News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Should I always try and assault with DE  (Read 496 times)

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
Should I always try and assault with DE
« on: April 10, 2005, 01:18:09 PM »
  Should I always try and assault with DE against chaos or space marines
it was harry...

Offline JaedenKaal

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Archon, Kabal of the Black Contagion
Re: Should I always try and assault with DE
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 02:01:06 PM »
Well, that would depend on what units you are assaulting with.

Archon/Archite/Dracon/Dracite: always always always
Wyches: see above
Grotestques: see above
Mandrakes: Well, its all they're really good for, so if you take them, assault with them  Give them backup, though
Warriors: No.  Keep them in the Raiders (with the new rapid fire rules I see no reason to disembark.  ever.)
Jetbikes: Go for it.  Hope for good drugs, and assault something really far away.  Like a Devie squad.
Hellions: Yep
Talos: Duh
Scourges: No.

Dark Eldar are an assault oriented army.  This is a good thing, considering how fragile they are against enemy shooting.  Use your fastest assault units (hellions, reavers) to zoom ahead and engage enemy heavy weapons squads.  They're fairly hard to kill with heavy weapons (With their invulnerable save) and any shots against them are much preferable to shots against your raiders/ravagers.  With luck, enough will survive to assault those silly devies/havocs in the next turn, and in doing so will eliminate your opponent's heavy weapons for at least a few turns.  Use hit and run often, though only in your opponents turn (so you can charge again in your turn).

With his heavy weapons largely tied up, you can advance your raiders forward in a less-careful manner than you might otherwise do.  If you can't get as close as you like, I recommend using Night Shields to artificially increase the range for your opponent.  Once you get into assault with the units listed above, you're home free.  Use horrorfexes in the mean time to keep your opponent's squads right where they are (works less well against chaos, but most chaos units that are fearless are also combat oriented, they'll be moving towards you which is a good thing.)
Scream, mon-keigh!  Scream for your emperor!  He cannot hear your cries, cannot save you from eternal torment at the hands of my haemonculi!  Which reminds me...  I need new bedsheets...

Offline Oblivion

• RIP
Re: Should I always try and assault with DE
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 12:07:35 PM »
Just one exception: Warriors:

Depends, if you get the chance to rapid-fire I personally think you should take it. You will have a better chance of hitting your opponent=more pain, the number of shots/attacks is equal to assaulting, so is strength, so you will cause more damage. If you are planning on charging in a squad of wyches into said csm squad the same turn assaulting to help out the wyches instead might be the better idea. Plus sniper squads tend to have DLs so shooting also nets you two really powerfull armour-ignoring hits on 3+ instead of four weak ones at 4+ with a measly str and which doesn't ignore armor. Standing still and shooting those terminators with your DLs will give you more damage out of your sniper-squad most of the time, even if it means he gets the charge.

It is also situational, what you want to do is of course to set up a situation were your unit will be slaughterd in your opponents assault phase, not your own, so you can then shoot him with nearby units before he assaults you again. If 16 berserkers are in front of your sniper squad moving up and rapid-firing is probably wiser than charging, since his return attacks have a very good chance of causing more damage than your attacks, and since he will probably outnumer you, you can count on breaking. This makes assaulting stupid, since you will just lose one squad in your own assault phase, giving him at least 3" consolidation before his next turn, when he can go on to assault another nearby squad. If you move as close as possible and rapid-fire in this case you force his squad to charge you and probably kill you in his turn, giving you the chance to move up and fire with another squad next turn, this means it will take longer for him to sweep through your fire-base and gives you more shots to try to finish of the squad before you are completly over-run.

Notice that this tactic is for bad cc units in your fire-base like sniper warrior squads, getting assaulted on your refused flank for example, were there is no dedicated cc units that can charge into the threat (in which case assaulting with the warriors as well is the wiser thing to do). Otherwise you should almost always assault as per precious posts.