News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Online Tale of 10 Gamers (2) [picture heavy]  (Read 54835 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: 40k Online Tale of 11 Gamers (2) [picture heavy]
« Reply #20 on: October 2, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »
I clearly stated that this is a paint tale for me, as 90% of my figures were built back in 4th ed... I will be doing some conversions etc.. but nothing else beside paint....

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #21 on: October 2, 2008, 10:10:58 AM »
its making me feel guilty and slow! i managed to build ten 'crons... and a necron lord (though not the one that came with the phalanx)... but its taking time - mainly the bases - and im slightly bending or tweaking each model into slightly different stances... lets see how long that will last!

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #22 on: October 2, 2008, 10:12:48 AM »
I'm just getting started now. From scratch. Thank the lord I picked Marines and not Orks.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline CODE BLACK

• Infinity Circuit
  • Armies: Space Marines, Space Wolves
« Reply #23 on: October 2, 2008, 11:59:24 AM »
I'm just getting started now. From scratch. Thank the lord I picked Marines and not Orks.

Amen!

But really it could go both ways for me, using the AOBR boxset as a starting point. I'll do orks for the next tale. :D

Would anybody say it was unreasonable to say the AOBR Captain's sword is a relic blade?
« Last Edit: October 2, 2008, 12:38:12 PM by Code: BLACK »

Offline Alexander's Son

• Mentor - Newbies feel free to ask for any help.
    • Alexander Son's web page
« Reply #24 on: October 2, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »
 I should really post pics...

I have 2 GH squads ready and on their way to the painting process!
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #25 on: October 2, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
jesus guys... its only the second!? how are you lot built and part painted already!?  :o

Heh heh, I've managed to build all of the Skaven in my 1,000 point list already. Although I have been going straight to GW after I knock off at noon and building until the store closes at six. I took a couple of pictures on my phone yesterday, but I forgot to bring my cable to work so I could upload them. They'll be going up some time later today.

I actually played my first game with the list last night. Myself and the Nurgle Daemons player who will be my ally in the campaign against  Vampire Counts and Dark Elves. It was interesting to note that the VC player had a 'list' that was basically two units of Skeletons and three vampires.

The game was a standard pitched battle, and it ended up as a draw. I made a amphetamine parrot-ton of mistakes, not having played Fantasy for a while, but I think I've learned from them.

For one; I misunderstood the rules for Frenzy and thought my Plague Monks were forced to move toward the nearest visible enemy. Reading the rules after the game, I discovered that the rule required me to declare a charge if there was a unit in range, nothing more. So I pulled half of my battle line out of position for no reason, since I had my Rat Ogres babysitting them.

I think we might have won, had the Dark Elf player not borrowed the store's Hydra to try it out. I wasn't expecting a terror causing unit on the field, and hadn't made any plans to deal with it. His deployment and my Frenzy misunderstanding mean that my Plague Monks ended up hurtling toward the Hydra, the strongest unit in the enemy battle line.

The Rat Ogres that were meant to support them failed their fear test to charge it, which might have saved the Monks. The Hydra killed the Monks and took their standard, while the Rat Ogres were charged by a unit of spearmen, beaten on combat resolution and cut down.

Still, there were some real highlights to this game. My Warlock Engineer proved himself several times over when he annihilated one of the VC player's Skeleton blocks in a single magic phase with three successful Warp Lightnings. He also reduced the Vampire leading the unit to half wounds.

The Clanrats also performed quite well. Both sustaining surprisingly few casualties and eventually winning the game for us by claiming two table quarters. One spent most of it's time fleeing from the Hydra, but rallied right before they ran off the table, allowing them to take the quarter they ended up in, their ratling gun fled straight off the board without ever firing a shot.

The second unit hung around in the courtyard of a building for most of the game, keeping the quarter under our control while the daemons marauded off. They were eventually charged by a flying Dark Elf Assassin who had been revealed against the ill-fated Rat Ogres. He flubbed his rolls to wound, the Clanrats won on combat resolution and ran him down.

The Jezzails turned in a decidedly average performance trying to bring down the War Hydra, largely hampered by the monster's ability to regenerate. They were eventually killed by the flying Assassin before his demise. I want to see them in action a little more before I pass judgement on them.

I've made some changes to the list after this first game, largest of which is dropping the Plague Priest in favour of a Chieftain. Having my general charging away from the ranks he was meant to be bolstering and getting slaughtered was not ideal, and the Chief is significantly cheaper. I've also reduced the size of the Plauge Monk unit and taken away their additional hand weapons. Those got me a second ratling gun for the other Clanrat unit and a minimum-size block of 20 Slaves.

Phew, that post ran away on me a little...

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #26 on: October 2, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »
hey guys, im ive got the harlequin 1st 6 man squad primed im going with a black, red and purple. Im going to start working on them tonight. i hope to get some pictures soon
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #27 on: October 3, 2008, 05:10:13 AM »
so, in a building frenzy - all of my models for this month are built. however, it has cost me dear in terms of my fiance getting annoyed at me...

in any case - i started painting ten crons in the scheme - but im not sure if i like them now.

i will have pics and a full run down post this weekend - maybe next weekend. (going for a mid month and end month evaluation?!).

