News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Croneworld Koxinga Rises  (Read 18368 times)

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
Croneworld Koxinga Rises
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »
Hobbyists of all kinds and flavours, today is the founding of the Croneworld Koxinga PLOG.

This army has been through many iterations and paint schemes, as some of the models date all the way back to Christmas of 1999, and they have always been my main army. Most recently I got back into 40k in early 2015 and am finally bringing the army back in cohesion.

Going way back into the past (2006-7) when the Koxinga Eldar still fought valiantly to keep the touch of She Who Thirsts from their planet, and kept close ties with Ulthwe in their fight around the Eye of Terror:

Banshee Squad and their trusty Wave Serpent

Dire Avengers with Defend and Shimmershield

War Walkers:

Webway Portal (played as Ulthwe Strike Force WWP):

Last but not least, Warlord Tanaka in his still-noble years:

In the gap from 2007 to 2010 the Eldar mostly languished in the cupboard as their numbers were whittled down by the Enemy, and slowly they had to resort to more and more unusual and desperate strategies in the struggle to maintain control over their system. Throughout these years, the Enemy made a game out of the Koxinga Eldar, deciding not to invade in full-force, but rather toy with their minds and souls, giving them unnatural powers and strength, and filling them with a bloodthirsty will to survive. From the rubble of what is now Croneword Koxinga emerged Tanaka the Cannibal and his sinister warhost.

Here is a picture of this army from back in 2010 at a tournament, when the Croneworld theme first started:

As of January 2015 I have shipped my models across the continent and settled down somewhat, and finally have been able to dedicate the time to making Tanaka's cruel warhost a faction to be reckoned with in the Pacific Northwest, on the tabletop and hopefully on the painting table as well.

++

Croneworld Koxinga is a tragic location on the outskirts of the Eye of Terror, occupied by the Eldar for millenia, but increasingly contested by the Necrontyr, Imperium, and of course the forces of Chaos. It is not a Daemon planet like some Croneworlds, but is covered in seemingly uninhabited ruins, and many Imperial armies have established defensive positions there for a time. On every occasion communications simply cut out, as robed figures stalk from the shadows and brutally end the lives of their unsuspecting prey.

Completely out of contact with the Craftworlds, the gnarled Eldritch inhabitants of Croneworld Koxinga slaver over the arrival of their haughty kin in their elegant ships and polished vehicles, as feasting upon their tender flesh is the only way for Warlord Tanaka the Cannibal, Fellseer of Koxinga, to feel invigorated and psychically powerful once more. As the disciplined Craftworld Kin come looking for spirit stones in the Eye of Terror to replenish their stores, Tanaka's minions lie in wait to harvest their living soulstones in return, nourishing their campaign to take back a fallen Empire at any cost.

Tanaka the Cannibal, jetbike retinue, and void shield generator/bunker

Shining Spears + Autarch/Exarch

Rangers + Dark Reapers

Warp Spiders

Jetbikes + Fallen Comrade Relic marker

Heavy Hitters

Fire Dragons + Wraithguard

Hemlock Wraithfighter

Samurai Scorpions + Croneworld Avatar (lost his claws to the WK though)

Wraithknight

Kabuki Harlequins

Shadowseer Tora

Old Troupe Leader (now its the 1980's Avatar model)

Swooping Hawks + Autarch/Exarch (wings WIP)

WIP Farseer Tsume + incense markers (usually for marking DZ or objectives)

So there you have it!

In terms of modelling, all of the robes on the jetbikers, fire dragons, guardians, scorpions, harlequins, etc. are green stuff, along with some of the banners, but the smaller banners (like on the scorpions or jetbikes) are from Perry Miniatures, which is also where the to-scale katanas come from. Tanaka himself is a composite of an Elf Mage, Avenger Exarch, Witch Elf Sorceress, Undead, Perry banner, Eldar of course, Epic Eldar, and samurai models from two different model makers. The samurai rictus mask head was actually a gift from a TO at a tournament, and really sets the whole model off I think -- shoutout to Dale for that!

From a painting perspective, I really poured my heart and soul into gems and highlights on the previous iteration of this army (blue armour with up to 4 highlights, red gems, turquoise hakama pants), and since then my goal has been to just meet decent tabletop standard to get everything on the board for tournaments, and I'm slowly adding detail in as I go.

At this point in time my tournament list that I'm working on can be found in my other thread GT list to think on , along with battle reports from 5 tournaments (two 2-day ones) that the Croneworld Eldar have rampaged through this year. I'll be consolidating these threads together a la Cavalier's almighty thread for convenience's sake. Here is a sneak-peek of the new "scorpion's claw" katana I am adding to scorpion exarch right now, in honour of his epic performance at a tournament recently:

For local events and games, the other list I am running is close-combat and deployment-shenanigans oriented and has also been doing really well, you can check it out in the Eldar Close-Combat; thread.

Watch out for some more mean-looking katanas and brutal batreps to come!

Cheers,
Ibushi
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Croneworld Koxinga Rises
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 06:30:16 PM »
Wow this is great stuff Ibushi. There is some INCREDIBLE stuff here. The Warp Spiders, Swooping Hawks, Hemlock, Jetbikes and Wave Serpents are fantastic looking. I love the freehand petals and the color choices are simply phenomenal. Very original, and some of this stuff is truly nightmarish.

If you could please give us a close-up shot of those Warp Spiders I really love them.

Thanks so much for posting this stuff here Ibushi. Its very original, very well done. I'm really looking forward to following your hobby progress, bat-reps and army development. Keep it up Ibushi you're on fire right in your first p-log post!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 08:12:35 PM »
Wow...Just wow. Fantastic job coming up with a solid, cohesive theme and having the dedication to stick with it for so long. Those vehicle patterning is just sick.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
Incredible work Ibushi. I am genuinely in awe of the amount of time and skill that you have put into your army. The cherry blossom (if that is what it is) is mind blowing. Is it free hand as Cav said? If so you must have the patience of a saint. Likewise your green stuff cloaks are simply brilliant making your kabuki Harlequins in particular something uniquely fantastic.

Cannibalistic Eldar! Could they really be allowed to exist?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:26:32 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:58:52 PM »
Wow this is great stuff Ibushi. There is some INCREDIBLE stuff here. The Warp Spiders, Swooping Hawks, Hemlock, Jetbikes and Wave Serpents are fantastic looking. I love the freehand petals and the color choices are simply phenomenal. Very original, and some of this stuff is truly nightmarish.

If you could please give us a close-up shot of those Warp Spiders I really love them.

