News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Calamity's Astra Militarum Army Blog  (Read 28179 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Tangi's Storm Troopers
« Reply #80 on: January 5, 2016, 07:36:44 AM »
Thats great Tangi. My brother has 30 of them all nearly painted at this point. Just need highlights on their fatigues and they are done. Its a REALLY great kit, and its super easy to get just the special weapons you want cause FW sells them in little 5 man bundles of melta, flamer or plasma.

Thats fantastic news my friend can't wait to see what they are gonna look like. Any ideas on a color scheme?
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #81 on: January 5, 2016, 01:06:48 PM »
Thanks Cavalier.  :)

I'd love to see your brothers models, to get a feel of how they look once painted up.  As for a colour scheme...damn, I got nuthin!  :P

I would like it to look vaguely realistic though.  Not bright silly colours.  We can leave that to the marines.  ;)

Actually, in contrast to the black armoured Storm Troopers, I might go white or light grey.  But that would mean a white undercoat, and I've had bad luck in the past with white spray paint. :P

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #82 on: January 6, 2016, 07:18:32 AM »

Here's one from awhile back. We got the idea from the Red Shoulder brigade from Armored Troopers VOTOMS probably the grittiest, most fantastic mecha war anime's of all time. What a story... anyway

The rest of his troopers are dark grey though, the whole thing being painted to match our board, while our board's color scheme was set up to contrast strongly with my Eldar. I always like the idea that Guardsmen change their camo based on the environment where they are on campaign.

I've actually seen some fantastic hazardous enviro Guardsmen in White Dwarf... one was a dark ruddy red and others were dark sandy yellow. I've been working with Zendri dust primer from GW and absoltuley loving it! I don't know whats going on with their new primers, especially the colored ones but they last FOREVER. I'd definitley pick a color-scheme that matches an available primer from GW, Army Painter or some other brand that you like. Avoid the airbrush whenever possible!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #83 on: January 6, 2016, 11:18:41 AM »
That is beautiful!  And it's close to how I want my stormtroopers to look.  Thank you for sharing that pic as well as the advice.  :)

I'll have to have a real look around for the right scheme.  Because I really want those commissar models to stand out.

I'm also very aware though that we're five pages into this blog and I've yet to show anything really out there, like a paint job or conversion.  This should change very soon.  I started a new job but it's temporary, and once it's done I'll have my workstation set up and I'll be producing things on a daily basis. 

Offline Exarch Thomo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #84 on: January 6, 2016, 06:08:12 PM »
Just wanted to say that it's great to see a project like this progress, and I can't wait to see it continue.

As far as paint schemes go, sounds like what you're after is similar to what I had on my old guard army (back when the Cadians were first released in plastic).

I wanted something matte and (somewhat) realistic and ended up settling on a very dark grey fatigues with black armour. It looked pretty good, and was easy as to paint. From memory it was a Chaos black undercoat with a 50/50 Chaos Black and Codex Grey mix, highlighted to a 25/75  Chaos Black/Codex Grey mix. The armour was done with about a 85/15 Chaos Black/Codex Grey mix - enough to take the gloss out of the brushed on Chaos Black, and then edge highlights as appropriate. It was also quick and easy to paint, much to the annoyance of my mates at the time (there was a mini-tournament we had once with a 3 colour minimum rule - and I painted two Chimeras, a russ and two heavy weapons squads, start to finish, in about 30 minutes before the tournament started).

I'm only just now really getting back into the game, and am more into the collecting side at the moment. But once I've finished my Ork project off I've been eyeing off my old guard models, think I might give them a crack next - thanks for the inspiration.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #85 on: January 7, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »
@ Exarch Thomo

Thank you for the advice!  That is really helpful to me.  I think that it's not necessary to have an elaborate paint scheme, just an effect one.  And with many things, sometimes less is more.  Especially if I can produce them quickly!  This would also make the details of their lenses and other gear stand out a lot more.  I think red would be best but I'm open to any suggestions.

