News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: More than one grey knight chapter  (Read 911 times)

Offline Pyrrhic Victory

More than one grey knight chapter
« on: August 28, 2005, 01:24:18 AM »
I was wondering if their could be more than one chapter of grey knights? I want to know because I don't enjoy collecting armies made by games workshop. This would be interesting for my armies fluff which is basically a inquisitor lord width his own personal chapter. Is this possible? Or can their be only one grey knight chapter. I don't think so because chaos is a great threat and the more grey knights the better.

P.S: I'm glad I'm collecting the knights in shining armour their so diffrent from my tau. That and I read that cool grey knight novel.

Offline Pandamonium

• It's definitely not a trap
Re: More than one grey knight chapter
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 06:50:35 PM »
I don't know much but I remember seeing that somewhere it says Grey Knights are the Space Marine Chapter 666, designated with the devils number.  I think they called it the Grey Knight Chapter, then became the Ordo Malleus.  I think that's it.  If not, someone please correct me.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 06:51:37 PM by O Fortuna »

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 09:01:20 PM »
correct, and also their oath or so is the secret six hundred and sixty six words...

They are their own chapter.

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
    • In case anyone is wondering what I do at university
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 11:54:01 AM »
But there are a thousand space marine chapters, so nothing could withhold you to just make your own chapter, and write a small piece of background for it explaining why they are so well equipped and daemon-hunting like. You could just use the grey knight rules for those. In the same way that everyone else can create their own chapter and use dark angel/blood angel/whatever rules.

Farseer Ulthrion
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Read about my  Daughters of the Martyred Lady (Sisters of Battle).
Check out my collection of Manga and Anime.

Offline Gladewalker

• Commissar
  • XO, 38th Infantry Division
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2005, 01:50:17 PM »
That begs another question. The Daemonhunters (ie Chapter 666) was created pre-Heresy, right? So that means they were an original 10,000-marine chapter right? Are they still large or did they have to break down into successor chapters like the rest of the Adeptus Astartes super-chapters? If not, then there's plenty of room for variations in a chapter that size. If so, then successor chapters would have variations right?
We'll be there when the morning comes!
Screw their minds up with our guns!
We're the last thing they will see!
We're the 98th Reserve Cadian Infantry!

Offline CD

• The Plagued Reaper
  • Ancient
  • :\
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2005, 02:16:23 PM »
The Grey Knights were never a Legion, if memory serves. The threat of Daemons didn't really rear its head until the Horus Heresy, so they'd likely be post-heresy. There certainly isn't any mention of their exploits during the Heresy (the only other Legion like that was the Legion of the Damned, and the last, unknown Legion), and they would've been ideal people to take to Horus' ship in the last battle, that sort of thing. They would've been there had they been pre-heresy.

Since they're just a chapter, they'd be pretty small in comparison.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #6 on: September 5, 2005, 03:02:56 PM »
no the grey knights were never a legion. they werent around that long ago. they are actually a fairly new addition. founded in secret.

they are just a single chapter. but traditionally they never took to the field of battle as the codex allows. they used to travel around in small "hit squads" of about 5 to 7 knights with a brother captain. they would appear during battles to aid allies only when daemons or greater daemons were about, attracted to them through their warp activity.

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #7 on: September 8, 2005, 12:13:54 PM »
What about the Red Hunters?? Are they a chapter like the Grey Knights?
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline Gladewalker

• Commissar
  • XO, 38th Infantry Division
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 08:58:17 PM »
Yup, but they're attracted to Communists and send them back to the Marxist Void from whence they came ;-)

j/k... I dunno
We'll be there when the morning comes!
Screw their minds up with our guns!
We're the last thing they will see!
We're the 98th Reserve Cadian Infantry!

Offline i.strider

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 08:33:23 AM »
why are the grey knights assigned to the number of the devil? they serve satan?
i thought they fight for the good of mankind and kill daemons.
Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake; fire and slaughter!
Spear shall be shaken, shield shall be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Offline Black Sword

• Finish painting your last mini and you die...
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 04:49:52 PM »
I haven't read much of the fluff, but when I showed up to play a game, my opponent said "ooooo, 6 man Grey Knight squads?  The Inquisitor will be VERY upset."  Now, I remembered the Chapter 666 stuff (signifying their dedication to battling the Daemons), and the 666 word oath, so it seemed fitting to have three 6 man squads...

So... Is 6 a "bad" number for them or not??  ???
Chapter Master,
Ordo Pacificus chapter,

40K Fight Club

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 02:05:36 AM »
Digging up old, since long dead, topics and posting on them, especially without adding some remarkable new input into the discussion, is really poor netiquette, and the thread has now been locked. We like to keep current topics on page one of the forum, so dragging up older material is not something desirable. Please don't do that in the future. Thank you.
Have a nice day.

*Click!*

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.