Cheers man, appreciate the rave review, and glad you think I captured something nightmarish here. Looking at classical warriors, one of the things that really jumped out at me about the samurai when I was working on my theme, was that often they wore demon masks and had really creepy nightmarish stuff going on, but next to bright colours and elegant weapons -- mix in some GrimDark and sounds like its working! Yeah sorry those warp spider pics are a bit lacklustre, them and the reapers were the first shots I did -- I'll try and get some more. To be honest the spiders have one of the most basic paintjobs of my whole force right now, looking to add a lot more detail there soon. Of all the models here, the Hemlock was painted most recently if that tells you anything.

Wow...Just wow. Fantastic job coming up with a solid, cohesive theme and having the dedication to stick with it for so long. Those vehicle patterning is just sick.

Thanks DW, really appreciate it! It definitely was a labour of love coming up with a theme that finally "clicked". The older models have been painted probably 4 times before finally settling on this scheme, but the trick was narrowing down my palette and restricting the number of colours I wanted to use.

Incredible work Ibushi. I am genuinely in awe of the amount of time and skill that you have put into your army. The cherry blossom (if that is what it is) is mind blowing. Is it free hand as Cav said? If so you must have the patience of a saint. Likewise your green stuff cloaks are simply brilliant making your kabuki Harlequins in particular something uniquely fantastic.

Cannibalistic Eldar! Could they really be allowed to exist?

Thanks Alienscar, it is true the green stuff part can take a long time! Once you get a technique down though, and if you do it squad by squad rather than individually, it speeds up a lot. Yeah everything is oldschool brush and freehand work, but same with the sculpting -- once you get a technique down and have the right brushes and mix ratios ready to go, it is much faster. I do mix the paints separately every time I use them, but that is part of the magic with the blossoms, as it means different areas can shade at different speeds which I like. Makes it a bit more "natural" seeming, ironically. The Kabuki harlequins have to be my favourite unit, I put the most time and effort into them for sure. Plus on the tabletop they are absolute beasts, and have won me many games and several tournaments.

From a fluff perspective, the blossoms are meant to be both a plum blossom colourscheme of the Koxinga Eldar, as the plum blossom is known to bloom during the winter, representing the resilience of the Eldar during their harshest hour. But on the other hand, in some areas it is clearly not a painted scheme, but more like an infection spreading through the Croneworld warriors, representing the touch of their cursed planet, giving them horrific powers and tastes, and slowly claiming their bodies (possibly souls).

You'll notice that the Warlord himself, Tanaka the Cannibal, staves off this kind of corporeal influence from the Enemy, by imbibing the energies of slain Craftworld psykers to increase his psychic resilience and physical longevity. This is also how he is able to keep his mind sharp in the ways of strategy, avoiding slipping into mindless bloodlust, and stopping the Koxinga Eldar from rushing headlong into battle and ultimately their demise, in a hostile system surrounded by foes. Instead the Croneworlders wage a careful asymmetrical style of warfare thanks to his generalship, utilizing the webway, warp jumps, and many jetbikes, much like Corsairs.

++

Back to the real world, I am really ecstatic to see the Eldar Corsairs finally being redone, and their rules look absolutely stupendous. We do have to wait and see what the points costs and fine print will be, but right now I am just loving the options available. Might have to start stocking up on guardian bodies and dryad bits to build a Corsair Raiding Force of "jetpack" troops converted like the warp spiders, but with corsair or dark elf heads instead of dryad ones. Not sure how I would do lasblasters -- I quite like the converted lasblasters from the Swooping Hawks where a splinter carbine barrel is spliced onto a shuriken catapult -- what do you think?

Thanks for the support guys, I am inspired to tighten up my painting on these guys, and start really setting my sights on Best Painted. So far I have never been able to win a painting award at a major event, but I have some plans afoot.

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
Well it took quite some time to read everything, and oh my god...I had already seen your army somewhere in the eldar board or something else, but this pattern and style, i never get enought of it !
Ibushi i had guessed buy your name that japan related stuff was something that intrested you... you surely are one of the most dedicated painter i have ever seen. Even if you say me: "once you have the technique it's pretty easy to do", it's like total godlike stuff for me. If i was in front of you now, i would probably be on my knees praying to you like some kind of mistical being.

I may be a huge fan of the overall army and how sick looking those cherry blossom patern looks on your tank, and i may like japan stuff a lot aswell, i think the things i'm not really fond of the most might actually be the japanese warrior you use as banshee (or scorpions i don't remember), as to me they feel completely out of place >< it's just personal feeling and even if i don't like the model all that much, the paint on the other hand is pretty cool :D
My prefered piece as to be that void generator it would make for such an excelent piece of terrain if you did not use it as a void shield.

Well for now nothing really productive as comment on my end but for sure you have a wonderfull army.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 08:11:26 AM »
Not sure how I would do lasblasters -- I quite like the converted lasblasters from the Swooping Hawks where a splinter carbine barrel is spliced onto a shuriken catapult -- what do you think?

I'm not sure what a Splinter Carbine is but if your Swooping Hawks are carrying weapons converted in this manner they look great. Much better than the conversions where two Shuriken Catapults have been used.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 05:52:08 PM »
I can only echo the earlier sentiments expressed in this thread. Sublime executions of a very neat theme. You chose a theme and stuck with it and it seems to work all throughout your force.
As everyone, I really like the cherry blossoms on your tanks. I really like how this cherry blossom idea is instead a form of corruption on the wraithknight, and it even has 'slaaneshy' claws. Neat detail on how they are slowly being corrupted by she who thirsts.

Overall great work, can't wait to see more of your painting and of course battle reports!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
Well it took quite some time to read everything, and oh my god...I had already seen your army somewhere in the eldar board or something else, but this pattern and style, i never get enought of it !
Ibushi i had guessed buy your name that japan related stuff was something that intrested you... you surely are one of the most dedicated painter i have ever seen. Even if you say me: "once you have the technique it's pretty easy to do", it's like total godlike stuff for me. If i was in front of you now, i would probably be on my knees praying to you like some kind of mistical being.

Haha thanks grizzly, I appreciate your overwhelming support for my plastic crazy-elves. You would have seen the painting scheme before in my battle report thread from earlier this year, I posted quite a few pictures from a couple of tournaments, but nothing close-up.

I will keep up the croneworld samurai theme, but am definitely not a mystical being hahaha. Also I can see why you don't like the samurai models, as they are wearing robes and running around looking all fancy in a futuristic age of grimdark warfare, so are pretty out of place. That is partly what got me started on the theme -- originally they were warlocks, which makes more sense for the robes and running around.

