News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40ko Daemonhunters revision  (Read 6828 times)

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
Re: 40ko Daemonhunters revision
« Reply #40 on: November 4, 2006, 05:18:30 PM »
I can see it now, Oh BTW my Chaos army left the big nasty Daemon Prince at home so you don't get your HQ Grand Master but I still get my Blood thirsters that have AV3 and can assault with their power weapons on the turn they arrive!

For game balance a restriction on my list compared to the opponents list is unrealistic. The whole point is to get the list more playable against all comers not just the daemons, look in the DH Codex they have a whole page on the many reasons why they would fight various opponents.

Rob

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines

Offline Findecano

« Reply #41 on: November 5, 2006, 05:31:55 AM »
actually, I wouldn't like the list to be more compatible against everything. DH should go back to being used in conjunction with IG, the way they'd normally play, with perhaps one or two grey knight squads, and a small terminator squad, at the max. pure GK lists should only be good against daemons, and reasonable against other armies.
Armies: Sons of Malice, Inquisitorial Black Ship force, Salamanders, Raven Guard.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #42 on: November 6, 2006, 03:03:01 AM »
well, IIRC, 100 GK termies battled a number of bloodthirsters and angron, the WE primarch, during the first armageddon war, which would make GKT a lot better than they already are...

12 bloodthirsters and angron versus 100 grey knight terminators. And bear in mind that only a handful of grey knights were left afterwards.
That's actually a pretty fair match in points value, even if you assum there were no brother captains with daemonhunter wargear (there were) and you allow a whopping 2240 points of khornate goodness for angron.

It's a game I'd like to see though.

Is the grand master actually intended to represent the chapter master, though?
It's never made clear (indeed there's never any suggestion of how the higher command of the chapter works, or even if there is one; it may just be Inquisitorial control) - and anyone trying to map ranks across from other chapters should remember that 'brother-captains' turn up as terminator squad leaders....

Really would like to see a codex inquisition, rather than daemonhunters, or whatever.

Essentially you have
Generic Inquisition units (stormtroopers/arbites, inquisitors, inquisitor lords, assasins, etc)

Inducted imperial guard
or Allied Marines (if not using a chamber millitant)

and one (with possible allies of a second) of:
Ordo Malleus Chamber Millitant (Grey Knights)
Ordo Xenos Chamber Millitant (Deathwatch kill team, lone deathwatch veterans)
Ordo Hereticus Chamber Millitant (Adepta Sororitas)
Radical Units (Rogue Psykers, Daemonhosts, Alien Allies, Wargear)

With all the inquisitor's armouries and henchmen collapsed into one list - for example, can anyone think of a convincing reason why a Hereticus inquistor; who often works hand-in-glove with the ecclesiarchy, can't take a hierophant (a preacher). Equally, an ordo xenos inquisitor is probably the one most likely to find himself in a battle (in the normal sense of the word, with opposing army et all) - an inferno pistol seems a sensible thing to come packing...

Ordos are not a strict organisation (see Inquisitor) any more than the radical or puritan factions are, and any given inquisitor can work with several or none...for example, Eisenhorn and Ravenor are in theory Ordo Xenos, yet their defining foes are heretics and daemons...

« Last Edit: November 6, 2006, 03:25:53 AM by Locarno »
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Findecano

« Reply #43 on: November 6, 2006, 11:02:22 AM »
then again, sanguinis battled a bloodthirster and only just won, albeit during the HH. I'm entirely agreeing with you on the other points though. I am however afraid that Codex: Inquisition will be condensed grossly, like the GW move to remove eldar craftworlds.
Armies: Sons of Malice, Inquisitorial Black Ship force, Salamanders, Raven Guard.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: November 6, 2006, 11:10:44 AM »
Codex Eldar isn't that over-simplified....There aren't 7 different lists, but the list in the codex is far mor flexible than any one of those lists was previously.

remember that one thing they don't do if they can avoid it is make a change to the rules which leaves a model unusable....with in-production models or officially published conversions for sisters of battle, seraphim, canonesses, repentia, arcoflagellants, penitent engines, priests, deathwatch, inquisitors, henchmen, assasins, grey knight terminators, grey knights in powered armour, grey knight dreadnoughts/land raiders and so on..most units can't be got rid of readily.
Ditto for most wargear being availible on the model....
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth

Tervigon Army List:

Offline Angels Purgatus

• Neophyte
  • Fall beneath the feet of the Imperium.
« Reply #45 on: November 6, 2006, 03:56:30 PM »
I think it is a great idea to combine the Inquisitional forces as long as the autonomy of the specific orders are maintained.  Having such a codex which had a core list and a possibility to ally-in the specific groups (to limit the number of say GK as Findecano suggested) would be interesting as you could explore new (or revived) units such as Adeptus Arbietes and native auxilleries.
Kaag VII Veterans (IG) 5th edition record:
  W/D/L - 5 / 4 / 5

"...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before the holy choir of thy guns. The honorless xenos will flee at the sight of thee. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy righteous sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes, Commander of the 183rd Kaagan Rifles

Offline Not The Emperor

« Reply #46 on: November 6, 2006, 05:46:42 PM »
A combined list would be great- if it is a big book

One thing I don't want to see is things like the create a chapter in the SM book. I don't want any way to make GK vary from army to army.

What would be great is a big section on custom inquisitors with psychic powers, wargear, special rules and the ability to change stats. Anybody who saw those character rules they made for medusa I would like something like that.
'Ten ways to recognize the Divine Avatar':

"He shall have a great doom upon his brow, he shall be a witch of great power, he shall be altered in the physical form, he shall be able to talk and walk with the animals”

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #47 on: November 7, 2006, 02:59:36 AM »
I agree that grey knights shouldn't vary, but yes, essentially I see the army (unless it's a pure chamber militant force) being a way of expressing the character and skills of the inquisitor.

E.g. A puritan (chamber millitant) of the Ordo Malleus (grey knights), who's pious (priests and hierophant henchmen) despite being a psyker himself (force weapon and psychic hood. Purity seals/hexagrammic wards to show he's sanctioned as such by the ecclesiarchy). Maintains his own small but elite force for when operating alone (stormtroopers/death cultists).

There needn't be too many custom rules; but if you have all the henchman, weapon, wargear and pyschic power options currently availible to inquisitors (plus a few more to represent Ordo Xenos), that's a hell of a lot of variety already. All that's really needed is points value/rule balancing to ensure that there's more than about 3 viable inquisitor configurations...

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth

Tervigon Army List:

Offline GrandMaster Lygris

• ...but I'm workin on it...
« Reply #48 on: November 8, 2006, 07:48:35 PM »
The GK Grand master is one of the most powerful men in the imperium and shouldn't join any army.

I do however agree that he won't show up unless there is something really big going on. perhaps only allowed in an army with x points of daemons/at least 1 greater daemon/daemonic prince...?

There shouldnt be a limit on the Grand Master, as in Grey Knights, unlike other marine chapters, can have multiple Grand Masters in a form of a ruling council, found this information in a wikipedia article about them, look under organisation, so I find it perfectly acceptable to keep him the way he is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Knights
« Last Edit: November 8, 2006, 07:56:57 PM by GrandMaster Lygris »