News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Roboknee's Ork Horde  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
Roboknee's Ork Horde
« on: February 3, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »
Hi all!

After about a year of playing I've finally gotten around to painting my first unit.

I started with a group of bad moon shoota boyz.  I figured I should start with a basic unit to learn some techniques and see what works for me before starting on more complex models.

The tutorial I got on painting directed me to paint a base coat, then a wash, then highlights and then details.  I think that worked well for the skin but not so much on the yellow shirts and helmets.  It does give them a grubby, dirty look I think orks should have instead of looking vibrant and clean but makes the yellow look a little uneven.

Anyway, thanks for reading.  Any tips, constructive criticism, and encouragement is always appreciated.  So, without further ado, Bad Moon Shoota Boyz:

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Roboknee's Ork Horde
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2017, 11:30:17 AM »
Hey man welcome to the project logs. Wow thats a great first unit! Far better than my first attempt I'll tell you that. The paint jobs are super clean, with all the details looking nice and distinct. I like the colors a lot too... I love Bad Moons.. . you just don't see enough of them these days.

If you are looking for a bit of a brighter, more even shade of yellow, give Averland Sunset a whirl. Its a brilliant paint... nice thick coverage thats really easy to work with. Serephim Sepia wash will knock down the brightness giving it a nice gritty look too.

Anyway great stuff man. Awesome looking first unit... and welcome to the Project Logs!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
Welcome to the project pages Roboknee!

For a first unit Robo, they look great! Orks are great minis to get into painting. You're right, they're very responsive to the Base, Wash, Layer/Drybrush approach to painting.

I think that you're done a great job. The colours look good. Yellow is by far and away the toughest colour to paint well IMHO. Your yellow looks good though. If you wanted to have it retain it's strong vibrancy, as Cav suggested, go for a Seraphim Sepia wash on the yellow bits instead of the, I'm guessing Agrax Earthshade, that you used. Sepia is just a little softer and more complimentary.

Otherwise, great stuff and a cracking start to your Plog!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
I agree with Cavalier and Looshkin your Boyz look brilliant. I really like the look of the yellow because, as you say, it has a dirty look that really suits the models. I also really like the look of their skin and the leather and cloth details.

I find the bronze details a bit too bright and I am unsure about what looks like white highlights on the left hand of the Ork holding two shoota's.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2017, 05:47:43 PM »
They're about a billion times better than my first models :) nicely done!

Looking forward to more :) orks are a great army to be building
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
Thank you for your kind words.  I guess I'm comparing myself to what I see other people posting in the projects blog.

Alienscar, I think those white highlights are metal spikes on the ork's glove.  The angle of the photo isn't great to make them out.

Looshkin, Those colors sound right.  The names of the paints are tough to remember sometimes.  I'll have to try the colors you and Cavelier suggest on the next unit.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
Your boyz are looking fantastic Roboknee. I'm really enjoying the colour scheme you choose. I'll second what Looshkin said about yellow being extremely difficult to work with and I'm very impressed with your execution. Only one problem, there's only eleven of them. All kidding aside, let's see some more pics of your army. I'd love to see some of your kans or Francis the Dread painted up. Probably my fault for posting so late on this topic, but better late than never.  ;)

Welcome to the project board, I'm super-excited to see what you're going to turn out next.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Dog.  Right now I'm working on another set of Shoota Boyz.  I'm trying a mix of brown and yellow to get a slightly darker yellow based on a friend's suggestion.  I still find it weird how paints work that adding white and black don't actually make colors lighter or darker.  If that works and the yellow looks better I'll start on Francis the Dread.

It's slow going, since I split my time between this, pen & paper RPGs, binging shows on Netflix, and huge time sink games on the PS4 like Fallout 4.  But they should be ready for my next battle with Wyddr in a couple weeks.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 12:07:01 AM »
Hi Again!

It took a while but I finally finished my second squad of boyz.  Didn't quite finish them for my last battle though.  Anyway, the advice about Seraphim Sepia for the wash was really great, thanks again.  It gives the yellow a slightly muddy look and doesn't leave blackish splotches.

Next up, I'm going to work on one of my warbikes since they're becoming a staple of my lists.  Should take less time than the boyz.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 06:56:04 AM »
Killer man! So stoked to see Bad Moons... always my absolute favorite of all the Ork Clans. Glad the Seraphim Sepia worked out for you too. Can't wait to see the Warbikers I'm sure they'll look great. Awesome to see an update again. Keep them coming not enough Ork players in the project logs!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »
Looking good Roboknee! Looks like I've got some competition.   ;)

I like how you've kept the colour scheme simple yet vibrant. There's nothing worse than trying to paint an ork army in fifty different colours.

Keep it up, you're really inspiring me to get off my butt and get back to the painting table.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »
Ooo nice :) what are you thinking for basing?

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »
Great progress Roboknee! I think that the second squad of Boyz has worked out really well. The finish seems much cleaner and with better contrast between the colours. I for one can't wait to see your Bikers when you finish them!

Really great work Roboknee, good to see your army taking shape.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
Thanks everybody, it means a lot.  All of you paint such wonderful models even if I don't say it in your threads.

@Ynneadwraith: You bring up a good question. I've never done basing before so I'm open to suggestions or links to any  good tutorials. It was actually something I was going to ask Wyddr about at our next battle.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »
I've never done basing before so I'm open to suggestions or links to any  good tutorials.

I would say to think about what type of terrain you normally fight battles over. If it's industrial, do something dark to match - Cav has myriad examples of bases that would fit either rubble type surroundings, or moon dust or something similar.

If you prefer a grassy type base, pretty much all the models in my thread have that type of base (With Orks and the like getting a more muddy base, Eldar and the like appearing a bit more lush). I even did a little tutorial which can be found here: Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Orc Giants - Celestine (Right at the bottom of the linked page)

If you fight over different boards, or kitchen tables, then search the internet and go for whatever floats your boat. If you find something that you like and don't know how to achieve the result, post a link on your thread and I'm sure one of us may be able to figure out a simple way to replicate the effect.

Anyway, great to see your progress and I hope you find something that works for your army's look.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:46:12 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »
Loosh's advice is spot on for basing :)

Personally, I'm really lazy with mine! I've got a bag of sand I pinched from a beach when I was ~13 (turns out it's Camber Sands, I found out because I googled where the gift shop is that gave me the bag it's in) with some small tufts of static grass.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »
Thanks Looshkin, that is really great advice.  It looks pretty simple too, i just need to get some glue, sand, and little grass tufts.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »
I would consider the grass tufts optional, myself (I'm even lazier than Ynneadwraith).

Tub of sand + PVA glue = decent looking rocky bases that take mere seconds to apply. Have a look at any of my Imperial Fists or Khornate units and you'll see how it works out. I've put static grass on my Tau stuff, and I don't think it adds that much (and also is a pain in the ass to use).

I've only ever based armies I'm taking to tournaments since that one time I would have won first place in a tourney only to get second place because my models weren't based. I do agree it makes the whole army look better. It just bores me and I hate doing it.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 02:39:22 AM »
Nice! Good to see some Orksiz here. Welcome!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »
Thanks Dread.

Got a Warbiker finished.  I wanted to work on one to see what worked before starting on the rest.  I think it turned out alright.  I might switch up the red, even though my bikes won't go as fast without it.  Anyway, here is Krash, Ork Warbiker.  He got that nickname because he is always the first Biker to go out from a failed Dangerous Terrain Tests because he's doing the un-Orky thing of keeping both hands on the handlebars.