News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: By the authority...  (Read 577 times)

Offline Galadhar

By the authority...
« on: March 26, 2009, 11:13:15 PM »
So, simple question. If I where to lead a unit of tactical marines with an elite inquisitor what would be the best way to equip him?

I know I'm going to be told what a bad idea this is, that's fine. But, if anyone does feel need to point out my folly could they also leave some equipment advice as well.  :)

ta.

Offline Guildmage Arcas

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: By the authority...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:06:43 AM »
What sort of inquistor and what sort of tactical squad?

If its a deamonhunters inquistor and a tactical squad you're planning on have sit at range then obviously the psycannon is a good choice, if you're getting up close then an incinerator adds to the unit's short range firepower. Alternatively he can carry a null rod around which is quite handy for stopping people irritating the unit with psychic powers.

A witchhunter inqusitor is less useful in this circumstance and probably best equiped with a combi-weapon of some sort or an inferno pistol if its a unit planning on getting close. Again amusing anti-psychic wargear might be handy like the hexagrammic wards...

Whichever you chose they're both pretty useless at combat so I wouldn't spend too many points trying in that deptartment, but at least the Witchhunter inquisitor gets discount powerswords if you really feel the need. Above all my advice is keep it cheap and cheerful.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Galadhar

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:24:22 PM »
Thanks. I was going to base my tactical squads role around that of my inquisitor (I figure if I get him as effective as I can SMs are flexible). Liking the null rod idea quite allot good for blasting eldar Harlequins etc. Incinerator also nice hmmm.

I never really considered whether a null rod might negate 'fortune' as well.......... Thinking about it, probably not but I'll read my codex's just in case. Antway it's still a great piece of kit and along with a bolt pistol makes a nice cheap Inquisitor! Anti psychic is one of those few things Inquisitors do well.

Thanks again!

Offline Guildmage Arcas

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:44:40 PM »
Null rods are useless against stuff like Fortune or Conceal. They're pretty good for stopping things that directly harm your unit like the Harliquins veil of tears, mind war, doom and that sort of thing. Of course you can have the incinerator too if you really want, ends up being a lot of stuff on a fragile guy..
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Galadhar

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:58:09 AM »
Yeah, I think it'd have to be a null rod or an incinerator. Just too expensive otherwise. I guess the psycannons a good option as well for fire support, and at that range I can protect him with, tough as nails, vanilla marines (it just seems so fitting for an Inquisitor).

Thanks for your advice and the rules clarifications. Very helpful indeed!  :)