News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Arkion's Ultramarines Blog  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Arkion

Arkion's Ultramarines Blog
« on: March 13, 2008, 05:19:41 PM »
Hey all!

I've signed up for various 'post your progress' threads in the past, but I think I'm going to paint these buggers at my own pace.  That said, I like the idea of showing off and getting criticism/asspats along the way.  So, enjoy.

Why Ultramarines?
...Because some kid glued the Forge World shoulderpads to them before I bought 'em off Ebay, and damn if they didn't want to come off.  It forced me to learn to love the SMurfs.  I've found I enjoy how iconic they are, and their fanatical hate of the tyranids is something that's started popping up during games.  ("What're you shooting at?"  "I dunno, um... that guy has a lot of spiky bits.  Just like a tyranid! They're shooting at him!")

The Army Concept
Based off an army list found here, this is really a heavy weapons detachment.  I imagine it being a drop-ship force, designed primarily to eliminate enemy base camps, break down entrenchments, and otherwise sow havoc.  As such, I want them to have a gritty, mud-spattered 'veteran' look, with a minimum of yellow and plenty of mud.

These were my original test subject marines.

More to be added soon.

Offline Catachan Devil Sniper

• Bad Trader Nuff said - BANNED
  • SEIG ZEON!
    • Auzzie'z HQ (Gundam, 40K, tanks and airplane model builders talk and read about models)
Re: Arkion's Ultramarines Blog
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:36:36 PM »
I will have to say for Ultramarines, they do look like veterans and they look really good so far. I would suggest adding some purity seals or other stuff. But I cant wait to see more!
You can take over ANY goverment with the right amount of TNT!
Vin Diesel made a go cart that ran on the hopes and dreams of orphans, it goes fast

Armies: Zeonic Guard 'Zeon's Devils', 72nd Trench Rats, D-99, Night Lords 'Razors in the Night', Imperial Fists, Emperor's Dragons (SM), Tau

Owner of a 1990 Buick Riviera, 08 Kawaski Ninja 650R Motorcycle
GS for the Xbox 360 now is 10,135 pts

Offline Arkion

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »
Sweet, a response already!  Thanks!

I took these photos this afternoon of my Scouts and company Master (I refer to him as Captain Manning - yes, there's a joke in there somewhere).

Although the lighting was better in this photo overall...

...This photo gives a more realistic idea of what color he presents in real life.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:35:43 PM by Arkion »

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »
Very cool project.  The muddy knees on that sarg is a nice touch.

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline Arkion

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

WIP Aquilla lander.

Finished Aquilla lander, closeup.

Pics of 70% finished Devastators, and a WIP display board.

Offline Catachan Devil Sniper

• Bad Trader Nuff said - BANNED
  • SEIG ZEON!
    • Auzzie'z HQ (Gundam, 40K, tanks and airplane model builders talk and read about models)
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2008, 08:15:49 PM »
They look really worn out. For fluff, I would say they got lost in the desert or something. But very very nice.
You can take over ANY goverment with the right amount of TNT!
Vin Diesel made a go cart that ran on the hopes and dreams of orphans, it goes fast

Armies: Zeonic Guard 'Zeon's Devils', 72nd Trench Rats, D-99, Night Lords 'Razors in the Night', Imperial Fists, Emperor's Dragons (SM), Tau

Owner of a 1990 Buick Riviera, 08 Kawaski Ninja 650R Motorcycle
GS for the Xbox 360 now is 10,135 pts

Offline Von Lazuli

• What happened to my hat?!
« Reply #6 on: April 2, 2008, 09:55:03 PM »
It has been a while since I saw good looking Ultramarines. They always seem to have 'I just started 40k and painting' treatment. I like the white trim, it offsets the blue really nicely, although over doing it possibly risks making the models too bright, the dirt and wear really offsets that though. Nice models so far.

Laz
If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

Offline Arkion

« Reply #7 on: April 6, 2008, 03:06:00 AM »
It's finally nice enough to set up shop and paint on the porch, which is where I've been dying to be since oh, December.  Winters here suck.

