News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: vonny's APAWDMFATM blog  (Read 8297 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: vonny's APAWDMFATM blog
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »
All I see is a blessed Tau in power armour. Agree with Orange about the work involved with the 50/50. You've got a longer attention span than me, mate... Be well!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 03:38:22 AM »
Wow wow wow!

Great updates Vonny. First off, as a Skaven aficionado, I just love those Rats! The whole composition is great. I love that your Gutters are super stealthy, the Storm Vermin look amazing...just everything ng is great about them and the bases compliment them perfectly.

The Death Guard are just wonderfully dirty. I really like the lighter colour scheme. I agree with Cav, it's great to see that more 'FW' style of colour scheme and painting. Wicked awesome.

As for the test Marine? Not sure, but the only thing I can think of that might employ both bone and orange in a colour scheme is a Fire Dragon. That's my guess, but I think I'm way off the mark on this one!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 07:07:19 AM »
Dude! Those Death Guard are excellent :) i love the streaky white/green you've got on them. What was the technique?

Really nice backdrop to the burnished gold trim.
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
Ah ok! Yeah green for the cloth on the Death Guard. Hmmmm No I dont think I would do Warpstone Glow type green on the cloth. But perhaps some pale Straken/Nurgling green would look cool. Just my opinion of course. Also yeah! Love the scheme on the test model... Is it for Sky Serpents Dark Eldar? Tau Perhaps? Not sure... either way I'm intrigued! Can't wait for more! Also do let me know about the cloth on the Death Guard. Interested to see which way you are gonna go. ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
@Orange Dutchmarines, hah! I like that. I actually didn't find halved marines that much work at all, and thought it was quite fun. And while I waited for one side to dry I could continue on the other side.

@Saim-dann no Tau either. That's one of my house-mates armies, and I wouldn't dare to butt in on that ;) Again, I didn't feel the halved marines to be that difficult.

@looshkin Hey, thanks! Those compliments on my skaven are very welcome. A fire dragon would actually be quite possible, seeing as how I have eldar, but no, it's not them either.

@Ynnead thanks! I used Nurgling green with a sepia wash all over, and then just roughly painted streaks in the direction of the armour plating with... ehhh... Pallid wych flesh. So quick and easy! That was actually one of my goals as the thousand sons were quick and easy too, but there's so much detail on these death guard it's hard to keep them quick.

@cav Dark Eldar... it might get used for them as well, maybe... and still no Tau. Unfortunately, it'll be a while before I can give the answer, because first I want to finish my current project, and then do a bit of work on those death guard.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:19:18 PM by vonny »
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »
That technique's right up my street! That's basically all my painting ever is, washes amd streaky drybrushing ;) i'm all for quick and easy techniques that look great

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
So, first off, the project I had been working on in the meantime.

Some necrons!

This monolith was the last thing I was actually working on

A converted cryptek, which I built out of left over parts from the triarch stalker conversion

The triarch stalker in question. Now that the unit has living metal, which is a big no no for canopteks, I want to convert it differently, but... ah well. Maybe when I next buy a starter set.

Scarabs...

And their boss

Then, I continued on on my death guard... and decided to stop again already. I don't know how I want to color the remaining things (hair on the severed head, maggots on their armour, hair on a severed head), and it's just demotivating me a bit. So I figured I should paint on something I'm motivated on!
I wouldn't want to keep the progress from you though, so here's the images.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
Holy crap those death guard look incredible. I love how you've streaked the armour. Totally reminds me of the cleaved colour scheme from the 5th edition codex.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 02:16:10 PM »
WHAT!? Holy crap! These look incredible Vonny! WOW! Such a unique idea... the marble type look is INSANE! Wow and its executed so perfectly. Just incredible! The Monolith and the legs on the Triarch Stalker are just absolute show stoppers. Wow. I love this army to death Vonny! My only suggestion would be perhaps to take up the highlight on the gems (But not the orb in the Overlords hand) and the rims around the eyes up a single highlight more to Nurgling Green. Thats my only suggestion and I don't think its a necessity. But man did you kill this army congrats on such a unique looking Necron force. Wow!

Also the Death Guard look phenomenal as well. I'd imagine its been a really challenging paint scheme but you've just absolutely nailed it. I wouldn't change a thing. As for the questions... I'm not sure about the Maggots (perhaps Nurgling green, or tannish color like Zendri Dust, or Ushbati Bone highlighted with Screaming Skull?)  but maybe blonde hair on the severed heads? Not sure.