I can only echo the earlier sentiments expressed in this thread. Sublime executions of a very neat theme. You chose a theme and stuck with it and it seems to work all throughout your force.
As everyone, I really like the cherry blossoms on your tanks. I really like how this cherry blossom idea is instead a form of corruption on the wraithknight, and it even has 'slaaneshy' claws. Neat detail on how they are slowly being corrupted by she who thirsts.

Overall great work, can't wait to see more of your painting and of course battle reports!

Thanks Vonny, appreciate it! Sounds like people really like the tanks in particular, which works for me. Part of my strategy is having a few eye-catching tanks (and wraithknight) to hopefully draw fire, so if the painting scheme is drawing attention to them over my bikes and infantry, sure!

Definitely will be bringing more battle reports, watch this space!

I'm not sure what a Splinter Carbine is but if your Swooping Hawks are carrying weapons converted in this manner they look great. Much better than the conversions where two Shuriken Catapults have been used.

Cheers Alienscar, yeah I think I will work with something along those lines so long as there are enough splinter weapons to salvage. The splinter carbine is the standard weapon of DE scourges, so I chopped the barrels off and spliced them onto the shuriken catapults, making them longer and giving a different silhouette. Of course the other option with corsair reavers is to model them all with dual-wield pistols, and I am definitely very tempted to do that hehe.

++

OK team, so I threw down against my CWE/DE friend again this week, and we managed to get in two games pretty quick. He is running the Autarch, fire dragons, warp spiders, hornets, scatbikes+Void shield alongside WWP archon + grotesquerie. This time around I brought my gloves-off tournament list with the d-flamer wraithguard and 2x 7 warp spiders.

Game 1 he made a crucial error in assuming he could bring down the wraithguard wave serpent in one turn of shooting, which he failed to do, and that let the d-toters move up, jump out, and hose two raiders with grotesques and the warlord plus a unit of scatbikes in one round of shooting. Since the grotesques and characters were mounted in open-topped vehicles, each template that just touched the Raider dealt D6 hits to the occupants -- brutal! When the explosions settled and the dust cleared, there were about 3 grotesques (of 6) remaining, the autarch+ haemonculus. Actually he got pretty lucky as I rolled super low for the D6 hits, and then rolled a lot of low D3 wound rolls. But anyway, it was still a backbreaking hit, as now the heavy hitters were stranded on his side of the table. On his turn 2 (that all happened turn 1!), he failed a ton of reserve rolls, so instead of calling it, we let him have ALL of his reserves to see if he could bounce back. Long story short, he took out the Farseer and then got tabled next turn.

Game 2 we decided to try stacking the deck against the Croneworld Eldar a bit more, so I got a useless Warlord trait while he had conqueror of cities on a ruins-infested table, and I was given Terrify, Dominate, and Mental Fortitude plus Shriek for powers (the "worst" telepathy ones), and was forced to go first in an objectives mission.

Turn 1 the Croneworlders move up and are able to take down the CWE/DE void shield along with the dark reapers (should have deployed them out of LOS!), while the Tanaka the Cannibal moved up and was able to cast Terrify on a squad of scatbikes, who duly failed their check and ran off the board! Ouch! He also cast Mental Fortitude on a squad of jetbikes who turbo-boosted onto the maelstrom objective to tie it up for a turn and hopefully deny it if they survive.

Turn 1 CWE/DE and they take down the void shield, snipe a few jetbikes, and send a squad of grotesques charging into the 3 Fearless jetbikes in their DZ. Amazingly, only 2 jetbikes die, and the third refuses to run away, inspired by Tanaka's cannibalistic thoughts! Haha, brutal, telepathy is such a good discipline.

Turn 2 the Croneworlders unleash another brutal round of shooting and clear out a lot of the CWE/DE even through 3+ ruins saves, but the wraithguard and warp spiders keep a defensive position ready for the CWE reserves, and two void shields come back.

Turn 2 CWE/DE and all the reserves come thundering in again, this time just failing to take out Tanaka with fusion guns (passed his jink save, but his squad got melted), and failing to wipe out a scatbike squad due to good jink saves. Not so great. That void shield really puts a spanner in it. Back in assault the Autarch and grotesques easily dispatch the last jetbiker, but too little too late...

Turn 3 and the Croneworld Eldar move backwards to deal with all the outflanking, deep striking reserves. Wraithguard bail out and light up the fire dragon+archon in a raider, obliterating all but the archon. Jetbikes move backwards through ruins to shoot the hornets, but fail 2 of 2 DT tests and 2 of 2 armour saves, and just die instead! hah! Reapers kill a hornet instead, while on the far left board edge rangers move up to shoot a squad of warp spiders. They pull out their pistols and take aim...the warp spiders flickerjump a measly 4"..the unleash the shuriken, and manage to rend out 2 and cause another armour save! Ouch! The Exarch is closest and decides to take the armour save, but fails and dies! Double ouch! The Rangers then go charging in and somehow kill a warp spider, passing their own armour save, and are able to run down the elite aspect warriors in a haze of bloodlust! Wow, go rangers!

On the other side of the table the other warp spider unit deep strikes in and laces the autarch with monofilament wire - due to positioning they don't get a cover save, the grotesques fail their Feel No Pain saves horribly, and the Autarch fails his armour save as well -- Warlord eliminated! What an atrocious turn for the CWE/DE.

Turn 3 and the last hornet comes in, and the Wraithknight decides to go balls to the wall and take on the Croneworld wraithknight, but he fails to make it. The Haemonculus and second grotesque unit move up and charge the Croneworld wraith construct instead, locking him in combat for about 4 turns and eventually bringing the beast down through poison instant death attacks! This could only happen with the Grotesquerie as they get special combat drugs, and this time around he managed to get T6 which prevented him from being splatted immediately by S10.

Unfortunately for the CWE/DE, this combat is the only thing keeping him from being tabled, and the game ends on the bottom of Turn 7, when the grotesques surprisingly are able to kill the wraithknight and escape back to their creepy webway hideaway. Good riddance!

But seriously, we had a hilarious couple of games, and it was a lot of fun trying to stack the deck against one player to see if they could fight out of a corner. The big thing for this matchup (and many others) was that the DE units could not get close to the Croneworlders due to the imminent threat of the d-scythes, but at the same time they couldn't out-shoot the Croneworlders in a firefight, due to the investment in assault capacity, and since both sides have void shields protecting them, but the DE have a harder time bringing them down. Though we have had some truly epic, close-fought moments, the dirty coalition is now 0-4 against Tanaka's croneworld cronies, so the plan is for my friend to just wait out November and put together a hopefully competitive Corsair build over Christmas, and then we'll try again and see how the Felarchs perform!

