News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Evil_Toast's Cyber Germans blog ( of sorts ) [ Pics added ]  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
  • All glory to the Hypnotoad .
Evil_Toast's Cyber Germans blog ( of sorts ) [ Pics added ]
« on: April 20, 2008, 03:58:16 AM »
Copyright Howard_33 , Deviant Art

Well , I finally decided to hell with the money , I want a Death Korps army ! So started my collection yesterday at Salute , but due to Gamesday France hogging all the stuff amongst other issues , I never got what I wanted . Namely infantry . I like building my armies logically , HQ , Troops then everything else . So all I managed to lay my grubby paws on was : 3 Lascannon Teams , 2 Commissars and a Ryza Leman Russ Demolisher turret ( with Tank Commander and Trench Rails ) .

So , by now you must be wondering whats the point of this blog ? Simple , I hope to slowly build up my Cyber Germans , and show all the ideas I have for the bases , paint scheme and all the sundry bits involved in assembling , painting and gaming with a GW army . Or Forge World in this case .

So , lets get started .

Paint Scheme : I look at the Death Korps , I think German WW1 infantry . I know they could be generic WW1 troopers , but to me it's the German Imperial Army . So , browsing Waterstones on Friday I came across an Osprey book dealing with German infantry uniforms 1917-1918 . And I immediately saw something I liked . Managed to find an example to show you Here . As for the rest , Trenchcoats , Commissar's Hat and miscellaneous equipment .

I have still got to browse the Vallejo paint line for colours to match , so that will be a later update .

Well this is just a start , so watch this space for more , if somewhat infrequent , updates . It is after all being ordered from Forge World , so who knows how long it will take me !
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:01:58 PM by Evil_Toast »
Models painted 2011 . 2010 in brackets .
Infantry : 0 (32)
Large Infantry : 0 (9) 
Bikes/Jetbikes : 3 (0)
Walkers/MC's : 0 (5)
Tanks : 0 (4)
Large Tanks : 0 (0)

Last unit painted : 3 Eldar Jetbikes
Screw it, I give up.

Offline Von Lazuli

• What happened to my hat?!
Re: Evil_Toast's Cyber Germans blog ( of sorts )
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:48 AM »
Ah... Cyber Germans... The idea makes me smile. Plus, you are using the DKoK models, so they are sure to look amazing.

About your colour scheme though. The helmets look a little silly in full scale, but I imagine the black lines would adapt themselves very well to models, I do think the colours look out of place next to the flat grey trenchcoats though.

Oh well. I look forward to seeing some nice looking Guard nethertheless.

Laz
If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:48:30 AM »
Ooh, a DKoK blog. This looks promising.

I will watch it very closely.
 :)
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:21:01 AM »
Ah... Cyber Germans... The idea makes me smile. Plus, you are using the DKoK models, so they are sure to look amazing.

Yes , yes they are . Been having impure thoughts about the mini's since they came out .

About your colour scheme though. The helmets look a little silly in full scale, but I imagine the black lines would adapt themselves very well to models, I do think the colours look out of place next to the flat grey trenchcoats though.

Have been thinking the same thing , but if I can manage to find a colour picture ( not likely , not many colour photo's from the Great War ) or a colour drawing ( from the book , clearly a copyright violation , so will have to continue trawling the internet till I find one somewhere ) it actually looks quite good . And from a practical viewpoint it makes perfect sense , after what part of the soldier will you see when he's walking around in a trench ? But am most likely going to "40K" it up a bit , maybe use browns only ( mud ) or greys to match the coats . It's just the idea of a camoflage pattern on only the helmet that I've never even seen before that caught my eye ! 

Ooh, a DKoK blog. This looks promising.

I will watch it very closely.
 :)

As long as your not expecting a sudden finish , this may take a few months !

Going to start putting up pics soon , just waiting for the PC at home to "allow" me to connect USB devices AKA camera . There are a few minor defects on some of the models , will need to fill them etc . Could maybe turn this into an interactive tutorial , for me and for anyone also doing resin for the first time . So any tips will be welcome .  ;)

Oh , and some help with German translation would also be appreciated when I get to assigning ranks etc . My German is limited to what I picked up playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein , Call of Duty etc . So clearly I got all the stereotypical words sorted  ( Achtung , Jawol , Los [sp ?] , Schnell [sp ?] ):D !
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:30:03 AM by Evil_Toast »

Screw it, I give up.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:52:45 AM »
As long as your not expecting a sudden finish , this may take a few months !

No problem as long as there are regular updates. ;D

Oh , and some help with German translation would also be appreciated when I get to assigning ranks etc . My German is limited to what I picked up playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein , Call of Duty etc . So clearly I got all the stereotypical words sorted  ( Achtung , Jawol , Los [sp ?] , Schnell [sp ?]

;D

Tell me what you need and I'll see what I can do.

Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2008, 04:32:08 AM »
After a hectic few weeks of working and trying to get some Tau painted up for a doubles tourny , finally have a long weekend to spend on my Death Korp . Bought Osprey Men at Arms book dealing with the late ( 1917-18) WW1 German Army . 

Not much to say really , off to buy the paints I need . Will be using Vallejo paints as usual .

Lets break the equipment down .

Tunic , Trousers , Coat , Helmet - Field Grey . After some research turns out post 1915 the colour used is identical to the WW2 uniform colour .
Putees , Back Pack - Grey .
Boots , Straps - Black Leather
Gas Mask , ammo pouches - Leather

There are a few small sundry colours as well , but they are not noteworthy as such . The finished project will show the colours used .

Colour Chart
830 - WWII German Field Grey
991- Dark Sea Grey
871 - Leather Brown
957 - Flat Red
947 - Red
801 - Brass
863 - Gunmetal Grey
979 German cam Dark Green
913 - Yellow Ochre
826 - German  cam Rust Red (?)
846 - Mahogany Brown .

On to my views on the different soldier "classes" available in Codex:VictimsImperial Guard :

Infantry platoons/Conscripts - Freshly raised , no massive divergance from the above colour scheme . A tiny few may have the helmet camo scheme .
Stormtroopers -  Helmets will be a Dark Green to differentiate them . 
Veterans - All will have the helmet camo scheme .

Some modelling things I have in mind will be dealt with later , as will weathering .

Still have to research tanks of the day , but to be perfectly honest will most likely be looking at WWII   tanks for inspiration . 

Screw it, I give up.

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 12:59:19 PM »
Well , got some WIP shots . Any comments and thoughts will be appreciated  ;)

Note the Disciple of Malal about to get unwittingly mugged !
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:00:35 PM by Evil_Toast »

Screw it, I give up.