And I'm thrilled to hear that I've inspired you somewhat.  That makes me very happy, and I'll strive to keep this blog going frequently and to the best of my ability.  :)

In some other news, a very minor detail, but one little part on my sentinels was put on the wrong way around (the power box on the left with the searchlight attached to it).  It's basically upside down.  It's very insignificant, but the perfectionist in me is screaming 'you idiot!'  :P

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2016, 11:38:11 AM »
as for your stormtroopers... I'm not sure, but could you possibly have those broken uper leg plates as... well, broken upper leg plates? Already battle damaged stuff, because, you know, they're guard and they don't always get to be equipped with the new stuff. Having seen baatle and being shunted from one end of the conflict to another as the guard's 'elite', there might be a few who had not had proper resupply for their armour yet.
Or am I being silly now?

Anyway, don't be disheartened. We all make mistakes (hoo boy, do we all make mistakes), and that's something to learn from.

If all else fails (including the damaged armour idea), then practise the green stuff skills on them (if need be with someone from your local store) to see if you can fix it. If you're planning to not use them anyway because of the damage, all you can lose is some time. What you can gain is a ton of experience!

A few years back there was a conversion contest on another forum. Someone asked if I was to join in, and I said I couldn't do it, because I'd never done it before. So the guy said "if you never try, you'll never know. All the best sculpters here said that the fear of trying something is their biggest stumbling block". I tried, eventually built this Tervigon WIP (hope you can see it), and am still happy with the result even years later.
The guy who encouraged me then is dead now, so in his memory I'll encourage you to try out your greenstuff skills! Or, you know, just use them as elite guardsmen with no recent resupply.  ;)
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2016, 06:11:07 AM »
@ vonny

I suppose it could be battle damage, but I could probably never shake off the accusations that it was an accident rather than a deliberate style choice. :P

But greenstuff practice sounds good!  As you said, I have nothing to lose but time.  If I fix them I fix them.  If not...I can still practice painting on them.  And I'm sorry to hear your friend passed away too.

Also, some recent developments.  My old friend is returning to the game soon with a Mechanicus force (which means I will have to shelf my idea of eventually collecting them!  ;D) so the good news is I will be playing games again in a few months time!  :)

The...not exactly bad news but something to bare in mind news is...I initially said that I wanted my army as a hoard of faceless goons.  But the Skitarii are that too.  And I consider my force to be more on the 'light side' than the Skitarii.  And the rules of Hollywood say that good guys show their faces.  Should I continue with the forge world hazardous environment suits, or make them ordinary looking Cadians or something else?  I could justify it by saying that all the radiation the Mechanicus deploys making not wearing the hazardous gear impossible.  I kinda wish there were decent Tallarn models now.  :P

This is an example of how I put too much thought into stuff.  Anyway, I am now renaming this blog to Tangi's Militarum because it's moving beyond Storm Troopers now. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:16:14 AM by Skitarii Santa »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Re: Tangi's Astra Militarum
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2016, 07:49:12 AM »
@Vonny- That Tervigon is amazing Vonny! Holy crap do I love it. Aces as always and yes I'm sorry about your friend too.

@Tangi- Don't worry about that hollywood crap Tangi, these are guys are Hammers of the Emperor all that matters is their deeds on the battlefield! My brothers Bloodsucker Battalion is a faceless unit of death but their loyalty to the Emperor is unquestioned! Thats awesome that your friend is getting back into 40k, nothing worse than not being able to play. Yeah try not to over think things because you don't want to get stuck in planning phase of your army. I did that when I first got started with my Corsairs and I have loads of experimental units (like 20 Cold One Riders, 10 mangled counts-as Banshees, wrecked Razorwing and 4 busted Wave Serpents) that will most likely never see the light of day... and boy do I wish had that money back. I'd just move forward with the Forgeworld Cadians they are absolutely killer models that will turn heads at the gaming store. Carry on good sir!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Tangi's Astra Militarum
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »
I didn't realize that there was a link to that Tervigon!  And yes it is amazing!  :)

@ Cavalier

You make a lot of fair points there.  OK, Forgeworld Cadians it is then!

I'm looking to acquire them within the next few months.  In the meantime I'll try to fix those Stormtroopers and Sentinels.  This blog will probably be dormant for a little while but then it'll take off in a big way.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:24:20 AM by Skitarii Santa »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
Re: Calamity's Astra Militarum Army Blog
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2016, 03:02:26 PM »
I'd stay with the masks too. They might be more on the light side than your friend's skitarii, that doesn't mean they can't be faceless goons still. Don't change the concept of your army just because of 1 friend.