From my side, November I will be heading back to Beijing for business, so not going to get any painting done unfortunately. But December is going to be a big push to get everything up to a higher standard for TSHFT in January! Really looking forward to it! Plus there is the wonderment of the Corsair book dropping soon, and seeing what kind of Corsair "Away Party" Tanaka will decide to assemble. I'm envisioning a badass biker prince, some corsair jetbikes, a few jet pack reavers, and lots of wasps. We shall see!

Thanks for all the support and feedback! If anyone has any suggestions for how to slightly modify some jetbikes to become corsair riders, give me a shout!

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 01:14:00 AM »
Uh, well,WOW! Love seeing the old metal wraith lords, I have 3 as well. Such a cohesive paint scheme. I can only reflect what the rest of the others have said.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 07:06:37 AM »
Hey bud. Great bat-rep and another great victory. But man I feel for the Dark Eldar... my little Dark Eldar army is just dying for a new codex. They just seem to become more beleagured with each passing month. The Grotesquerie, Venoms and the Razorwing are really their best units. Its such a challenge... I don't know how Skari from Skaredcast does it. He's really an expert player that has mastered the army but for anyone else its such a struggle. I don't know how Phil Kelly let GW drop the ball with that one. Shame on you Kelly!

Anyway I'm stoked to hear you are going to do a Corsair force! For making Corsair JB's, Forgeworld didn't even kitbash their Corsair Jetbikes. It was just box-standard jetbike pilots with Corsair rune transfers and it looked very slick. However if you do want to do a bit more, I put Corsair heads on the regular old Craftworld bodies sprinkled some Wych weapons into the units. However Reaver Jetbike pilots fit perfectly onto the new Jetbikes also. I'm going to sprinkle those pilots into my squads as I flesh out the squads to their full size.

Anyway enjoy your trip to Beijing and can't wait to see some more photos. Anyway great update can't wait for MOAR!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »
Uh, well,WOW! Love seeing the old metal wraith lords, I have 3 as well. Such a cohesive paint scheme. I can only reflect what the rest of the others have said.

Thanks Dread! Yeah I like the old Wraithlords too, although I swapped out their heads for Vyper gunners to make them look like chunky oldschool war walkers...pictures to come with 2016 Croneworld Corsairs!

Hey bud. Great bat-rep and another great victory. But man I feel for the Dark Eldar... my little Dark Eldar army is just dying for a new codex. They just seem to become more beleagured with each passing month. The Grotesquerie, Venoms and the Razorwing are really their best units. Its such a challenge... I don't know how Skari from Skaredcast does it. He's really an expert player that has mastered the army but for anyone else its such a struggle. I don't know how Phil Kelly let GW drop the ball with that one. Shame on you Kelly!

Yeah it's really true, DE were the front end of that strange codex-simplification train that went through briefly, and then Necrons hit and everything exploded. As we have played more games, it has just made us more and more sad how much the DE codex struggles. Don't get me wrong, my friend went 4-1 at our last GT and consistently is top ranked, but if we went 100% CWE he would be right up there on the top tables, that's the thing. Skari does a great job, it has to be said, but I'm not itching to emulate right now.

Anyway I'm stoked to hear you are going to do a Corsair force! For making Corsair JB's, Forgeworld didn't even kitbash their Corsair Jetbikes. It was just box-standard jetbike pilots with Corsair rune transfers and it looked very slick. However if you do want to do a bit more, I put Corsair heads on the regular old Craftworld bodies sprinkled some Wych weapons into the units. However Reaver Jetbike pilots fit perfectly onto the new Jetbikes also. I'm going to sprinkle those pilots into my squads as I flesh out the squads to their full size.

Yeah man, it's going to be rad! We have a local campaign from around January to April, the games are only 200-1350 pts, so I figure it is a prime time to put together a Corsair away party for doing recon off-world, and pursuing vendetta's against Tanaka's enemies of course. I'm thinking jetbike and walker heavy right now, maybe a Falon, but waiting really hard for the rules to drop. Not sure if I will scale up to 1850, might leave that to the original corsairs on here.

In terms of models, I have 5 oldschool jetbikes here waiting to be smashed up, so I'll start with those, and I may creep ebay to pick up some more oldschool bikes for cheap. Right now I still don't have any of the new ones, so I might try and make it into a theme. The other thing I'm doing is trying to collect the classic chaingun scatter lasers for the bikes and other heavy weapons, but I might need to make some casts for that as they are really hard to find. Imagine 15 jetbikes, 6 wasp walkers, a Falcon, and 5-10 balestrikes all with Eldar chainguns!

The way you do CWE bodies with the odd DE legs or arm is really tight, but I'll leave the clean conversions up to you -- I like to make things messy and/or covered in robes, and the corsairs will be no different! They will definitely still be rocking the MC Hammer pants, and I think I'll use a black/white/gold pattern of diamonds and triangles. For the japanese banners the obvious choice is to choose a slightly different colour from blue, maybe space wolves grey blue from ages past? But then again I might just stick with blue for consistency, and add a different character. Appreciate your stylistic feedback!

Anyway enjoy your trip to Beijing and can't wait to see some more photos. Anyway great update can't wait for MOAR!

Thanks man! Really looking forward to it, and it means I'll have a full 30 days away from 40k, so my brush hand and modelling knife will be itching to go by the time I get back!

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE! (old digital camera, not great quality, but since I'm going away in 36 hours I thought I'd do my best..)

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #12 on: November 3, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »
Those counts-as Spiders are definitley rocking. Stuff like that is exactly what I'd expect to see on a Eldar croneworld. Excellent stuff my friend. Anyway enjoy beijing and can't wait to see more bat-reps. Happy trails!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 12:09:17 AM »
Thanks man! I'm collecting more dryad and daemon bits to kitbash another load of these guys, it's going to be nastay.

OK so coming back from Beijing I set up a game with long-time underdog and local opponent playing Sisters, with his updated list:

Cannoness with the biznass
Inquisitor with psyocculum & nastiness
3 henchmen with shields, 3 with plasma
Valkyrie with missile pods

2x5 sisters with flamers in Immolators
2x5 Dominions with 4 meltas in Repressors with flamers

3 Exorcists
Knight with cannon, stubbers, AA autocannon, and chainsword

Maybe some more stuff I have forgotten about.

Mission is ITC 1, Dawn of War with Emperor's Will and 2 Maelstrom objectives.

Eldar win roll for First Turn/deployment and take it. 1 Maelstrom objective is in the centre of the board, one further to the right flank, and the Emperor's Will objectives are on the right side of the board across from each other.

