News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'How To Be A Good Poster' For Dummies: Lesson 1  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
'How To Be A Good Poster' For Dummies: Lesson 1
« on: April 3, 2007, 09:06:38 PM »
'How To Be A Good Poster'
For Dummies

Welcome to ''How To Be A Good Poster' For Dummies'. Are you a clueless n00b? Perhaps you're experienced but only semi-literate and badly educated? Or maybe you're a good-natured doormat who's sick of being on the receiving end all the time? Well look no further. This series of lessons will help you, the slobbering moron, become a really great poster like me. These lessons will be released weekly, and each one will cover a different aspect of forum interaction. At the end of the 'semester', you will have increased confidence, a better capacity for facts, a better debating technique, and will be ready to earn the respect of everyone else on the forum (the hard way if need be).

So, without wasting any more time, on with the show.

LESSON 1: Attitude

Attitude is all-important, as it is for everything in life. Go into something with the wrong attitude, and you fail miserably. You need to train the mind before you train everything else.

The right attitude for Internet forums is really simple:

1. You are never wrong, in any sense, and your posts must reflect this.
2. Anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, in every sense, and should be told so.
3. Technique is more important than facts.
4. Never, ever, give in. Ever.

1) The first rule is all about self-belief. You're only wrong if you think you are! You must accept that you are absolutely and unquestionably right in all matters factual, practical, moral and philosophical. You must never fall prey to self-doubt, because then you're just fighting yourself. Your every post should be swimming in self-belief so that everyone can see it. Self-belief makes other people all the more likely to accept the truth of your words. Never ever doubt the absolute rightness of your own views and actions, no matter what 'evidence' other people falsely present against you. This is the most important rule by far. I want you to do something for me right now: I want you to type out 100 times "I AM ALWAYS RIGHT!" in capital letters, without cheating by using copy+paste. I want you to roar out each line as you type it, bellowing the words as loudly as possible, thumping your own chest like a gorilla on Angel Dust, letting the truth of it flow through you like an orgasm. Do it now! And when you are done, sit back and bask in the afterglow. Feels good, doesn't it? That afterglow will never fade, as long as you keep up an inpenetrable wall of self-belief!

2) You are always right, ergo, anyone who disagrees must be wrong. Not just wrong, but usually completely wrong in every aspect. Suppose someone questions your views on a subject. You must consider that this isn't just due to a 'factual' dispute (which they obviously have wrong anyway), but also because of that person's other underlying defects. Obviously, it is practically certain that they are stupid, if not literally retarded. It is also highly likely that they have a personal vendetta against you, or people like you. They probably have psychological reasons for disagreeing too. For example, people who are in favour of gun control are all pussies and cowards. People who are in favour of gun liberalization are all badly-endowed posers or sociopaths. You must think about these things, and point them out to help undermine the other person. It's the holistic approach to argument.

Remember: everyone who diagrees with you sucks, no exceptions. Don't waste time being charitable to them, they don't deserve it. They are bad for the Internet, wantonly spreading misinformation and bad habits. Show them no mercy. The best thing you can do for them is to tell them the truth. It is possible - barely, but just possible - that they might realize their faults and try to reform themselves, so you'd have done them a favour. After all, most are completely ignorant of their flaws. Behold:

- They think they are: Funny and light-hearted, with a snappy wit and good sense of humour. The forum joker.
- What they really are: A smartmouth, spamming up threads with crap jokes and insulting their betters, wasting everyone's time with their inability to have any kind of serious discussion.

- They think they are: Well-informed, logical, always civil, a reliable giver of information and corrector of mistakes.
- What they really are: A stuck-up Boy Snide's Outrageously Shiny Leather and PVC clad Soul Train. Robotic and entirely devoid of personality, their only joy is to use lots of long-words and spew out 'facts' to demonstrate their 'intellect' to everyone else.

- They think they are: The nice guy, the one that likes using the  :) smiley to make people feel good, and always takes care not to offend people.
- What they really are: One of three things: A smarmy ass-kisser desperate for the love denied to them in the real world; a Tremultuous O who's terrified of making someone angry, even if they live thousands of miles away; a sarcastic prick who thinks he's too subtle to be seen for what he is.

- They think they are: One of the lads. Just an average poster.
- What they really are: Ignorant, illiterate filth. These 'average' people are the TXT-talking, AOLiterate, trend-whore, meme-sucking brainless bulk of humanity, and they are the reason why humanity is such a huge pile of beslubbering amphetamine parrot.

As you can see, it's safe to assume that anyone with whom you have crossed words is begging to have their character insulted and to be verbally humiliated until they accept your truth. (Be sure to work within forum rules as much as is necessary - you don't want to get banned. I will explain the specifics of dealing with Moderators and forum rules in a later Lesson.) 

3) Technique, aka 'style', is king. People aren't convinced by facts, or else there wouldn't be billions of people trying to beg favours from invisible supernatural beings every day, or voting for tough-talking politicians who have all the intelligence and sagacity of a boiled potato. That's why you need to pick a style that reflects your truthiness, your absolute gut-instinct rightness that is without fault. The specifics of technique will be handled in a later Lesson - for now, just be aware that the style is paramount, and that everything else comes second. Get used to that idea, absorb it into your conciouness so that it becomes second nature.

