News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: NEW Dark Eldar models (PICS)  (Read 14110 times)

Offline Lizbeth

Re: NEW Dark Eldar models (PICS)
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 03:37:22 AM »
>> The prices aren't that big a deal to me
I suppose this prices aren't big deal to anyone who have a job. But it is just ridiculous. When they make horde unit all-in-metal and pricey as hell I feel myself being treated as dumb moneybag.

Also old edition beasties can easily pass as khymeraes.

Offline Alone in the dark

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 03:55:39 AM »
I suppose this prices aren't big deal to anyone who have a job. But it is just ridiculous. When they make horde unit all-in-metal and pricey as hell I feel myself being treated as dumb moneybag.

Also old edition beasties can easily pass as khymeraes.
I have a job, but don't like to throw my money away. I'm just not rich enough to do it, specially if you have too many other things in real life to take care of.
This prices for units of which you need so many models are a joke. I will have beast packs, but with Hellions as beastmasters and wargs as Khymerae, then try to make conversions even though I'm terribly bad at it. Still have to figure out how to make razorwing flocks though.... any ideas?

Offline Lizbeth

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 04:44:18 AM »
Still have to figure out how to make razorwing flocks though.... any ideas?
Some tyranid rippers and green stuff may be.
IIRC someone on this board uses third party publisher birds to represent RWF.

Offline The Fire Antz

• Archon in the making
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 06:20:30 AM »
So the 4 birds on 3 stands mounted on 1 base = 1 Flock right?

So if I'm running 4 Razorwing Flocks I will need to purchase 4 packs?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:22:59 AM by The Fire Antz »

Offline Alone in the dark

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2011, 06:34:20 AM »
So the 4 birds on 3 stands mounted on 1 base = 1 Flock right?

So if I'm running 4 Razorwing Flocks I will need to purchase 4 packs?

That's right. Cheap, ain't it?

Offline The Fire Antz

• Archon in the making
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2011, 06:56:50 AM »
Oooooo yeah....

Offline The Fire Antz

• Archon in the making
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 07:10:21 AM »
Anyway, I've ordered a box of 6 Wargs, should arrive next week. That's great value there! In the meantime I can look around for some bits to add onto them, like tenticles etc.

Hellions are gonna be used for my Beastmasters, the boards at least. I'll use Helliarch whip and Sybarite whip, but not sure about the 3rd BM......

Offline Lizbeth

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 07:17:52 AM »
>> I'll use Helliarch whip and Sybarite whip, but not sure about the 3rd BM......
Only one beastmaster per squad can have agoniser. GW model is using ago, but I doubt you want to sink points on one Ago attack. So you're free to use any ccw for beastmaster.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:34:36 AM by Lizbeth »

Offline The Fire Antz

• Archon in the making
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 07:35:41 AM »
>> I'll use Helliarch whip and Sybarite whip, but not sure about the 3rd BM......
Only one beastmaster per squad can have agoniser. GW model is using ago, but I doubt you want to sink 20 points on one Ago attack. So you're free to use any ccw for beastmaster.

Oh cool, thought they all had whips. That makes things alot easier.

Oh and no, I won't be wasting the 20 points with these guys   :)

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »
I suppose this prices aren't big deal to anyone who have a job.

I'm currently an unemployed student, and will be til July at the least. Buying these in small blocks makes it easy enough.

Offline Jehoel

• Insanity is the sanest choice
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:56 AM »
Disappointing. I wanted Scourges.  Liked their concept art in the codex. Very cool

Quoted for truth. Was really voting for those guys, but maybe we will get lucky during the next couple of months.

I like the new models. I would probably give the birds and the fiend a different paintjob, but thats a matter of taste.

I'm not a huge fan of the beastmaster himself. Appeared to have a cooler head in the codex.

I don't have a problem with metal models (some of my best work have been from metal models) and I absolutely suck at converting. But why didn't they make them plastic so you could buy the whole heard that much cheaper. But I guess I will have to give these guys a try. Dispite the abhorrent prices. I know its possible to field a single beastmaster with one of each beast but he probably wont be very effective in the field.

I think I will pick up a single beast at a time over an extended period of time to minimise the impact on my vallet. Kinda like: "A skull white, a new brush and oh yeah, a khymera".
Maybe that way it won't cause a finansiel crisis in my bankaccount. (And yes I have a job, but I work to hard to simply throw the greens away)

Please oh please let the scourges be plastic!!

Bahzhakhaim Zhai Dialcaman of the Biel-tan
___________________ ___________________ ____

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Offline Iridescente

• Sognando sotto l'arcobaleno
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
These are people playing WH40K.  I'm sure people can afford it if they really wanted to.  I think the general sentiment, however, is that GW made a stupid choice and is expecting people to just simply throw their money at them.  I'm not collecting DE, and I think the models look nice, but I would not pay over $150 for a single unit.  That's ridiculous.  There's a reason why I don't use Wraithguard in my Eldar army.
Just playing along,
Bourhgen

Offline Starstrider3

• You shall not escape the Starstriders!
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
Individually, I don't think the prices are too bad but for the amount of models you would need so the unit doesn't become an easy kill and can actually pack a decent punch in a game, yeah, then it becomes a joke.

Hmmm... I can't help but wonder if this is some manipulating tactic by GW to sell more LOTR models.

And the What's New Today post that goes along with it - what an insultingly obvious attempt to try and convince people to shell out for them. Oh well, at least some people at GW realise the prices are going to make them tricky to sell.

All that said though, the biggest disappointment for me is the lack of new Haemonculus model(s). With the old ones still up on the website, it doesn't look like they're going to be out anytime soon either. *sigh* I'm sure there were a couple of Haemonculi sculpts revealed a few years ago, what happened to them?
"There is no corner of the galaxy that has not felt the eagle-keen gaze of Alaitoc."
Elarique Swiftblade, Autarch of Alaitoc

The Dark City A Dark Eldar Dedicated Forum

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »
No one really needs to wait for Haemonculi. There are totally supreme models for the Warmachine Cryx. Just google 'cryx mind slaver' and 'cryx overlord'. They fit the codex art 90% and are very easy to paint.

I'm not collecting DE, and I think the models look nice, but I would not pay over $150 for a single unit.  That's ridiculous.  There's a reason why I don't use Wraithguard in my Eldar army.

I own a pewter-only Dwarf army so thats not really a big deal. Most of my units cost that much, but they are worth 2-3 times the points compared to the beasts. I agree with Starstrider, the individual prices for the beasts is not that bad, but it's the amount of models you need that makes it hilarious.

I earn good money, still i won't be getting these at those prices.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Archon Khiraq(danceman)

• The Devil in Pale Moonlight
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What's the matter? Don't you like clowns?
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »

They are. So are the new talos, chronos, venom, voidraven and razorwing.

No one really needs to wait for Haemonculi.

Unless you go to tournaments which demands GW minis of course. Or if they, like me, really are liking the direction GW are headed with the new line of minis.

Hmmm... I can't help but wonder if this is some manipulating tactic by GW to sell more LOTR models.

If it is I'd have to say it is probably the worst business strategy I've heard of in a long time. Not once did that thought occur to me. I am going to mix in Wyches as beastmasters with the beasts I want(Then use various bits like plastic wolves, nids and other models to create this unit). There are plenty of options out there.

Also, why are we acting as if expencive metal minis is a new thing? We have centigors for Beastmen, Blood Knights for VC and so on. It does not take much effort to buy other plastics and made your own units. Some army books/codics doesn't even have models for some units. Instead lamenting over what we should or should not have gotten let us perhaps look at what we can do instead. Implausible theories about GW being some evil bloodthirsty company is also something we can do without, don't you think? This kind of discussion seem to crop up at every GW release and seems it manages to suprise people every time.

Have we already forgotten the bloody awesome range so far? Very few have a perfect release, I'd even say no one have had this yet. Do we really want to zero down on a _single_ unit, especially a unit so easily represented by the most rudementry of convertions using other plastic sets. Perhaps we do, I dunno, but it seems like a waste of time and effort.

Cheers, D.
"The blade itself incites to acts of violence" - Homer.

Offline Starstrider3

• You shall not escape the Starstriders!
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »
No one really needs to wait for Haemonculi. There are totally supreme models for the Warmachine Cryx. Just google 'cryx mind slaver' and 'cryx overlord'. They fit the codex art 90% and are very easy to paint.

Good find! :) The cryx overlords are very similar to the haemonculi artwork and the background for them isn't much different either. Better prices than average GW products too. I'll have to check with my local store's manager if I can use them there first but if it's ok I'll be almost definately getting a set of 3. If I get fed up waiting for Wracks those mind slaves would be a good substitute too. Thanks a lot! ;) I assume they're the right sort of size? Would I need to get GW bases or are the ones they're supplied with ok?

They are. So are the new talos, chronos, venom, voidraven and razorwing.

No one really needs to wait for Haemonculi.

Unless you go to tournaments which demands GW minis of course. Or if they, like me, really are liking the direction GW are headed with the new line of minis.

New talos? really? Even with the old one still on the website? I gues it could be a combined Talos/Cronos kit. May I ask where you heard this information from as this sounds a lot like a third wave might be a lot closer than I thought.

Oh, and I'm not really a good enough gamer to consider going to tournaments yet. I do like the new DE models but I'm just not really prepared to wait for what could be another 8 months at least when there are good models very similar to the Haemonculi available already.

EDIT: As I thought would be the case, unless the models have a decnt amount of GW parts added, non-GW models are a strict no-no. Oh well. Out of curiosity, would a basic beastmaster with 3 Khymera be a viable unit or should there really be the full 5? What about just going with a Clawed Fiend? Sorry, I don't have much idea what makes up a half-decent BM unit.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:43:41 AM by Starstrider3 »
"There is no corner of the galaxy that has not felt the eagle-keen gaze of Alaitoc."
Elarique Swiftblade, Autarch of Alaitoc

The Dark City A Dark Eldar Dedicated Forum