The Eldar teleport their bunker with void shields onto the right flank as close to the two maelstrom objectives and Emperor's Will objective as possible. Bikes and Farseers hide behind the bunker behind some ruins and out of LOS as much as possible, while the Wraithknight prances on the bunker ramparts. Shining spears deploy mostly out of LOS in the farmost left corner, with the Scorpions infiltrated centre-left board in a ruin for a 2+ cover. Harlequins hunker down inside the bunker, and put their escape hatch up at centre table.

Sisters counter-deploy as best they can, but outflanking the dominions (they have scout!), putting the two immolators at centre behind barricades for cover saves, then to the left the Imperial Knight, shielding all three Exorcists behind a huge destroyed manufactorium. The Cannoness + Inquisitor + Henchmen are awaiting in reserves in their bird.

In this one the bloodthirsty Eldar warlord has a vision of the battle ending in clouds of gore, so decides to start the day swinging his katana with both hands, before the sun is able to rise on this forsaken moon. In fact, Night Fighting is in effect.

Eldar Warlord Trait & Powers - Night Attacker; Invisibility x2, Shriek x2, Dominate x2, Terrify, Hallucination.
Imperial Warlord Trait - Strategic Genius

Turn 1
Eldar rush forward to slick their blades with Imperial blood. The Spears turbo-boost to within 1" of the three Exorcists, out of LOS of the Knight. Swooping Hawks leap forwards into centre-table, jetbikes shuffle around, Wraithknight bounds forward to centre-table, scorpions shuffle next to him. For Mysterious Objectives the Eldar roll a Targeting Array, ouch, and then Skyfire Nexus in centre-table -- double ouch!

Psychic powers make the Farseer's unit invisible, and the Scorpions just in case the Knight decides to charge them. After rolling the Psychic dice I realize the Harlequins forgot to disembark from the escape hatch, ugh, rookie mistake -- that's what a month in the Chinese capital will do!

Shooting is able to blow up an immolator and pin the unit inside, while the Wraithcannons fail to penetrate the Knight's shields. A jetbike squad also turbo-boosts into the Imperial DZ to score maelstrom.

Sisters do what they can, the Knight deciding to be patient and stepping sideways slightly to blast the marauding jetbikers to deny maelstrom points. Shooting kills 2 but the last biker holds. One immolator moves forwards and pops smoke, hoping to regain some board control later. The exorcists pour all of their fire into the 2+ jinking Shining Spears, managing to slay 2, but they hold.

Turn 2

Eldar turn up the heat -- the Harlequins disembark finally, and cast Invisibility, but then fail to cast Fog of Dreams on the Imperial Knight (it was denied), which is bad news. the Wraithknight decides to go whole hog and charge the IK, without invisibility, to see if he is up to the challenge, and moves up. The swooping hawks drop down on the edge of the Imperial DZ, in the face of the Knight, and right in front of the Harlequins. Shining spears set up their charge into the rear of an Exorcist, killing it! Shooting blows up the remaining immolator, and the disembarking sisters are assaulted and annihilated by the Scorpion Exarch alone (woo +3 attacks in a challenge!). Over in the far right corner, Rangers sneak into the Imperial DZ for maelstrom points, while the Wraithknight fails his charge.

Sisters muster their strength and strike back! Both Dominion squads move on from Outflank, on opposite flanks. One squad decides to move up and torch the Rangers, which all die. The other moves into a forest on the lonely left flank, hugging cover. The Valkyrie also moves on via the right side, blasting its missile pods at the invisible harlequins, causing minimal casualties. Meanwhile the Knight moves up and splits its fire between the Harlequins and Wraithknight. Cannon blasts do not scatter, and eviscerate the Harlequins, killing many, many of them in one fell blow. Three hawks are also killed, while the Wraithknight is then charged, aaand 6'd out! The Knight is left with 3 HP left, and manages to neuter the Harlequins and eliminate the Wraithknight in one fell swoop! Ouch!

Fortunately the Eldar are still way ahead on Maelstrom.

Turn 3

Eldar reel from the loss, but knuckle down to tear out the throat of the mon-keigh before them -- the swooping hawks pass their morale check and are able to get 2 HP of damage on the Valkyrie with their haywire attacks, while the laser bikes move onto a skyfire nexus and strip the last hull point off the Warlord's bird. It comes crashing down, killing several of the occupants, and the remainder are brutally gunned down by the Eldar warlord's laser bike entourage on a targeting array...zero survivors. The hawks then throw a grenade at the dominion's repressor, and miss. On the left the shining spears shoot and assault an Exorcist and fail to do any damage...ouch, rolled so many 1's in a row! In the middle the Harlequins bait the Knight but do not actually charge, instead casting Invisibility and Veil, then attempting to cast Fog of Dreams on the knight and succeeding, preventing him from firing his cannon next turn. Nice!

Sisters try to claw their way back into the fight, with the Exorcists brutally gunning down the Shining Spears finally! The surviving bodyguard died to a snapfiring stormbolter, so the Exarch got doubled-out by an Exorcist missile. Gah. Back in the middle the Knight realized that charging the scorpions is a free kill, so runs in to carry out mayhem, but only manages to kill 1 due to Fog of Dreams and good armour saves. On the left the Dominions continue cautiously moving up, while those on the right also move up and torch the Swooping Hawks, killing them all.

As the sun rises higher in the sky, the forces of the Eldar start to dwindle.

Turn 4

After a friendly reminder from the Imperial player, the Scorpions utilize "Our Weapons are Useless!" and fall back, unable to regroup as the Knight is so close, but not yet off the board.

Taking advantage of the Knight's preoccupation with the aspect warriors, the Harlequins move onto the enemy Emperor's Will objective, casting Veil of Tears to ensure there will be no reprisal. Laserbikes are not very useful, as the Repressors and Exorcists are all front amour 13, along with the knight, so one squad and the warlord farseer turbo-boost into the Imperial DZ to create more angles. Meanwhile the Warp Spiders. that had been nonchalantly lurking in midfield, jump out and are able to put 3 rending shots into the rear armour of the Knight, bringing it down in a blaze of glory! The explosion kills several Spiders, bringing them down to 1+Exarch, but surely that will be enough to seal victory for Tanaka's cruel forces.

Sisters try to get back into the fight after this huge loss, with both Dominions going straight for the Eldar home objective, while the Exorcist tries to get some shots off and makes the Warlord's entourage jink.

