News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GK tactics  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Elysian Soldier

• For The Greater Good!!!!
GK tactics
« on: May 6, 2003, 11:18:39 PM »
GK tactical questions:

1: Too deep strike or not?
2: Land Raiders?
3: how many termies is good?
4: walking GKs a good or bad idea?

I believe that walking anything is just plain BAD. I was wondering if an army containing 3 storm trooper squads in transports is a good idea. Say 2 rhino mounted squads and 1 chimera mounted squad. Each squad with teleport homers. The force of 10 GK termies and 15 power armor GKs can then teleport down right ontop of the disembarked storm troopers. Is a tactic like this usable or should I stick with a "PURE" GK force deepstriking down, supported by orbital strikes?

I also would love to try a "Deathwing GK" army =) Not completely termies as you need IS or power armor guys but I own 2 land raiders 15 GKs and 10 termies. I also own 35 storm troopers. I'm trying to build an army that I can use from game to game without much in the way of major changes. Basically I want a "CORE" list that I can add to or change very little. I also want to stick to a certian set of tactics and not do something new every game.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Offline Grey knight grand master petrovicsh

• Nature shall be restored!
Re:GK tactics
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2003, 03:13:21 PM »
persoally i would get walking grey knights because thy have good armour and they can take hits and get 20 termies in 2 squads and give one a telport homer so they can go together and the same nut with normal grey knights and for the imperial stormtroopers in rhinos yes that is good but only because it gets them there quick and you should have some walking but this is only my opinion
we are the holy
we are the pure
it's our job to subdue the wicked
we are the grey knight
don't forget the lost brothers
for it is our time to kill evil

Offline Zaq

« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »
I think the best army would be a mix between GK and the IG infantry army. Been thinking it through and here's what I would use if winning was the goal.

HQ
Grandmaster & Termies

Elite
Termies

Troops
2xStormtroopers (Plasma Guns)
IG Platoons with a mix of HW, Flamers & Plasma Guns.

Fast Attack
GK Teleport squads
Sentinels w/Heavy Flamers

Heavy Support
Orbital Strike- Melta Bomb

Remember the Melta Bomb is a killer so deploy your GKs wisely. The Termies are safe from the Melta Bomb so use them to tie up valuable units in the Melta Bomb blast. They kill other Termies too and the Grandmaster provides you with that one useful force weapon ;). Use the teleporting squads to hit intercept units that move towards your army.

I like Missile Launchers myself. Nothing like pinning the enemy near the Orbital Strike area. If you're really nasty get an Inquisitor and Callidus. Use Word in your Ear to move enemy Ordnance out in the open or enemy HW squads out of LOS.

Sentinels are really good with the Heavy Flamer in case you play maps with lots of cover or LOS obstructions.

« Last Edit: May 7, 2003, 05:19:00 PM by Zaq »

Offline Zaq

« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2003, 05:24:34 PM »
Oh...Dirty Trick of the Day:

In objective missions place the Melta Bomb Strike ON the objective. Then claim it at the end with your Termies...

Offline Elysian Soldier

« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2003, 10:44:32 PM »
Now thats dirty =)

I think the best army would be one with 2 inducted IG platoons and a Leman Russ for some nice Ordanance blasts. Also you could through in a orbital strike to beef things up.

I'm playing in a DaemonHunter Mega battle at my store in virgina. No point limit but ONLY GKs can be used. No inquisitors, assasians, inducted troops or storm troopers, etc... Just GK termies and power armor guys. No tanks either. But then again no point limit so I'm feild massive numbers of termies. Its an opener to EoT plus its a way to get us to buy more GK models.... BUt hey they look awsome.

Offline Zaq

« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2003, 07:48:28 AM »
Nah if you have 1 Russ he's just going to be a big target. I'd much rather spend the points on more IG.

Only way to beat an all Infantry IG is with

1. Lots of Ordnance.
2. Get mission objective since infantry are slow.
3. Get into CC.

Strengths of a DH List

1. Ordnance resistant and teleporting squads kill Ordnance vehicles. Callidus can instantly make up points using Word in your Ear to place the vehicle in the open where it is shot.
2. GK Teleport squads or Termies can get objectives. Orbital Strike denies movement.
3. GK excel in CC and Deep Striking lets them pick their targets.

Unless an army is tailored to beat your it's highly unlikely that it will. I've played a few games where I managed to Deep Strike my GKs at the back of the enemy's army, shoot with the IG (Mass Missile Launchers, Plasma & Autocannons) at the front and dump the Melta Bomb in the middle. It was ridiculous how fast everything just kinda vanished in 2 turns. Sure I lost a few GK to a really scattered Melta Bomb but he lost far more points.

I'm not normally a big missile launcher fan but when you get to blow up transports and pin squads near the orbital strike........

Offline Elysian Soldier

« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2003, 05:53:15 PM »
I've reviewed that strengths and weaknesses of the army and I've come up with this list.

Brother captian
5 GK termies
=291

Inqusitor /w power armor, power weapon, plasma pistol
=55

2 Death Cult assasians=180

Callidus assasian=120

10 Storm troopers /w 2 flamers
Rhino /w extra armor, smoke
=168

9 Storm troopers /w 2 melta guns
1 veteran /w plasma pistol
Rhino /w extra armor, smoke
=198

*Inducted IG platoon*

Command section
Lt /w targeter
4 guardsmen /w 1 auto cannon

Squad 1 /w Lascannon
Squad 2 /w Lascannon
Squad 3 /w Lascannon
=291

6 GK marines /w 1 psycannon
1 Justicar
=225

Melta Bombardment
=70

TOTAL = 1498

Well thats the army list I've come up with from reviewing all the tactics. Melta bomb a evident strong point while my IG shoot up the enemy's transports and such. The GK marines will stay behind the IG lines to lend support to any enemy break throughs. The storm troopers should rush along the flank and try to stay just out of the melta bombardments range. The flamer squads kills the troops while the melta squad is my anti dreadnough team. Dreadnoughts are VERY popular around here and that team should always have a job to do. Then my Termies can deep strike near the melta bombardment as they still get their save. The Inqusitor and assasians are just "Chaos Factor" nothering to do with actual chaos just they they are going to cause chaos or havoc =).

In basic terms. Bomb the center, shoot enemy tanks, rush the flank, teleport into the weakened line.

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2003, 08:00:47 PM »
Oh...Dirty Trick of the Day:

In objective missions place the Melta Bomb Strike ON the objective. Then claim it at the end with your Termies...

Remember you still do have a save to make!

Offline Elysian Soldier

« Reply #8 on: May 8, 2003, 08:53:47 PM »
true but it's a might good save =) The point is to try and tie up some enemies in CC and possibly have the bombardment hit the area. More damaged to them then to the termies.