News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bring the Pain, 1998pt List  (Read 2434 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Bring the Pain, 1998pt List
« on: July 11, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
Waaagh!  I'm struggling with the dex, but aren't we all?  This is a new 3 CAD list, and I feel super beardy, but its really our best bet with 7th.  Any hints/tips/tricks/advice, you know I'm down to hear it, why else would I post it?!

As a forward, due to my local meta including a LOT of Snipers, and that's why I have multiple Bosspoles.  I plan on using the Orderlies to try and keep those Bosspole characters alive, because that Mob Rule will be even harder to keep the Boyz around without them.

Primary CAD  (683pts)
Warboss Warlord with Eavy Armor, Finkin Kap, Big Choppa, Shoota, and Bosspole
Painboy with Grot Orderly, Bosspole
30 Shootaboyz, Pk Bosspole Nob and 3 Big Shootas
19 Grots and a Runtherd   
3 Twin Rokkit Buggies (each in its own Force Org Slot)
2 units of 3 Kannons each is equipped with 2 extra crewman and an Ammo Runt

CAD #2   (635)
2 Painboys each with a Grot Orderly and Bosspole
2 units of 30 Sluggas Nob with Pk and Bosspole
3 Twin Rokkit Buggies (each in its own Force Org Slot)

CAD #3  (680 pts)
2 Painboys each with a Grot Orderly and Bosspole
30 Sluggas Nob with Pk and Bosspole
30 Shootaboyz, Pk Bosspole Nob and 3 Big Shootas
2 Twin Rokkit Buggies (each in its own Force Org Slot

All in all its not too dissimilar from the Footsloggers I've been running for the past couple years.  Although I really want the Lootas, the trade for Painboyz is really necessary to help mitigate those deaths and possibly some Ld tests.

From a first glance all those Buggies look as if I'm handing away First Blood.  That's why I now point to the best change of the 7th Edition book, those Buggies have Outflank!  If First Blood hasn't been got by the time the Buggies start coming in and lighting up side/rear armor, I'm probably not going to get it in anyway.

To play this list I'll have to get a couple extra Grots and convert a couple new Painboyz who really SHOULD have access to Eavy Armor.  Then again so should the Nobz, I can't count how many times having that Armor made a major difference, it was one of my go-tos.  Changing codex, letting go.

Anywho, any advice or whatnot, I'm totally open and eager to hear it.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Bring the Pain, 1998pt List
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:25:41 AM »
I have found the new mob rule to be very disconcerting, it actually kills more boys than enemy CC. So, my orks have been run down more times in this new codex (with only two games) than in the entire last few years.

Maybe I should try your pain boy spam trick to see if it is viable for me. I think it is a good idea. As for boss poles they are worthless, they only let you reroll the mob rule table. Actually not worth the points as you still lose D6 boys every time you fail a LD test (my average has been 4, which in a truck boy squad is devastating).

Make sure to get that deck of game cards, as the (insert expletive here) GW design team has made it so that the only way we can win a game is by points.

The list looks good, of course I think not enough vehicles, but since you are foot slogging it seems balanced enough.

Are you going to make the grot guns tractor beams? Seems it might be the only anti air we have besides the tank busta spam trick.

Let us know how you fare, I might just have to put the truck boys in hibernation next to my eldar in the garage and become a foot slogging player. the Green Tide is looking more and more tempting...
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 04:24:57 PM »
Maybe I should try your pain boy spam trick to see if it is viable for me. I think it is a good idea. As for boss poles they are worthless, they only let you reroll the mob rule table. Actually not worth the points as you still lose D6 boys every time you fail a LD test (my average has been 4, which in a truck boy squad is devastating).

Either you're doing this wrong, or you've been really unlucky! On a successful mob rule test (results 2-6 at least), you take D6 S4 HITS, not wounds, so on average (don't forget the t-shirt) you should take 1.46 casualties (I.e 1-2).

Still not great for a mob of trukk boyz; and of course if your trukk gets exploded, you can expect to lose 5 out of 12 to the explosion, then fail at least one of the 2 morale tests that follow, so even if the resultant mob rule test goes in your favour, you will lose 1-2 more. I do think a boss pole is worth it though, as 5-6 boyz who aren't running away beats 7 that are.

I think larger mobs are probably stronger, but really I think that the paradigm shift with this codex is that boyz are no longer going to be the go to unit. I think instead they are now a means to get HQs and toyz, in what has been referred to elsewhere as a troop tax. (Not an alien concept to many codexes, pun intended).

Both of these considerations are making me lean towards 10-strong trukk mobs, with a " find the lady " approach to PK nobz ... The alternative is 'ard boy trukk mobz, who only lose 3 to an explosion, and less than 1 to successful mob rule tests.

Anyway, to the original post, I'd agree about the need for anti-air - I'd be interested to know how 30 strong mobz are, and might be tempted to make one of the slugga mobz another shoota mob? More expensive nowadays, of course.

Buggies look good - what's the plan for the grots? Don't forget in 7th that your artillery can capture battlefield objectives if not contested by troops.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:09:35 AM »

Either you're doing this wrong, or you've been really unlucky! On a successful mob rule test (results 2-6 at least), you take D6 S4 HITS, not wounds, so on average (don't forget the t-shirt) you should take 1.46 casualties (I.e 1-2).

Yes indeed, I was playing it like the old codex as wounds, not hits. This last game I lost a lot less boys to mob rule.

As for the ten strong trukk boys, it works ok. I noticed no real difference in the game with the choppa/slugga boys. The shoota boys in my drive by truck still need the full 12 to be effective.

Waaagh!  I'm struggling with the dex, but aren't we all?  This is a new 3 CAD list, and I feel super beardy, but its really our best bet with 7th.  Any hints/tips/tricks/advice, you know I'm down to hear it, why else would I post it?!

Peace
~OD

I have learned to come to grips with making the new lists using multi force orgs (detachments). It took a while for this old ork to figure out that the major change to 7th is the multi detachment list (and of course the cards).

So, like you, my list has remained about the same, broken down into multi detachments so I can take more fast attack choices, only now I have to spend more on HQ choices than I like. The pain boy seems like a cheap HQ, and I was wondering if I could just take a mek as an HQ using up the slot rather than getting one as a add on.

The other part I have a hard time choosing is which force org to use. If you use the one from the ork codex then your troops get hammer of wrath (sort of), while if you use the one from the rule book your troops can trump control of an objective. Since just about everything is scoring now, that seems a valuable trait to have. But, if you have large troop units like you do, then the pseudo hammer of wrath seems worth it.

One thing else I have found is that only your primary detachment gets the bonus, secondary and tertiary detachments don't get the special abilities, making you want to put the majority of your troop choices in the primary. (unless the rules lawyers at my local are reading it wrong...)

So, maybe you might want to split your grot unit into smaller units, put most of your 30 boy squads in your primary, and then use multiple small units of grots to fill out your other two detachments troop requirements. You may have to drop the three big shootas from the boys units, and the orderlies, to get the points for your four squads of 10 grots.

I have also found that the lootas are great anti air. Better than tank bustas, So, maybe in your tertiary detachment drop one unit of 30 boys for the full size unit of lootas. Of course I see you have your grot gun batteries, since you don't list what gun they are using, I would guess kannon. If you are making them traktor guns then never mind the advice on lootas.

Let us know how they play out. I may just have to convert to large units of boys in BWs. (does that mean the Evil Suns will disown me as I am using Blood Axe tricks?)  :D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
Skeet:  it's ok...embrace the "dark side" of the Blood Axe...kunnin' n tactical ain't so bad...just sayin'.

OD:  I think your list looks good...being a fellow foot slogger (hold over from my service days).  I do agree with everyone that you need air support or air defense as it were.  Lootas shouldn't be too bad at this, and if your local gamers are truly game, maybe use the FW flaktrak?  Just an idea...it's a heavy, but I think it would be worth it to ensure your army still has something to fight with halfway through a game...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?