Turn 5

Scorpions are finally able to rally, and start moving up behind one Repressor. On the right the laserbikes are able to get side armour and burst open the other Repressor, while suddenly the Spiders bound forth and destroy the remaining one. A Farseer charges the disembarking Sisters, not taking any hits from Overwatch, and cuts them down in combat.

The game ends Turn 5, Eldar have both Emperor's Will objectives, Maelstrom Secondary, Big Game Hunter (Knight), Warlord, and Linebreaker Tertiaries, but only the two Farseers, 5 jetbikes, 4 scorpions, 2 warp spiders, and 3 harlequins survived.  11-1 to Eldar.

MVP: Warp Spiders! Holy crap, taking out a Knight and securing the home objective for the win!
Wooden Spoon: Actually I dont think there was a wooden spoon in this game, everyone pulled their weight in some way or other, nice!

The Sisters player was experimenting with a fully mechanized approach to try and deny the potency of psychic powers and with maximized AV13 to deny the effectiveness of scatter lasers, which for the most part was very effective! Unfortunately he went too far in the counter-deployment, removing himself from being able to control the table around the objectives. By throwing units away and keeping him distracted, the Eldar were able to fully control all of the Maelstrom and Primary objectives throughout the entire game, even if at a heavy loss.

From the Eldar side, this was a pretty tough matchup on paper, but the board layout, winning First Turn, and the deployment choices made the gameplan very simple and effective -- go straight at 'em! Rolling double invisibility helped, although not using any other powers the whole game was a bit sad haha. Just goes to show that the power of this list isn't in having all the psychic shenanigans, it just helps.

Also even though the Shining Spears flopped a little bit, the fact that they drew THREE full turns of three exorcists shooting them is utterly absurd. What a great unit.

++

Next up a similar grudge match after a month away -- a rematch with Father of the Void, that indomitable Necron player who just keeps swinging for Tanaka and coming up just short.

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »
Great bat-rep Ibushi. Glad to have you back man. Sisters are surprisingly nasty... the Exorcists are absolute beasts! As are their scout tanks. Great win my man.

The Warp Spiders continue to impress. I'm so glad I jumped on the bandwagon after reading your bat-reps as mine have really rewarded me as well.

Can't wait to see how you do against the Necrons... what kind of list does he play? Also what is your preferred way of taking out Wraiths? Your CC oriented Eldar should do very well against them can't wait for the bat-rep!

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
Welcome back!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »
Surprisingly this time good old Father of the Void came with a list somewhat similar to the above, but Black Templars style, putting his Necrons aside entirely:

Command Land Raider - grav cannon, lascannons, command array
Command Rhino - plasma gun, orbital strike, command array

5 scouts with sniper rifles
5 Templars with cc weapons
Land Raider Crusader
Thunderfire Cannon, ugh gross

3 Grav Centurions
Land Raider

3x Vindicator formation with the giant ignores-cover blast, ugh

Void Shield Generator, as usual!

OK so a massive load of AV14 this time, great. Behind a void shield, oh wonderful. I think the assault aspect list is going to struggle.

Fortunately for this engagement Tanaka the Cannibal has enlisted the help of his equally crazy Away Party:

Corsair Prince - Shadowfield, ML2 (Malefic), WARLORD
Void Dreamer - ML3, jetpack
Corsair Jetbikes - lasers
Baron - ML1 Malefic

The rest of the Eldar were:
Farseer - jetbike
8 Scorpions
3 laserbikes
5 rangers
7 Warp Spiders
4 Shining Spears
Wraithknight
Bunker

Warlord Traits -- Templars roll -1 enemy reserves, a great warlord trait. Eldar roll Strategic Genius but foolishly re-roll to get 3 enemy units take pinning test... against all-mechanized army :(

Psychic Powers:
Farseer - Shriek, Shrouding, Invisibility, Hallucination -- JACKPOT
Dreamer - Path Ward, some 12" large blast, a 4+ cover save power, and WARP TUNNEL, HOLY CRAP > basically, you can effectively deepstrike his unit anywhere on the table without scattering, taking some damage in return, but then what is truly nuts is you can CARRY ON AS NORMAL, like nothing happened. Double jackpot!

Prince - Prescience & Summoning (not for casting, but it is required)
Baron - Summoning & Possession -- bahaha yes please!

Strategy:
OK so this is the worst possible matchup in many ways: a wall of AV14, even with obsec, behind a VOID SHIELD, against my mass of infantry, lots of S6, and primarily assault units..Great. To top it all off he has a thunderfire cannon to reinforce terrain and give his tanks a great cover save, and to pile cover-ignoring blasts on my guys. Bad news.

We roll up ITC mission 2, Vanguard Strike with 3 Maelstrom objectives (1 in each DZ, 1 is centre table), and then Purge the Alien.

Templars win first turn and put their tanks down in the centre of their DZ under the Void Shield. Interestingly he decides to keep the Vindicator formation in reserves.

Eldar counter-deploy by putting the bunker as far away as possible on the far right, with the Farseer out of LOS behind it. The Wraithknight lurks out of range of all the Grav weapons in the righthand table corner, while the rangers and scorpions infiltrate on the left and centre. The Templars scouts also infiltrate on the far, far left close to the Eldar DZ. Everything else is in Outflank or Deep Strike reserve.

Turn 1

Eldar Seize the Initiative! The Lucky Gits!

The Harlequins pile out of the Bunker (not Escape Hatch), and are joined by the Farseer -- the Void Dreamer dials up Warp Tunnel and gets it on 5 dice with no Perils, PHEW! Corsair Perils are brutal. Meanwhile the Farseer powers up Invisibility as well as Shrouding, while the Void Dreamer also gets his 4+ cover save power off. Nasty!

The Harlequins immediately redeploy in a no-scatter Deep Strike fashion behind the Centurion Land Raider, Command Rhino, and VSG, unleash some Shrieker cannon shots into the Rhino, and charge and destroy both the Rhino and Raider in one fell swoop -- BRUTAL!!

In the backfield the Wraithknight has no desire to waste shots on the void shields, so kills a few scouts and shuffles around, along with the Scorpions and Rangers, who hop on the central and Eldar DZ maelstrom objectives in cover.

Now the Templars have a raging Harliestar with a medley of Eldar and Corsair characters attached deep in the bowels of their army, bahaha.

Templars about-face and unleash all of the firepower into the Harliestar -- fortunately for my opponent we are playing ITC rules, so Invisible units are hit on BS1 rather than only Snap Firing, so all the blasts from the Thunderfire Cannon really go to work and gut a large number of harlequins, including the Shadowseer unfortunately. But the Harlequins are certainly not going anywhere!

Turn 2

The game is far from won, as the Templars still have a Vindicator formation ready to roll in from reserves, as well as the Command Land Raider, grav Centurions, Land Raider Crusader with templars inside, and the Thunderfire Cannon, plus some scouts.

Eldar roll for reserves, hoping for the Shining Spears and Corsair Cloud Dancers to come in from Outflank, and the Warp Spiders to Deep Strike in -- but every single Reserve roll fails miserably, leaving everything up to the Harliestar again.

Wraithknight moves up to mid-field and blasts the scouts again, eliminating them, not wanting to shoot the void shield still. The Harliestar forms up and charges the Centurions, not having to worry about overwatch fortunately, but mostly they bounce off, as almost all of the Caress-carrying harlies were slain. That's fine, now they can't be shot, bahaha!

Templars turn 2 and guns retrain on the Wraithknight, stripping two wounds. The Vindicators also fail to come on, which might be a good thing in this instance. Templars also disembark from the Crusader and charge the Harliestar, doing some wounds -- also I forgot that Corsairs have defensive grenades, so they should have had less attacks. Oh well. At the end of combat the Harliestar hit & runs out again.

Turn 3

Finally the reserves arrive, with the Corsair Cloud Dancers and attached Baron along with the Shining Spears both coming in on the left in the Templar DZ. They target the Thunderfire Cannon, but are just outside the Void Shield so put their shots into it, and bring all 3 down. The Wraithknight then moves up and puts some D-shots into the Command Land Raider, causing 3 HP of damage. The Harliestar again charges into the Templars and Centurions, grinding them down some more, but not wiping them out, fortunately.

Templars strike back by taking another 2 wounds off the Wraithknight, bringing him to his last 2. Vindicators roll on board right, but turn around and put a giant, cover-ignoring combi-blast into the Spears + Corsair bikes, managing to kill all of the Spears and 2 corsair bikes after a good scatter. Ouch! the Land Raider Crusader takes out the remaining Corsair bike, leaving just the Baron, while it also empties its magazines into the Scorpions, whittling them down combined with Thunderfire cannon shooting. But since the Scorpions have not shot or charged anything yet, they still have Shrouding + Stealth + Cover for a 2+, heh. In combat, the templars are cut down, but one grav Centurion survives the onslaught of the Harlequins, who then hit & run away towards the horrible thunderfire cannon.

Turn 4

Finally the Warp Spiders and Laser bikes arrive, the Spiders gunning for the Thunderfire cannon, but they mishap and are placed far back in the Eldar DZ. Fortunately they are usually lightning fast at getting across the board! The Laser bikes line up shots on the lone Centurion, although there is a single Void shield remaining to contend with.

The Harliestar decides to finish off the Thunderfire cannon in protracted style, first killing the cannon itself with shooting, then charging in and tying up the Techmarine by not using any special weapons that round. On the other side, the Wraithknight splits fire between the newly arrived Vindicators and the Command Land Raider, which only has 1HP remaining. Both Destroyer shots hit, needing a single 2+ to destroy the Raider, and both come up 1's -- gah! The plan to blow up the Land Raider then charge the Vindicators is thwarted! Instead the Wraithknight just charges the Raider and easily destroys it, taking out an important, special rule-slinging and grav gun-toting unit out of the fight, as well as claiming Warlord. Unfortunately Psychic Shriek on the lone Centurion was Denied, so next turn the Knight will have to weather some Grav fire...

Templars warm up their grav guns and vindictor cannons, pouring firepower into the Wraithknight, who passes a goodly amount of cover and Feel No Pain saves, but finally is brought down by the Vindicator formation's onslaught of high-strength pie-plates. On the other side, the Techmarine is slowly dismembered by the Harlequin Troupe Leader, freeing the star up to engage their next target on the Eldar turn. Back in the middle the Land Raider Crusader again pours firepower into the Baron and Scorpions, slaying the Baron and leaving just 2 Scorpions remaining on the central objective. The Baron had tried to cast Possession twice on 5 dice and failed both times by 1 warp charge, so his death was inevitable in a certain way...

Turn 5

The Harlequins+Corsairs+Farseer are very few in number at this point, with 1 harlequin, 1 harlequin with caress, the Troupe Leader with 1 wound, the Void Dreamer with 1 wound, the Corsair Prince with 1 wound, and the Farseer on a jetbike with 2 wounds remaining. They move up between the lone Centurion and Land Raider Crusader, looking to take out both if possible. Invisibility goes up successfully as in ever other turn, then Psychic Shriek finally goes off and is not Denied -- a 6, 4, 4 is rolled, and the Centurion's mind is horribly sautéed by Tanaka's fevered screams into his consciousness. The Star is then free to charge the LRC, dealing a sad 1 HP of damage, and now forced to tank another turn of shooting. Meanwhile the Scorpions and Rangers continue to hunker down, the Warp Spiders continue their trek across the battlefield, and the Laser bikes decide to turbo-boost up into the Templar DZ left corner to get side armour on the Vindicators next turn if possible.

Templars put all of their remaining firepower into the Harliestar, and are able to kill a harlequin, wound the Farseer, and kill the Corsair Prince for Warlord! A brutal turn of shooting!

The game continues!

Turn 6

In a coups de gras, the surviving Harliestar charge into the Land Raider Crusader and manage to get 4 glancing hits between two Caresses, a Witchblade and a Witchstaff -- the last Land Raider dies! On the right side the Warp Spiders are able to get unobstructed side armour on a Vindicator, glancing it 2 times.

Templars are not giving up, and the Vindicators turn around to blast the laser bikes as much as possible, but not very successfully, while shielding their damaged vehicle as best as possible.

The game still does not end!

Turn 7

Warp Spiders jump up and glance out one Vindicator, while the Harliestar decides to go balls-out and casts Warp Tunnel one more time, landing behind the Vindicators, glancing one, assaulting and destroying the last members of the squadron in Caress + Witchblade glory!

Mwuahahaha!!!

MVP: the Troupe Leader for laying SO MUCH smackdown on the Templars with his Harlequin-rending Katana, he seriously racked up so many kills and hull points of damage. Close runners-up are the Void Dreamer for Warp Tunnel and a consistent 4+ cover save, combined with the Farseer for Invisibility and Shrouding, who also managed to take out a good number of hull points with their witchblades.

Wooden Spoon: Sorry but the Corsair jetbikes really went wet-noodle this game, Outflanking a turn late and just doing..nothing. Then failling to cast Possession twice in a row, once on 6 dice and once on 5. Sadface. But if you could outflank them and manage to get a successful Possession deep in the enemy DZ that would be super nasty.