Good luck on those stormtroopers!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #91 on: February 1, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »
I'd stay with the masks too. They might be more on the light side than your friend's skitarii, that doesn't mean they can't be faceless goons still. Don't change the concept of your army just because of 1 friend.

Good luck on those stormtroopers!

A belated thank you for the well wishes.  :)

And just some small news about the army, I think I found a compromise between the 'faceless goons' and the 'good guys have individuality' concepts.  I looked at the Clone Troopers from Star Wars (yeah I know, prequels  :P), and although they all wear identical, face concealing armor, they also decorate this armor with customized markings:

Would something like this work for the Guard?  Is that within 40k's Imperial style? It might add a bit of variety to the otherwise plain uniforms.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #92 on: February 2, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »
Hey Tangi I can't see the picture that you have posted and when I copy the address I get "this webpage is not available"
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #93 on: February 2, 2016, 12:23:17 PM »
Hey Tangi I can't see the picture that you have posted and when I copy the address I get "this webpage is not available"

Huh, that's strange.  It seems to be fine on my end.  But I'll ask the mods to check it out.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #94 on: February 3, 2016, 10:51:24 AM »
Would something like this work for the Guard?  Is that within 40k's Imperial style? It might add a bit of variety to the otherwise plain uniforms.

Strange I can see the photo fine today. As for your question I don't really know enough about AM fluff to comment. Saying that I think that whatever works for you when painting your army is fine. It's funny though that the picture you have posted looks very bland. Don't know if it is the colour scheme or the way they have staged the photo but the whole thing still comes across as a bit plain
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #95 on: February 3, 2016, 01:23:07 PM »
The clone troopers have always looked pretty plain.  ;)

It was probably a bad example to use to be honest.  My idea was that their armor would be a black/dark grey (to match our LGS's board), but it be detailed in line art like the way the Clone Troopers are.  I would guess it would probably be white, or possibly blue or something.  I wish I could describe it better.  :P 

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #96 on: April 7, 2016, 05:45:25 PM »
As long as you don't add too many stripes, I think it would work. Keep in mind though that your models are relatively small, so one or two stripes per model is likely more than enough.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #97 on: June 8, 2016, 09:19:39 PM »
Hi guys!  Massive apologies for the lack of activity here.  I'm coming back with a vengeance though let me tell you!  The Guard I'm working on are on the way but to bid you all over in the meantime I'll show you my efforts with my AoS Bloodbound army.

Now, I wanted to have the complete models to show you.  But it wouldn't be like me to not have an issue to overcome.  I left the bases for 99% of the models with my friend who I went halvers with on the starter kit (he's got the stormcast).  And I've yet to retrieve them because he's since moved and I've yet to see his new apartment.  So, the army isn't exactly show worthy at the moment:

Who else but Calamity?  :P

But there is the Khorgorath at least:

Since I'm expanding beyond the Astra Militarum I think I'll need to rename this Blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #98 on: June 9, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »
Thats awesome Tangi. Once I get my Necrons and Dark Angels to a respectable level I'm totally gonna dive into AoS. I love the minis and the fluff really appeals to me much more than classic fantasy. Not to mention the minis are incredible! The Chaos factions are phenomenal looking... so well chosen on your part.

Whats shaking with the Guard? Interested to see what direction you are gonna take them

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »
Thats awesome Tangi. Once I get my Necrons and Dark Angels to a respectable level I'm totally gonna dive into AoS. I love the minis and the fluff really appeals to me much more than classic fantasy. Not to mention the minis are incredible! The Chaos factions are phenomenal looking... so well chosen on your part.

Whats shaking with the Guard? Interested to see what direction you are gonna take them

I would strongly recommend it! It's a good game to play, especially now that they've got a points system on the way.

Today I played my first game of AoS, and was soundly defeated.  But I learnt a lot; how to play, what my units are capabile of etc.  Also, my friend got a second starter set for a very low price and so he gave me the Khorne models for free!  Just like that my army has doubled in size!

As for the guard, they are coming.  I'm still deciding how to go about with the standard infantry but in truth, I want to go Armoured.  The guard should be tanks first infantry second, like real life ww2 era armies.  So I will be looking to build an emperors fist armoured company.