exodites next.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #2 on: April 1, 2022, 04:16:19 PM »
I've seen some rumours of Squats doing the rounds for a few weeks now, so I don't think it's an April Fool's joke; especially given the production quality of it.

I for one am fully on board the train if they are rejuvenating Squats. They were my very first army and I really hope they come back as I will be getting an army.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #3 on: April 2, 2022, 12:51:00 AM »
Not gonna lie, first time I hear of them. So I though that an April's fools joke. We will see
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: April 2, 2022, 11:44:17 AM »
Well, they revealed their first model (and it's pretty sweet, if I do say so myself). Looking foward to seeing the full range!

Also, League of Votann is waaaay better than "Squats."

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2022, 12:09:05 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/02/what-april-fools-the-41st-millenniums-next-faction-is-real-heres-a-model-to-prove-it/

I'm pleasantly surprised it's real. Looks like a cool dude, interested to see what the whole line will be. Been a long time since we've had a new faction in 40k.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #6 on: April 2, 2022, 05:35:29 PM »
Well, they revealed their first model (and it's pretty sweet, if I do say so myself). Looking foward to seeing the full range!

Also, League of Votann is waaaay better than "Squats."

It may be a better name, but I'll be pretty surprised if Squats isn't used a lot more.

I'm excited by this. I didn't want to believe that they were coming back because I didn't want to be disappointed. It's good that they confirmed it so quickly. The mini itself doesn't give much away, but it's a nice sculpt with some solid details on it. We've definitely moved away from the 'short person in the Imperial Guard' aesthetic that they used to rock (except for the guild bikers and Exo-armoured dudes, at any rate.

Looking forward to more reveals in the coming months.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #7 on: April 2, 2022, 05:59:59 PM »
We haven't given up (Dark)Elder or Imperial Guard, we're not giving up Squats as a name. Don't get me started on t'au either.

Good to see them back. I miss the old hairy bastards on trikes and the young hairy bastards in their life jackets. The new model looks a bit Krogan like but meh, I can live with it.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2022, 07:05:05 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #8 on: April 2, 2022, 11:05:26 PM »
We haven't given up (Dark)Elder or Imperial Guard, we're not giving up Squats as a name. Don't get me started on t'au either.
I think the difference there is that the name change for Eldar and Imperial Guard came while they were established.  Most people are unfamiliar with Squats beyond the meme that the hive fleets nommed them into extinction.  I think that Squat is still going to be a common term for them, but we may see them referred to a lot as "Kin".
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #9 on: April 3, 2022, 06:53:05 AM »
I was thinking that if that was just an April Fools joke, it was both a very elaborate one and a particularly cruel one too.  But it’s not a joke.  ;D

Love the mini and the new name.  I haven’t rated GW names of late but this one is just right.  Eagerly awaiting more info too.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #10 on: April 3, 2022, 10:48:02 AM »
I was thinking that if that was just an April Fools joke, it was both a very elaborate one and a particularly cruel one too.  But it’s not a joke.  ;D

Oh, it was definitely intentional there.

Personally, i love the updated look. They aren't just Fantasy Dwarves with Imperial weapons anymore, they have a clearly defined aesthetic that stands out as their own, but is also very much has a line of descent from other 'Human' technologies.

We'll have to wait to see the rest of the line up, but i'm already thinking about a Deep Rock Galactic inspired Kill Team...
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: April 3, 2022, 05:39:58 PM »
Oh, it was definitely intentional there.

Personally, i love the updated look. They aren't just Fantasy Dwarves with Imperial weapons anymore, they have a clearly defined aesthetic that stands out as their own, but is also very much has a line of descent from other 'Human' technologies.

We'll have to wait to see the rest of the line up, but i'm already thinking about a Deep Rock Galactic inspired Kill Team...

I just remembered who they reminded me of; the robot from the Blackstone Fortress set.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #12 on: April 4, 2022, 08:59:20 AM »
I'm hyped! I mean, why not, lol. Part of me wishes they had been made just a smidgeon less human though. In the promo blurb they keep referring to them as "humanity's cousins", but these dudes are less removed from baseline humans than ogryn or ratlings or whatever that making that a big deal seems a bit odd. I mean, I get it's about setting up an independent identity, and people want them to be their own thing and space dwarfs, but visually they're just another abhuman strain. It's their CIVILIZATION that sets them apart.

Anyhoo, I saw someone mention that their aesthetic seems to have shifted from "80s biker gang" to "Vikings the TV show" which made me chuckle. I wonder how much design-overlap there will be with the Space Wolves, I hope they don't get the wires crossed too much, I prefer different factions to have clearly distinct visual elements.

As for the armor, I love the look. It's surprisingly sleek (or curvy, rather). It makes me think of a pseudo-50s atompunk vibe. And more specifically it reminds me of the AT-43 Karmans:

Images removed to avoid hotlinking - Iris.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2022, 02:02:48 PM by Irisado »

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #13 on: April 4, 2022, 04:22:05 PM »
but visually they're just another abhuman strain.

That is how they've been described since they've crept back into the lore.

Still, i think if you were to put one beside a standard Guardsman, they'd look just as different as a Ratling or Ogryn. It'll be easier to see the 'distinctiveness' when you can see them side by side, i suspect.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: April 4, 2022, 04:51:48 PM »
but visually they're just another abhuman strain.

That is how they've been described since they've crept back into the lore.

That's how they've ALWAYS been described. The focus on selling them as "Humanity's cousins" just doesn't vibe with me. Being an abhuman strain isn't what makes them unique, imho.

This is a minor semantic quibble in the marketing, so I won't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #15 on: April 4, 2022, 10:43:59 PM »
Okay, not a great fan of the new(er) model images. Too Ogre/War Boys in look for me.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 09:09:46 PM »
What do you all think of their new background?  Effectively worshipping a bunch of super computers who badly need a software update?

Makes me wonder what else is coming to be shown…robots.  I bet they have robots.  Proper robots.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: May 1, 2022, 09:02:30 AM »
Ok, wow, I had no idea this had been released!

I think it's a neat idea. I'm wondering if this is basically the replacer for Living Ancestors, lorewise, but that will remain to be seen.

It does feel pretty "Dwarfish" though, which I think is a positive. Secretive tech, ancestor "worship", etc.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #18 on: May 1, 2022, 09:54:07 PM »
Personally, i love the updated look.
They have been Tau-ified, for sure.

• Ancient
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria