News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Can a boy play Necrons?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline elparker

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Can a boy play Necrons?
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2005, 04:33:20 PM »
Necrons are one of the best starting armies.  I started out with them about 1 1/2 years ago.  Their army list has some of the best units to get people used to all of the different special rules like deep strike and infiltrate.  The only problem I have had is that many people complain about the WBB rules too much for the game to stay fun.  I suggest flayed ones in addition to a boxed set or two.  Flayed ones are some of the most underrated units in the game.

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #21 on: September 1, 2005, 08:00:59 PM »
Hmm...you know, strangely enough I find my Necrons more difficult to play than my Orks, which is strange because I've been playing Necrons more than twice as long and I've been far more enthusiastic with them.  I figure that Necrons are one of the better starting armies, but not the best.  Space Marines I feel are more well-rounded and less prone to falling victim to their own weak points.  Necrons are by far the most resilient army(obviously), but that doesn't make them the most forgiving.  A beginning Necron player will want to avoid melee combat more than many armies, and will have to learn how to use all their units in a cohesive battle strategy.  It is true, however, that they should survive long enough in most battles for the new player to learn how each unit is best employed in time.

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #22 on: September 2, 2005, 09:52:52 AM »
Fox its the same with me when I play my DE. Ork and DE share one thing, get forward and into CC and all should go well, unless you do stupid things :)
Anyway......

Offline Sumilidon

• Operator! Give me the number for 911!
« Reply #23 on: September 4, 2005, 09:44:49 AM »
Be warned if starting him with Necrons, the possibilities are somewhat limited.  With some experience in playing he may dislike the somewhat cookie-cutter nature of his force, and wish for the variance that forced like Space Marines and Eldar posess.

Every man and his dog has a SM army, and tbh, rightfully so.  Games Workshop loves them more than anything, they will always recieve the most attention, and therefore always have the most varied equiptment that people can relate to.

For a starting army of a young boy, I would have to say a no to Necrons.  Fact is when his mind starts to race, he will probably begin to hate the lack of variance in Necrons.  "What do I want to get next?" will be hampered by simple lack of choice, and stupidly expensive units like Immortals and Pariahs.

Personally I would start him on something simple like Iron Warriors or the slightly more compex Tau.  Obviously not as easy to paint, but lets be honest, Necron warriors look very boringly similar, and both of those armies offer endless posibilities for expansion and diversity in the future.
I don't care what the question is, the answer is 42!

"No, no, no, Lisa. If adults don't like their jobs, they don't go on strike. They just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American Way" - Homer Simpson

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #24 on: September 4, 2005, 09:59:31 AM »
You know...after thinking about it, I'd have to agree with Sumi.  I mean, I started with Necrons, and was perfectly happy with them...but that was because I didn't know what it was like to collect any other army, and had nothing to compare them with.  I enjoyed them a lot for their tactics, afterall, when every unit is the same, tactics are a lot more clear cut.  However, for a new player who might be looking to have some fun with wargear and what not, Necrons can be surprisingly shallow.  I figure that the Space Marines really are the easiest, most forgiving race to play.  Each unit is very well rounded, and will perform well in most environments.  Necrons aren't out of the question, but unlike the Space Marines, your run of the mill Necron warrior will perform poorly when a more experienced Tyranid player forces them into close combat, or when deepstriking Terminators pop up on their flanks.  With the Necrons, you really have to integrate your effort, and make sure that your forces support eachother and remain coherent.  Being hard to kill isn't everything.

Offline Innocence proves nothing

• Chaos Scum
« Reply #25 on: September 4, 2005, 01:48:42 PM »
i think that necrons would be a good army to start with as I am starting with them now and they have resilient troops and some great choices like destroyers
et imperator diabolous daemonica exorcism