Lessons Learned:

The Void Dreamer is really nasty, he has some GREAT powers for an Eldar army that has key units to be transported around the table. If you get Warp Tunnel, perfect, otherwise Warp Blink is pretty good too. Not such a big fan of the other ones though.

One problem is you HAVE to take a Corsair Prince in order to use Corsairs, and I'm still not 100% sold on how to use him. Right now as a combat character I would prefer an Autarch to be honest, but maybe the Prince is good just basic, with a Shadowfield to tank wounds and a relic like Armour of Misery, keep it cheap as possible. But then he HAS to be Warlord, so that is not ideal. Thinking on this one...

I think without the Void Dreamer and Warp Tunnel, this would have been an incredibly different game, that's for sure....

Next up I'm working on some war walkers for a Wasp Phalanx (assuming we count them as Jump models to be able to deploy by Deep Strike, otherwise their rules are pointless!), and also looking into picking up a Warp Hunter to try out with deep strike and kinetic fields for a nasty Turn 2 surprise! We'll see, still not sure what other surprises the Corsair list might be able to bring, and the Pale Courts Warhost is truly a thing to behold, I never expected it would have so much potential -- will be reassessing the Assault Aspect build in light of this, and we'll see where it takes us!

Looking forward to also finding some games to play against the new Tau, and maybe some Adeptus Mechanicus and the Decurion sooner or later -- all of those armies sound like super tough nuts to crack!

Cheers

++
Edit:
Thanks guys! Good to be back! Working on some more projects, look forward to unveiling when they're ready :)

Also to answer your question about Wraiths, Cav, my strategy is pretty simple:
- against opponents who just rush right at you, hit them with D-scythes and call it a day. Any survivors you can easily clean up with WK.

- or you can force his hand by casting invis. on the D-guard wave serpent and shove it right in his teeth -- he either has to pull back, or charge and hope for 6's, then next turn you pop out and *whooosh!

- the next most reliable thing is Warp Spiders, however you like. I've had good luck deep striking and raking them, and also infiltrating and doing the warp spider rubber-banding maneuvre on them, as you can keep right at the edge of their range, so even if they go after your spiders, they would be too isolated. Besides, they might not kill the spiders in one round, and you just hit & run. Ugh, spiders.

- alternatively, just hammer them with laser bikes until they are soft enough for the WK to engage, and hopefully your WK has invisibility and an invulnerable save, as they will tear through a standard WK with enough numbers.

- my final strategy is to use psychic shriek on them as much as possible, as usually they don't have Reanimation Protocols whereas other Necrons would still get that save against Shriek. Yes you have to get through a 3+, but they are also usually closer to you than other Necron infantry, and you ALWAYS have to get through that 3+ gah.

Round here it is pretty normal to see 10 Wraiths, I find this manageable. 15 Wraiths is really tough, even without RP. But if just one unit gets out of position, it releases a LOT of pressure, so the Necron player has to know his stuff.
++
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:04:37 PM by Ibushi »

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 07:47:57 AM »
Great bat-rep Ibushi. Man I'm super jealous of all the great fun games you've been having. Its getting tougher and tougher to get any 40k action in my neck of the woods. That Templar list sounded really awesome. Really cool variety of units with classic choices like the Land Raiders.

I really liked your list. Super eclectic but I can still see the cohesion.

As for the Corsair Prince what about the giving the Void Sabre (if what I've read about it is correct, basically a better Fire Sabre), Shadow Field. The only choice left would be what unit to stick him with. Personally I plan on going Void Sabre, Shadow Field, Webway Portal and pairing him with an Autarch so I can maintain reserve manipulation. If I can I'm gonna squeeze in allied DE with a WWP Archon and basically experiment with unit choices. I've had great success with him Wraithblades, and Wraithguard. I can't imagine how durable the unit would be with 2x Shadowfields at majority T6.

Anyway Ibushi great bat-rep man keep on reaping them skulls!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 01:12:58 PM »
Cheers man, I will definitely continue to do that!

My one question to you is with all your cut foam terrain, do you always use a foam-cutter, or can you just use a regular knife to chop it up? I'm planning to mess around with some terrain also, but don't have a foam cutter around.

Agreed it is eclectic, but everyone does their job and it comes together! Really enjoy the assault aspect list, will keep refining it for sure.

Haha that concept of wraithblades or wraithguard plus no less than all 3 Eldar warrior leaders would be insane, so much stacked in one place haha -- look forward to seeing how that turns out!

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the Corsair book has Scout, and therefore Outflank, so I'm super tempted to split up the Prince from the Harliestar and have him come in via Outflank with a unit of Corsair Jetbikes as a 3rd harassing element on top of the Spears, or just to join the Spears possibly.

If you take a Sky Burners Coterie, the units can re-roll reserves which is nasty, plus on the Deep Strike they only scatter D6" which is great, so there is that option for him too -- but then he HAS to be Warlord, and is a bit exposed. Drop the Coterie and take an Allied Detachment, no reserves benefits, but then he's not Warlord either.

You have the rules in hand yet Cav?

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »
Hey Ibushi yeah I used the foam-cutter to make the basic shape of the terrain. I then take a little screwdriver and chip away and drag the flat end down the piece of foam to texture it. Its super easy and is a lot of fun.

Yeah that Wraithblade/Wraithguard idea is ridiculously crazy. I probably wont have the points to do it in a regular game but I would in some of the higher points game. I'm sure it'd drive my opponents nuts.

Also yep I have the rules in hand! :)

Yes I like the idea joining the Prince to a unit other than the Harlies (although I think the Harlie combo definitely works and may try it myself). I think the Jetbike idea is certainly a good one... start him on the board with the bikes, split him off to join the Spears when they come on. Its a shame they don't have close-combat options for the Jetbikes (been thinking about all those Venom Blades). Although another option would be to have him join a unit of Harlie bikes if you could somehow finagle it. Mirage Launchers, Prince with Shadowfield on a bike... Farseer on a bike with fortune could be ridiculous. Or hell join him to a Seer Council!

The whole thing with the Prince being the Warlord can be a bit of a conundrum. Honestly I'd just go with whatever gives you the best options and to hell with worrying about giving up Warlord. I play with my Autarch as Warlord every single game just for the sake of fun and have never regretted it. The rest of my army is usually causing so much mayhem my opponents more worried about stopping the carnage than going for Warlord. However you play a much more competitve crowd with crazier lists... but still if Corsairs as primary gives your army an overall advantage, I'd take it over any concerns about giving up Warlord.

Man I cannot WAIT to start playing my army as Corsairs its gonna be absolute blast.