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #28 on: October 3, 2008, 05:44:56 AM »
Half of my opening set are assembled, all I need now is a second Tac squad and I'm good. Once I've got that I'll post my pictures

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: October 3, 2008, 07:45:16 AM »
Clan Sciad stands (mostly) assembled after being bought last Thursday. Some changes have been made to the list in my first post, which mean I need to pick up a second ratling gun and another box of Clanrats. The new Chieftain I got today, hopefully an afternoon working on the paintball field tomorrow will cover the other two.

Clanrat unit with ratling gun, as well as the Chieftain and Warlock Engineer.
Second Clanrat unit and Plague Monks.
Rat Ogres and Jezzails.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2008, 07:46:38 AM by Khemri. »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #30 on: October 3, 2008, 09:13:35 AM »
@Khemri.  Those are great,,, and man I can't believe how fast you got them together.... Well done.

@IGbunker... I will take pics of the Harlies for you today, so we can get on with the trade in time for you to get them painted and all. And I can't wait to see your scheme.

CaHG....
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #31 on: October 3, 2008, 05:29:13 PM »
Wow lots of progress and enthusiasm! Brilliant!

I've updated my post again, this time with the unit having bases and bows 'done'. :)
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
« Reply #32 on: October 3, 2008, 05:34:37 PM »
An update:

I've painted the skin on 10 of the 33 rank-and-file gobbos, now.  Took about an hour and a half.  No pictures, but I'll get them up once all 33 have green skin.

Time spent: 1:30
Movies: Last 30 minutes of Fellowship of the Ring, an hour of Two Towers.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

« Reply #33 on: October 3, 2008, 10:09:56 PM »
sounds good moc, not to much progress so far. ive changed my 1st squad to blue from purple. i couldnt mix a purple i liked, most were a weird colour or to dark to really use effectifly.

Im going to try and finsih the blue highlighting and triangles tonight and get pictures before or after my hockey game tomorrow.

glad to see all your progress so far guys, good work all!
Cheers

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)

Offline Alexander's Son

« Reply #34 on: October 4, 2008, 06:24:19 PM »
 2 teams of Grey Hunters are ready and I got started painting them... pics to come!

*Cross fingers*

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #35 on: October 5, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »

UPDATE 1

Month 1
Week 1

heres the phalanx box...

this was the first unit, built and started out with a purple block colour:

however, following this i realised two things;
1. that in order to get at the black i should have drybrushed the models with grey before doing the armour colour.
2. that i dont particularly like the purple scheme... its not finished at that, but its not how i pictured it... so its going to change... i have an idea, and so its going onto the lord which is ready to paint...

that update will follow... hopefully this wont put me too far behind!

Im also noticing that the bases are taking me longer than i thought... they arent pictured well here, but Ill try to get a better shot of them next time to give an idea of what I am trying to achieve.

« Last Edit: October 6, 2008, 08:10:21 AM by o:nk »

• Ancient
« Reply #36 on: October 5, 2008, 05:14:15 PM »
Well, I am supremely frustrated about this, but everyone and his beslubbering dog appears to be doing a Salamanders army these days, so I'm throwing the Salamanders into the bin. (Not the models, obviously). I am currently designing my own chapter (and I'm very annoyed about it because I've been intending to play Salamanders for about 3 years and my reasons for liking them have nothing whatsoever to do with the shiny new character they have just received, and whom GW completely fabricated for the new Codex). I will post up information about their name when I decide what I'm going to do for them.

And in addition, GODDAMMIT

« Reply #37 on: October 5, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »
the harlequins are coming along quite nicly, ive got the blue and red finished (other then minor touch ups) and ive got the black base coated/ inked to cover up any were i missed with primer. i just need to highlight the black (not sure how i want to do this yet, need to have a look at some other harlequin models). Im not having any luck camera wise as my mom took it to the cottage so i dont have one at this time, should get it back wensday or so.

Im making good tiime so far, hope to beable to show some progress soon

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)

Offline Alexander's Son

« Reply #38 on: October 6, 2008, 12:29:24 AM »
Well, I am supremely frustrated about this, but everyone and his beslubbering dog appears to be doing a Salamanders army these days, so I'm throwing the Salamanders into the bin. (Not the models, obviously). I am currently designing my own chapter (and I'm very annoyed about it because I've been intending to play Salamanders for about 3 years and my reasons for liking them have nothing whatsoever to do with the shiny new character they have just received, and whom GW completely fabricated for the new Codex). I will post up information about their name when I decide what I'm going to do for them.

And in addition, GODDAMMIT

Chuckles the decision to make an army and play with it is up to you and your reasons to take that army up at the first place.

You shouldn't be discouraged by the fact that everyone will be playing Salamanders for the few first months, until the Wolf Codex comes out, because the new is always desirable. How many of the people who will be collecting SM and Salamanders particularly will be playing them after a while?

I think you should stick to your first decision, not because of the rules as there isn't a rule forbidding you a change, but because it is your desire to play Salamanders... and you will see  ;)

• Ancient
« Reply #39 on: October 6, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »
Fair enough. I've also had an idea in relation to how I want the army to end up. I've always loved the background for Salamanders Chapter Master Tu'Shan, and looking through the SM codex, I've spotted a character that I think I can use for him- Lysander. In addition, by conferring Stubborn to my army he also exemplifies the idea that the Salamanders are almost as reluctant to abandon a position as the Imperial Fists.

So the Salamanders are back, but in a slightly alternate version to the norm. No Vulkan for me.