Sorry for the long delay! I had a week visiting my brother and his family with my son. Loads of fun, but very little painting. My nephew has recently really got into 40k, so we managed to do a little bit of painting and we also broke out his minis (bolstered by some of mine) and played a small battle; 20 power, with his Dark Angels against my Ad Mech. It was all about us learning some rules and having a bit of fun (so we missed out things like the command phase and objectives, so it was as streamlined as possible). I also got my son to roll some dice so he was involved...you have to start them somewhere, right?
A couple of weeks later, I was coaching for a week at an American football minicamp...the great thing being that it was work, so I didn't have to take leave and was paid throughout...some days the military is quite cool! On the final day, we finished early and I went home via Warhammer World.
Where I saw the biggest plushie Nurgling I could imagine!
It was really cool seeing the actual Eavy Metal minis that I was painting at the time:
I was sorely tempted, but sense took over, fortunately:
I then went up to Bugman's Bar for some lunch...where I bumped into an old mate that was in the RAF and whom I played American football with about 12 years ago. We had a good chat, but I had to step away for a bit so that I could have lunch while he played a game against his lunchtime opponent...Phil Kelly. He knows a few of the White Dwarf/Game Design bunch...which is very good to know! He's also applying for a job there, so fingers crossed that goes well for him! We've got loose plans to play some Blood Bowl next time I'm in the area (They had a Super Bowl watch party/Blood Bowl night this year, so I'm definitely working on getting an invite to that in the future!
Anyway, onto the actual update!
Well...this update took way longer than I thought. I genuinely believed that, with the early progress I made on all the minis, that I would have something to show after a couple of weeks. Turns out I was enjoying the 'paint weapons gold, wash and then drybrush a bit' plan a bit too much and forgot how to do other techniques quickly.
I wanted an almost monochrome colour scheme. I wanted the Rangers to feel and look stealthy. I had to add a bit of gold and red because they were looking very flat...but I'm happy with the choices that I made and I think these guys and girls turned out to be one of the best units I've painted. One note to self though; use a little filler on the cloaks next time. The seems are way more noticeable than I expected after building and priming.
Not gonna lie, I was really excited by how the chamo cloaks turned out. I added a fine grey edge highlight and it just helped a few things pop.
The grey weapons were so hard to get right; I ended up using about 5 greys and a wash to make it work.
I need to tidy the bottom of this Ranger's helmet. Probably the most boring pose, but the blandness kinda helps the other poses absolutely pop.
Holy cow I love this pose. Such a cool, atmospheric model.
Bare Aeldari faces terrify me. I followed the GW guide and it got me a decent result. I'd love to see a full on masterclass on Warhammer+, but until that happens, I'm ok with this, especially given my set up, which includes fairly crappy lighting.
I'd love to know which piece of kit this thing is...
Still using Cavalier's recipe for stone and it still works so well.
My speed will increase as I get more used to these minis, but I'm working slowly through the Skyshrouds (Horizon, Forbidden West is too good and too tempting to play!). I also have the Autarch on the go, so hopefully those will hit in the next few weeks.
As always, thank you for taking the time to stop by.