News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event II  (Read 18949 times)

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
Re: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event II
« Reply #20 on: October 6, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »
100 boyz is...  Well...  Going to be challenging!  I did 50 one month in preparation for a tourney and I haven't painted a boy since...  Burned me out on them...  On the flip side though, I did manage to get really good at painting boyz! lol

Anyhow, here is my work as of now...  Most of mine is just finishing models that have been primed and/or adding weapons and such for a tourney at the beginning of next month...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 8, 2012, 03:16:14 AM »
Good luck on the cam situation Dralith.  Most phones have a camera in them, but quality is questionable and to be honest I'm not sure how to get the picture off the phone (I know I'm a troglodyte when it comes to certain technologies).
Nice stuff Adam, from what I can see I'm intriqued with the bases on the Kans, any chance we can see a more detailed picture?

Projekt Update: 4 hours in...

Using a combination of the dremel and a handsaw I cut the kan diameter PVC for an alternate side engine intake for one of the planes and mounted it.  Additionally measurements (and rechecking measurements) I've started cutting out wings and made a duplicate Flyer base.

I know it doesn't look like a lot of work done in 4 hours, the need for more precision than my typical Orky close enough approach + tool accidents do happen though and I can only hope that there won't be too many more setbacks on this projekt.  Using the new scratchbase I made the first mock up of a large scrap complex (small shack

Thankfully I still have some scratch side plates from Leman Russes, as well as the top hull of what was going to be a LemanRuss to Battlewagon conversion.  I need to plop more scrap on, as well as Gretchen looters, and maybe a dead SMurf, but I think this basic beginning layout is good enough.  Definitely not looking forward to the time intensive detailing of the card to make it look like a Leman Russ track unit, but it'll have to do.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #22 on: October 8, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
A very long day, from about 0730 (the "0" stands for omg early) till sunset of painting orks.

Sixty orks, as you can see I got all the "bulk" painting done. That is the skin, clothes and weapons.

Here is the all slugga squad

Here in this squad I added in three rockit launchas so that I can either death or glory and/or shoot at planes.

Now on to touchups, and other details like teef, eyes, holsters, etc. And some basing.  I have all of today off and the weather is supposed to be good, so I should make some serious progress today.  I might even put the grots on the table and get painting them as well.  :P
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 9, 2012, 01:56:13 AM »
Wow Skeetergod.  I continue to be astounded at the fast paint skillz you display.  Additionally good show on mixing up the boyz a bit, I notice a couple AoBR, standard and fantasy in there.  I also find it a bit intriguing that it looks like we use the same desert sand linen color for Ork shirts, but then again great minds think alike.

As for myself...
8 hours into projekt...

Here is the basic bit reproductions and how they stand at the moment.  The track unit isn't very highly detailed yet, but I've put down the first layer of ablative (which will need some additional filler or greenstuffing to round everything out), as well as the armor segmentation.  All that's left there is the last minimal layer of ablative then the fine details of gear works.  I'm going to leave out the turning alignment and forward shocks and either hope that's not noticed or more likely have those bits covered up with other assorted junk.  As for the rear horizontal wing it's size duplicated with lots of damaged bits (maybe too much detailing, it stands out on the standard plane, which I suppose I must now ding and damage the heck out of... insert orky grin here)

More on the standard plane...

this is the front of the side engine intake.  I know it doesn't look like much, but its more difficult than it looks.  At least I made sure to have additional precut sized bits for the other side.  It'll look great when painted though, which is the redeeming quality at the end of the day.

The base is... well a continuing challenge.  After getting the pipe secured and the Russ hull down had a problem with the glue when touching up.  Thankfully almost all of the glue spilled in limited visability and not on the hull, so to use the spilt glue I started chopping some sprue and threw a couple off cuts in.  It does break up monotony and adds detail, but I'm not sure about the painting.  Another unfortunate part of this was the weakening of the central pipe, but thankfully I was able to reinforce it with a slightly smaller one I was going to have attached to the plane itself, and it still supports the weight necessary.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: October 9, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard.  8)

My ork boys are done, two almost eleven hour days of painting and 90 boys later, I am looking for something else to do.
  Now don't get me wrong, I didn't spend eleven straight hours chained to the painting table each day, there were food breaks, answer the phone breaks, coffee breaks, honey do this breaks, and of course taking out the trash break as well. However the majority of the both days were spent painting.

Since I am on pseudo holiday, "roughing" it in the woods in my RV, sitting around enjoying the quiet, I think I will get started on the grots, since I have only ever used them for wargear in the past this should be interesting painting thirty grots and their three herders.

I am currently without camera so I won't be able to get a picture until this Thursday.

So, can I make another pledge, or am I done for the month?

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #25 on: October 9, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
Well, figured I'd better show what I've got started to ensure that I'm done by the end of the month...
This is the beginnings of my zzap battery; again, they started life as what was known as lifta gunz, back in the day...

I have started more grot crew and a runtherd, I'll get pictures along shortly...You can also see some of my nobz in the upper portion of the picture.  Here are the piles of nobz that I'm working with:

I have most assembled now...yes, better pictures are coming along shortly...
My vehicle shots:
truck/trak

I apologize for the blurry shot, don't know what caused that.  This particular vehicle screws together, and I've kept it apart until I'm completely done, modeling and painting.  Lots of plasticard and bits work, but a good working vision on paper...
junka

Now, this was fully assembled when I purchased it years ago and has sit on my shelves gathering dust.  I've begun "breaking/altering" it's bits and appearance.  It too has a good vision on paper; translation with plasticard and bits is also forthcoming.  I'm toying with the idea of having two seperate "machine" mounts: KFF, and SAG mounts, utilizing magnets and whatnot...
Well, that's all for now.  I worked more on them all yesterday and today.  My schedule is as follows:
8-12:  Assembly of all parts, figures, items
13-19:  Primer and paint all assembled items
20-26:  build terrain, Da Drops
27-31:  finishing touches to all works.
I'll be busy, but since I haven't slept a full night since 1988 anyway, I have the spare time.
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #26 on: October 9, 2012, 06:34:14 PM »
Looking good Ork enuff...  I can't wait to see what you are doing with all of those bits...  BTW...  Where did the zzap gun bitz come from...  Looks good...

Skeet...  Have you gone blind yet...  I can't believe you have painted that many boyz! lol

Adam

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #27 on: October 9, 2012, 10:01:19 PM »
adam:  they are the old Ork Smasha gunz, circa mid- to late-90's.  I've had them forever.  I think they were part of the codex from the early 90's.  Never got to use them, can't use them now as "smashas"; why not zzap?  Good times....good times...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »
Cool stuff Ork E Nuff I really like the base you have for what you've labeled trukk/trakk.  In my opinion I think the Big Trakk would fit it best, but that's in part because it looks larger than the standard Trukk model and the Big Trakk is the in between.  Also what I can only assume are Flakk guns in the rear turret are one of the weapon options for the Big Trakk.  If you know what the model is of or scale of it you'll probably have a couple of copycats rushing off to pick it up.

Projekt Update: 12 hours into projekt...

Engines have been attached to both airframes, on the pipe built I've also attached the front cowling from the standard kit.  Of course I did this without remembering I had to chop a centemeter and a half from the front so it's slightly longer than the usual jet, I'll have to live with that though.  The rear horizontal scratch wing is finished and a bit bloody, every good Orky Konversion I've done has entailed at least one injury on my part so at least I think I'm on the right track with it.

I'd post more photos of the current progress but unfortunately the camera's battery died after this shot (which doesn't show a lot of the work unfortunately).  I did go through a good regimen of scratches, dings, and bullet holes on the body of the kit and the hull of the Leman Russ on the base.  The scratch wings are in progress, working on recessing the shooty bitz and wingflaps.  It'll look great when all's said and done, for now it's a bit of a mess so it's just as well that the camera can't take a pic of it.

Peace
~OD

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
Well then, I have been busy while "roughing it"  ;)

Here are the Ninety boys and the boss done

Here is the first squad

Here is the second squad

And here is the third squad with rockit launchas

Then of course a great running start on the thirty grots

A closer look to see that I even got to the teef

A group photo of the three herders

And if that wasn't enough, I assembled the fourty cultists from the new box set

Twenty Shooty cultists

Twenty Choppy cultists

All led by Bat Mek who will "count as" a no frills chaos lord

The grots look shinier than the orks as I ran out of ork hide and had to use dark angels green, a bit of ink work should take care of that. Then to base them and they are done.

As for the cultists, you can see they will be "led" by an ork boy who will count as their champion. I am stealing the idea to call them "Diggas" (nicked from another ork who wasn't looking)  ??? If I am allowed to I would like to declare them for this "Gitz it Done" event, if not I will keep working on them just because I didn't get to last month for the looting the new box set event.

I will have to wait till I get to the store as I am currently out of primer (gee, wonder why) and to see what my work schedule is for next week, to see how far I get. Bat Mek is already done, so I can't claim him for this challenge, he was just one of my many to do things that can be done with orks that makes the game fun.

I am having a blast getting all this done, who knows, I might even get to work on my two other stompas if I get these cultists done in time.  ;D

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »
If I remember correctly the SBO (precursor to the current Junkyard Events) Athaga continually added more challenges as he went, of course that was then and this is now.  AoD will have to make a ruling on it, and I'm not going to guess if he'll say yes or no.  What I will say is "By Gork's Fist thats an amazing job!"  Did you paint your fingers Red?!  Skeetergod you are truly an Orky master of Speed Painting.

Also thanks for giving me a new thing to post in the signature Skeetergod, its incredibly nice to be compared to Leonardo, who next to Rube Goldberg and M.C. Escher is one of the most inspirational artists for me (and those who don't know the artists should really look them up!).

Breaking my cycle of updates here I am with a Projekt Update at hour 15

Here's a shot of the basic plane's frame now all together (no longer mocking it together with rubber bands!) with quite a bit of internal card holding the kustom side engines on as well as a plasticard internal maw.  I have a feeling if I was building it standard it would have stuck together better, but the challenge is part of the fun.

What to discuss next... Why not the Wings!

These will be added to the plane above, and both of them are 80-85% complete now, lots of damage of course as is my purview.  At the moment I don't know if I'll damage the wing flaps too much, I kinda like it has is, looks as though the flaps are brand new which gives a bit of strangeness to the otherwise blasted wings.  Comments on this would be highly appreciated.

Lastly is the base with a shot of the pipe flyer resting on top

The Russ sides are mocked up with a bit of tape, but the main phase of the detailing is complete, all that's left to it is putting in the gear works, and access doors (which unfortunately have to wait on me buying the tubing I need as well as either buying another Russ sprue or finding the bits).  On the side you may notice a conspicous piece of tube, it's going to be made up to the hull of a broken down kan which will be resting/covering the rounded edge of the Russ track. 

This is obviously an overhead shot of the base mock up currently, the Kan torso is in place, although I think I need to skew it so its not so perpendicular.  On the other side of the Russ Trakk is about 1/4th of the bottom of the standard Russ kit heavily damaged of course.  Its an element of extra detail that I feel is necessary, although it does slightly hang over the edge of the base which I hope won't be too much of an issue.  I also hope to have the cash to grab some grots to plop on/around the base, maybe with a small Rebel Grot hide out in the almost upsidedown Russ cabin.  The round bit in the Russ tracks is in part to keep the mock up at the right width, but also because I'm thinking about putting in another rod for added support.

So that's where I'm at.  It may or may not look like much for the time I've put in, but that's the nature of scratchbuilding/heavy konverzion work.  At this point I estimate the entire project to be around 40-45% complete.  Still a lot of work to do what with building canopies, the guns, rear wings, landing struts, and of course finishing base 1 and making the 2nd base/figuring out how to mount the flyer without the flying stand.  Oh and paint. I know there's 20 more days left which sounds like a lot of time, but the real world's schedule is filling up fast.

Peace
~OD

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Orks and maybe a fotm ;)
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 05:53:19 PM »
Loota Progress:

Sorry I didn't get any pics before I base coated them.

Some conversions I like, some I don't, so looking for any suggestions.

sorry for the pic-heavy-ness, the large classroom style pic looked bad :(

Probably my favorite one above, the under-arm hold looks surprisingly natural.

my least favorite one below, any help? probably shouldn't have put an eldar missle launcher on there LOL. I moved that one rivit that is off too, so thats slightly better.

