News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Posting units stats and pts?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline fremen

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Posting units stats and pts?
« on: February 3, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »
Just a quick question, how come the moderation is so "harsh" on this forum, concerning unit's stats and pts? I've watched live as info from codices leaked on dakka and warseer many times, people are also posting links for scribd/torrents, they don't seem to have any problems with GW?

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Posting units stats and pts?
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »
Because GW legal has been in contact with this forum in the past, and we don't want to give them a reason to get in touch about legal issues again.

For a more comprehensive discussion on the subject, you might find this thread helpful.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: Posting units stats and pts?
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
When there was more traffic, some people would outright ask for other users to be rulebook replacements, others would post whole unit entries, and so on.  We don't so much as modslap anyone for it these days, generally just a tap on the shoulder.  And posting a limited amount of stat or point information can be relevant to a discussion and are allowed.  "The Salamander's Toothpick is 50 points, don't waste points on it," or, "the Str7 is better in my opinion for dealing with flyers."

Other sites have been targeted by GW legal, and some ... well, practically unrelated things.

The book Spots The Space Marine was pulled from Amazon after Games Workshop claimed it owned the term "Space Marine."  Bad news for Alien fans.  Thanks to the perpetually exceptional Electronic Frontier Foundation, it's back:  EFF Helps Return 'Space Marine' Book to Amazon After 'Trademark Bullying'

Board Game Geek was hit by a cease & desist letter a few years back.

I could care less about Games Workshop's villainous, aggressive notion of protecting its copyright, but I will do what is necessary to keep them from harassing 40kO.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.