I decided to intensify the 'lost in the desert' feeling on this Devastator Squad.  I took more pictures than this but, unfortunately, I misjudged my light source and some of those turned out awful.  This is what I could salvage with Photoshop.

I'd say, with a few details added (eyes, gun barrels drilled out, a couple of mould lines sanded off, etc.), that these are approaching Tabletop Quality.  I'd like for the rest of the army to look at least this good before I go back and make modifications (which, knowing me, I will :P).

« Last Edit: April 6, 2008, 03:07:37 AM by Arkion »

Offline Arkion

« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2008, 12:28:22 PM »
Is it threadomancy if you're a sporadic blogger? :P
NEW STUFF:
I had yesterday evening off, and a bit of insomnia.  So... No, I didn't paint this all last night, but I did put on some finishing touches and took pictures this morning =)

Rhino.  Now, I didn't assemble this (thank you ebay) but the original paint job was wretched, and its assembly was even worse.  There's a lot of greenstuffing and gap filler, which made this model a bit of a pain, but I think it's up to tabletop quality.

Closeup.

Tabletop quality marine.  Definitely has some flaws, but this guy represents the standard 'look' the other forty or so should have.  When I've got more done, he'll definitely be getting some shading and inkwash:

Rhino #2, still very WIP but approaching a good tabletop I think.

And now for something completely different!

Not that I'll own enough Tau to be playing Japanese Eldar any time soon, but I thought painting the bugger up would be fun.  Base is courtesy of Scibor's Monstrous Minis, and again I went for the 'grunge' look.

And a close up.

And a Fire Warrior.

All right, that's it for now!

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2008, 08:55:27 PM »
I never was fan of GW's posterboys the Ultramarines.
but your paintjob makes them interesting.
love the old (mark 1?) Rhino

those purityseals on the marine are those greenstuffed?
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Arkion

« Reply #10 on: June 9, 2008, 04:33:57 AM »
No, I think they're from a Black Templar Upgrade sprue I bought when I was all into them.  The leftovers have been a striking addition to the rest of the force.

I have however sculpted purity seals on other minis that I've yet to photograph.

As far as my painting process goes: Black undercoat, Ultramarines Blue overcoat, Black Ink Wash, drybrush Bleached Bone, Skull White highlights/touchups, Mordian blue shadows, Brown Ink Wash and then tons of fidgeting and fussing about. 

Offline O.I.C.

• Ork Skarboy
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 01:59:04 PM »

just read your project, found it while in serch of infor for my own ultramarine project. very inspiring and great pics. thanks

OIC

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
Wow arkion, this is the best use of the ultramarine color scheme I've seen! You should have a very nice looking army by the end of it. It's interesting what an improvement that doing-away with the yellow trim makes, I think the white is far superior and I love the heavy weathering. The exposed metal on the rhino is fantastic, was it drybrushing? I could never get a realistic scratch effect. I'm looking in particular at the right hull of that rhino.

Kudos on the old school rhino as well. :D
Chris

Offline Arkion

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, the exposed metal is pretty much all drybrushing.  I go Black > Ultramarines Blue (spray) > Metallic Blue (bought from a hardware store) > Blue Ink > Brown Ink > Chaos Black wash > Bleached Bone > Tau Sept Ochre > Ultramarines Blue > Bleached Bone > Scorched Brown > Bleached Bone again.  Or something like that.  The moral of the story is taht these things are never truly finished.

WIP Predator

Dreadnaught, 1 week ago.

Dreadnaught, today.  Needs a matte finish, but I can't find my spray can.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:50:14 AM by Arkion »

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 07:38:05 PM »
i like the work on the dreadnought is it a forgeworld one?
but is the head not to low?
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline evileyevirtue

• Tastes like chicken...
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
I must say, these models look great!  I love the fact that they don't look like they're right off the factory assembly line and have taken a beating.  It's a very gritty and drity 41st Millenium.
Friends don't let friends play Dark Eldar :)

Visit my BLOG!!!