I've started painting, making surprisingly good progress. Again, any feedback and suggestions will definitely be taken.
Cheers,

Respekt

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »
THose lootas look great...  Very unique and very orky... 

AoD...  What did you use to do all that pitting on the wings in you plasticard?

Adam

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 09:21:20 AM »
What to discuss next... Why not the Wings!
These will be added to the plane above, and both of them are 80-85% complete now, lots of damage of course as is my purview.  At the moment I don't know if I'll damage the wing flaps too much, I kinda like it has is, looks as though the flaps are brand new which gives a bit of strangeness to the otherwise blasted wings.  Comments on this would be highly appreciated.

I love the look of the wings, can beat the flaps up a little to 'blend'  or they were just looted from a shiny new one and smashedinto place to replace the nonexisting ones left on the battlefield, lol either way those wings look really great.  Whats your secret to doing those blast marks they look really good? :o

@ Skeeter... your are a painting god.  Spead Freak and Paint Freak, awesome combo there boss ;) love the work on the chaos as well

@ respekt... love them lootas... gives me ideas when I can get some more boys.. have lots of imperial weaponary that needs to be turned to the green side

@ Ork E... I like those conversions you are doing, never seen those cannons before only in bigger variety from FW

You guys are def the Green Menace  8)  Whaaagh!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:26:35 AM by Boss Ard'Ragger »
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline travisb7

• Ork Boy
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
Little late to the game, but I'm making a pledge!

BUILT, NEED TO PAINT:
 - 16 Burnas
 - 9 Lootas
 - 3 Mekboyz
 - Converted Mega/Meka dread (not sure yet) from DV Hellbrute

I plan on pledging more once I figure out which projects I'd like to take on. I'll edit this post later with starting pics.

-Travis

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 05:15:49 PM »
Welcome to the party travisb7, just remember not to bite off more than you can chew, if you do you'll be paying for it in the Teef!  Don't say I didn't warn you.

Great work Respekt!  I dig your Lootas, they have a great character and the choice of Eldar, SM, and Necron bits was brilliant.  As for the bottom one I think the reasons why you feel its a little naff is because it lacks the almost organic cut up bits that the others have (that and it started out as an AoBR Big Shoota).  For Orks it works fine, but if you want to improve upon it I see two options, either you disassemble the EML from the top and fiddle with it, OR you just add some extra card and bits to give it that complicated look.  I would recommend the second of those two options because he isn't bad, it just doesn't look as if he fits in with the rest.

I love the look of the wings, can beat the flaps up a little to 'blend'  or they were just looted from a shiny new one and smashedinto place to replace the nonexisting ones left on the battlefield, lol either way those wings look really great.
Thanks for the input Boss Ard'Ragger, I think they'll definitely have to have a different paint style than the rest of the boat.  And because you and adamscurr have asked...
AoD...  What did you use to do all that pitting on the wings in you plasticard?
Hmm... should I really share my "secrets" of model building.  I don't know, I mean adamscurr one of my fellow bosses of the WotW did just confuse me with angel of death 007.  I'm just joshing, of course I'll tell.

The "secret" is not really a secret at all.  Well I suppose that's debatable.  When I'm detailing I only use one tool, an old Exacto blade which has a broken off tip.  Now I'm not advising anyone break off the tips of their blades as the tip is the sharpest and best part of the blade when it comes to precision cutting and detailing, but rather don't just chuck a blade when it breaks.  Using the blunted head it is easy to carve irregular patterns into card (the ease is relative I suppose).

Another thing to consider is that if you look closely (sorry it isn't a better photograph) the top armor is segmented in strange bits.  This is because that top is entirely comprised of off cuts of card that I've mushed together (another reason why you always save your scrap).  Some were already detailed and then cut off from other parts of card, but most are freshly converted for the project, and are cut up before gluing down.  This of course leads to many (and I mean many) accidental cuts on the fingers, so if you steal, I mean Loot, I mean use my technique be extremely careful as it is anything but safe.  I could actually take a pic of busted up finger to attest as proof, but I'm not going to waste space with that.