4) Being right is often a plain old endurance contest. Remember: people who are wrong are also flawed, and a very common flaw is weakness and cowardice. People who are wrong will usually slink away from a thread never to return if you defeat them comprehensively. When people say things like "This argument is pointless" or "It's obvious you can't understand why you're wrong, so I'm leaving" or "You are a complete beslubbering waste of time, and couldn't even take a amphetamine parrot without an instruction manual, I am so much better than this", they are really just saying 'I give up, and now I'm running away'. Only of course, they don't have the guts to admit it openly. Which is really just another victory for you, another indication that you were right and are of superior character! Good for you! A win through endurance is one of the sweetest kinds, because it's all about that inner strength. And where does inner strength come from? That's right - attitude!

So there you have it - attitude's four key elements to successful Internet posting. They work well in real life too. To quickly re-cap: You = Right, They = Wrong, Style > Facts, and Giving Up = Loser. Endurance, self-belief and scorn for the terminally wrong are what it's all about. Keep this attitude firmly at the front of your mind and you won't go wrong.

I guarantee it!

Until the next Lesson, stay strong!

Offline Devern, The Unsung Hero

• I will slumber until called upon
  • Ancient
  • Look out Boys, I'm coming
Re: 'How To Be A Good Poster' For Dummies: Lesson 1
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2007, 10:00:40 PM »
beslubber. 
Just beslubber.
Quote from: Sheep
FMG is a Swiss army knife. Always a tool, but with so many functions. And he fits right in your pocket.
I cut a hole in your head, using it as a hump-hole.[/color]
We have some messed up people here..

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2007, 10:04:27 PM »
Um..I'm not sure I would totally agree with that Lom, seems more like a way to be a bad poster.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2007, 10:17:23 PM »
Hey KS, Captain Obvious for you, line 1.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: April 3, 2007, 10:31:46 PM »
I am always very bad at picking up sarcasm. My family is highly sarcastic, so my sarcasm sensors are fried.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: April 3, 2007, 10:34:40 PM »
That's the only reason we made you a Staff Member. Your body is litterally soaked in elemental sarcasm and thus soon, very soon, we Geezers are going to grind you up into a fine power and inhale you to rejuvenate our own weakening sarcasm systems.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: April 3, 2007, 10:40:25 PM »
Okay, Not at all creepy. I'll just back away slowly, back to the chaos boards.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #7 on: April 3, 2007, 10:55:30 PM »
It's not in the least bit sarcastic. I hope that many aspiring good posters will take these lessons in and become fine contributors to this site, especially in the Discussion Board, Rules forum, and any thread that touches on the topic of powergaming.

Offline Greenstuff

• Banned - Useless Petty Spammer
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: April 3, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »
Yes sir!
User Banned - break the rules and get chucked out.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 4, 2007, 02:13:12 AM »
I want you to type out 100 times "I AM ALWAYS RIGHT!" in capital letters, without cheating by using copy+paste.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT!

Ok, i cheated, playing fair is for the loosers... ::)
« Last Edit: April 4, 2007, 02:52:43 AM by Lonewolf »

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Karl Eller

• OMG Laserguns!, Colonel-Commissar
  • Ancient
  • This is madness?! THIS IS LINUX!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 4, 2007, 05:01:52 AM »
Okay, Not at all creepy. I'll just back away slowly, back to the chaos boards.
OK, seriously, you need to spend more time at the place with no name if you find that creepy.

Eller
"Explain how bad this turbulence will be"
"Oh god! Oh god! We're going to die"
"*over the intercom* Uh, this is your captain speaking, we're going to experience a few minor bumps, then uh... crash!"

Offline Kjata

« Reply #11 on: April 4, 2007, 05:16:25 AM »
I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! I AM ALW...

beslubber it, im done.

Does that make me a Tremultuous O?

Offline Ashman

• Fear of Bovines. | Cool title here until Devern thinks of something better
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: April 4, 2007, 06:49:46 AM »
No, it makes you a loser. Because you gave up. :P

I have to admit, I ashamedly admit to being the following a few times (in the past, of course):

- They think they are: Well-informed, logical, always civil, a reliable giver of information and corrector of mistakes.
- What they really are: A stuck-up Boy Snide's Outrageously Shiny Leather and PVC clad Soul Train. Robotic and entirely devoid of personality, their only joy is to use lots of long-words and spew out 'facts' to demonstrate their 'intellect' to everyone else.

Hooray for stuck-up Boy Snide's Outrageously Shiny Leather and PVC clad Soul Trains!

CM

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #13 on: April 4, 2007, 07:19:48 AM »
amphetamine parrot.
I feel like I've had my soul stripped bare.
I'm going to insert a smiley here, in an effort to be inoffensive. :)

amphetamine parrot.

Offline BladeWind

• Infinity Circuit, Iconic Wizard
  • ~BW~
« Reply #14 on: April 4, 2007, 08:36:03 AM »
amphetamine parrot.
I feel like I've had my soul stripped bare.
I'm going to insert a smiley here, in an effort to be inoffensive. :)

amphetamine parrot.
Your doing it wrong!
GTFO
:)

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
« Reply #15 on: April 4, 2007, 11:29:05 AM »
Well, 2 out of 4 isn't bad, right?

>.>

In other notes, you win my stash of Internets for this ^_^
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #16 on: April 4, 2007, 07:00:09 PM »
Ok, I think I've mastered that. Whens lesson 2?

Um, hold on...
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Tyranid_Wannabe

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Es ist ein schönes Schiff
« Reply #17 on: April 5, 2007, 06:09:34 AM »
Remember, one day smilies will replace words. So don't bad mouth them too much  ;D ;D
Heed my wisdom, ignore my ignorance