Either way though both forces look absolutley amazing. So unique... right up there with your Iyanden which is just exemplary. Love it Vonny! Keep rocking and keep us posted!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
Damn Cav was not wrong! Excellent update :) those Death Guard are some of the most original I've seen, and everyone loves some Yngir ;)

My vote is for Nurgling Green for the maggots (with a Drakenhof Nightshade or similar dark green wash to give them definition and bring them closer in colour to the cloaks).

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 06:04:18 PM »
Oh Snap!
I don't know what to praise first!
Absolutely love the effect on the Monolith and the Triarch stalker, I've seen people attempt similar on a few occasions but I haven't seen anyone pull it off half as well as you have here!
Those Death Guard are looking super awesome as well, I love that you have used the old heresy era colour scheme for their armour and you've got a really good balance of the mutations and dirt on the models that they don't look too cluttered or busy (as many of those new models do) but do still keep that Nurgle feeling to them.
You've smashed it Vonny, absolutely awesome stuff!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 07:13:58 PM »
I forgot to say about the monolith: I'm especially proud of the 'glow' I painted on the inside of the doorway as it actually looks as if that green plastic is reflecting off of it, and I've not yet decided how to paint the necron skull on the panel above the portal.

Other than that, thank you guys for the compliments. I'm rather happy with my deathguard, although I agree with you that the newer models are easy to get a cluttered look. They have so many little details, and different little details at that, that it's hard to just simply paint them quick and easy.

Cav, I'll look into your suggestion about the nurgling green - will get back to you on that!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 07:25:18 PM »
wow those necron look great, very nice energy field effecct.

The death guard having a pale skin colour is really creepy :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 04:57:59 AM »
Wow, Vonny, those Necrons look great. The marble effect is so very well done and as a result the Monolith and the Triarch Stalker look very striking. Very well done.

The other Necrons look good, but I think that they might be better with a bit more contrast on the metal. It all looks fairly 1 tone on the photos. Now, that said, it's more than likely an exposure problem as the photos are against a white background and that will wash out the detail. Don't get me wrong, they're very well finished and the attention to detail is excellent, but I think they could pop a little more, like the Stalker and Monolith manage.

The Death Guard...just wow. It's such a great, cohesive force, it really is super impressive how well done they are and how unified in rot they appear. How will you be basing them?

Just terrific work Vonny, thank you for sharing.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 06:03:36 AM »
The necrons are a 'paint it very very quickly' force, so I spent very little time on the metal, but yes, it does look a bit better in real life.

As for the basing of the Death guard. dark grey rocks, some snow, and some maggots.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 06:09:06 AM »
The necrons are a 'paint it very very quickly' force, so I spent very little time on the metal, but yes, it does look a bit better in real life.

As for the basing of the Death guard. dark grey rocks, some snow, and some maggots.

That's what I figured. Unless you have a brilliant light setup, so much detail gets lost when taking photos and posting.

Those bases should be amazing with the Death Guard! Looking forward to seeing them.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
OH-MY-GIDDY-AUNT!!
You've got some serious skills there, Vonny. Looking through your projects is always a treat... Pointy ears forever!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
Remember sometime ago when I posted a dual-colored marine? Well, now I've actually finished the first model that uses those colors, but in the actual army I want to field them.

Meet Jones. He's been acting strangely.

The painting looks a lot worse than it actually is, due to photo quality. It looks like really thick layers, but that's not the case on the real model.
I went with orange jumpsuits because I figured it's a nice cross between US prison garb and high visibility work jackets which seems great for a working population in the Imperium of Man.

While unfortunately no pointy ears, expect more of these guys to show up in this thread soon!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
Awesome! Killer job Vonny... LOVE the color scheme. Really gonna stand out but come across as thematic. I get a very Alien (the first film) vibe from this dude which is ACES all day. Love the paint job too, doesn't look thick at all to me. It just looks a little sickly in his face which I love. Can't wait to see these alongside your bugs. Would've never suspected these guys were inbound... but I guess that fits the lore! lol

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
Neat! Love the colour scheme, amd I can see what you mean about the pic not doing it justice. The shoulder pad on the right is what i'm imagining the rest looks like under better lighting. Like it's textured ceramic of some sort :)

Ooh! One thing I saw I think it was on Dark Eldar or something where a guy had a very similar scheme, but had just lightly drybrushed the exposed edges and corners with a warm gold or Warplock Bronze or something like that as if the ceramic coating of the metal plates had worn off at the edges. Looked stunning :)

No need to do it just because i've said it of course, but it would look really neat ;)