Projekt Update: 19.5 hours into projekt...

I both did and didn't get as much as I wanted finished in this space of time.  Simply put I had hoped to get further, but setbacks seem to constantly occur.  On the bright side the more I look at these photos the more I think to myself, "nah you're making good progress".  Anyway...

Here's my first couple reproductions of the Supa Shootas.  For it I "graduated" to the smaller and more delicate drill bit to make the holes.  I don't want to make another set of these.  Yes they look good enough, but very time intensive.  I stress that, Time Intensive!  Admittedly there's more detail that doesn't come out in the shot and I'll be pleased with them when they are mounted and painted, but at the moment I'm sick of them.

The Russ Trakks are nearly complete, all that's left is the large wheelhouse on the inside loop, and either another access panel or Side Sponson for the exterior side.  The Sponson would probably look best, but then there's the element of time and the lack of GW grey for it on hand.  The gear works are all aligned properly to one another and come close to where they are supposed to be on the real kit, but are unfortunately not completely accurate.  I spent a bit too much time working on that and decided to just get it to an approximate close enough.  After all my hope is that people don't spend too much time looking closely at part of the base and instead focus on the model the base is on.

Speaking of which...

I am really liking the pipe built much more than the standard body.  Quite a few changes have happened, for starters there's a thick wire in the exposed section of where the engine connects, a front airscoop as been attached, the main exhaust ports have been plopped on, and the beginnings of the cabin have taken place.  The Wings and glass canopy are just mocked on at the moment, the canopy itself will only be finalized after paint.  This piece however had the biggest setback of the project thus far (and hopefully the last one).
In the rear you may notice a chasm that's been cut out.  This is because I needed to get a notch for the rear wing.  I measured it out multiple times, and then when I went to cut I cut behind the line instead of directly on top.  As such there isn't enough room to cut another slot in, and this one is off center and leans slightly to the side.  It's very irksome and the only way to fix it would actually be to replace the entire bit (which would mean take everything apart and I'm not doing that).  Instead I'll do what I should have done in the first place and cut the tab off instead of creating a slot for the tab.

My apologies, just realized that a lot of this post is rambling.  Haven't been getting a lot of sleep (looks at work table) I wonder why?

Peace
~OD

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Orks and maybe a fotm ;)
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
OMG OD ....... teach me LOL. In all seriousness, those gun bits look just like the original, well done. 19.5 hours into the project, wow, I guess quality work takes time, thats for sure.

Lots of inspiration coming out of this thread! keep it coming.
Cheers,

Respekt

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
Od...  I noticed my mistake...  I had AoD on the brain... Was thinking about something else at the time...  I humbly appologize...  And to stroke your ego a little, I was going to say the supashootas look awesome...  Truely spot on!

Adam
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:59:54 PM by adamscurr »

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »
OMG OD ....... teach me LOL. In all seriousness, those gun bits look just like the original, well done. 19.5 hours into the project, wow, I guess quality work takes time, thats for sure.
For me experience is the best teacher, and in truth I think its the best teacher for everyone.  For every good konverzion I've done there is at minimum 2 bad ones.  I will admit that my work as been steadily improving, but setbacks are a continual thing that many times has lead me to scrap an entire project.  Sometimes though, just Sometimes mistakes can lead to great places and new ideas.  I won't be officially teaching anything, but if anyone has any questions ideas or input, I'm always up for a conversation.

Od...  I noticed my mistake...  I had AoD on the brain... Was thinking about something else at the time...  I humbly appologize...  And to stroke your ego a little, I was going to say the supashootas look awesome...  Truely spot on!
I figured as much, I was just razzing you a bit.  When I showed the girlfriend your response post she had a rather off color joke that I won't be posting in the forum, but I get the feeling that most people of the gutter mindset will have already thought of it.  Thanks.

Projekt Update: 26 hours in...
do
Well I wanted to wait off on updating as I think I've been far too frequent in doing so, but I can't resist doing so any longer.  Besides an hour here and there has lead to quite a deal of progress.

Dakka 2

The canopy work is finished, as well as the first 1/4 of plating.  It is of course still removable, but the way I constructed the cockpit I won't have to glue it in.  For a while I was toying with the idea of putting an actual pilot model in, but of course certain realities make that inadvisable (besides full enclosed canopies are like bowties, they're cool).  The rear vertical wing is attached (although not in the frame of the picture), and the mistaken groove chiziled out is mostly filled.

Onto Dakka 1,

Wings and side thrusters are all a go.  This bad boy has already fallen down quite a few times, but hasn't broken as of yet, which is incredibly gratifying.  After looking at some real aircraft though I am reconsidering my original plan for the other two supa shootas though.  My plan was scratching another 4 (all in the style that I've already done) and mounting in the front airscoop section, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about it.  The other possibility is one where the wings meet the engines (which would not only look cool, but add some extra stability), but then I'm unsure where to put the last set.  In a related whoopsie-daisy I realized that I forgot to detail the underside of the wings, not a major mistake, but it would have been far easier if I had remembered to do that before connecting it together.

Then there's the base of it,

At this point I believe I've spent far more time working on the base than any other part of the projekt and it's only 1 base (insert loud Homer Simpson catchphrase here).  Nevertheless I've never really highly detailed a base before, and there is nothing stopping me from making it a universal base for multiple flyers (especially the Warkopta aka Chinnork I've been wanting to build).

Anyway, the Russ track has been pitmarked and scratched up (although very little is visible to the camera lens, which ultimately means I need more, and inside is honeycombed with support beams for the central pillar that will be holding the flyer.  In retrospect its something I should have photographed, especially with the large amount of work that was necessary (at the same time after hearing a crack I wonder if I did enough).  On the visible exterior I added the physical tracks from the Leman Russ I have been saving (I'm not scratchbuilding that, but do lament it's use as I don't think I'll find another segmented track sprue), and have added a considerable rubble pile of sprue cutoffs.  There's also a hidden Nid spore terrain item in there, as my last several contributions to these events have been heavy Nid Fighters.  I'm also thinking about adding one or two more to cover up areas on the Track unit that I don't think are quite up to snuff (namely the lack of the shocks and the large drive wheel).  All in all I'm not sure if the base has more of a Deathskull feel or a Bad Moon Dreadmob feel.

Which leads me to the big general question that's been set ablaze in my head the past few days.  When it comes time to paint these jets, I don't think my general red will do it.  I was turned on yesterday to the DeffWing comic (I had never heard of it before and frankly I'm amazed at that, it's great work that I hope everybody gets a chance to look up and dig through), and while their jets were the distinctive Go Fasta red I noticed that there was quite a bit of Blood Axe lean that they had.  I also realized that fluffwise the skill, dedication, and more than the Average Orky taktics would make Blood Axes the most likely to be fighter aces.  So long story short (too late) should I go for a Blood Axe paint scheme?  To be honest I'm not sure what exactly that would entail other than garish out of place camo with an emphasis on Olive Drab and Khaki, which I might end up using to paint the Russ.  Still it is too early to think about.

Peace
~OD

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
OD, that dakka jet is looking pretty darn good, I am eagerly awaiting your final product.

Then here I go with more stuff done, I finished off the cultists that I previously posted, did a little trading to get more of the choppy ones, but still had to use 7 of the shooty ones as I didn't want to have multiple of the champions.

I did change my mind and instead of running two squads of diggas I made one big squad of 35  :o
I went for the coal miner look, lots and lots of washes with black ink over dark browns.

They are cool as they are a larger squad than grots and only cost one more point than grots, another cheep unit to add to the hoard. Of course a mean trick is that a chaos lord is fearless, and as I understand it a fearless hero passes on his ability to the squad he leads.  :D

Just as I was taking pictures the clouds closed in and I had to use the flash to show off the champion and his buds.

On the side here is a few of the robe wearing gun toters that look like ring wraiths

And of course more choppy Diggas

Then, just because I like him so much is a picture of Bat Mek who counts as the chaos lord, but fits the sorta theme of an ork leading umies into battle, thus the digga paint job on the former cultists who saw the light and became orks instead.  ;)

Now, to go and finish off those grots. Shouldn't take long, just an inking and basing left to go.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:56:31 PM by SKEETERGOD »