News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 7 years have passed..  (Read 4125 times)

Offline ersatzkommando

• Back from the warp
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle (primary) Dabbling in CSM
7 years have passed..
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »
I am back after 7 years lost in the warp. :(
Dusting off my metal miniature SoB army and getting the digital new codex I've noticed that not much has happened apart from that I can atleast put sisters repentia in a rhino nowadays. Perhaps they are worth getting now?
Still no plastic miniatures is depressing but perhaps GW will get to it toward the end of 6th ed.

How should I expand from here?

I have 67 sisters with various bolters, specials and heavy weapons including sister superiors as well
14 seraphs
2 exorcists
1 celestine model
1 canoness model
1 rhino
1 chimera (originally intended for my witch hunter and retinue for back when it was witchhunters...)

Right now I'd rather build IG allies than buy more archaic sister miniatures simply because it's time GW updates sister miniature range!

Suggestions?

(Apart from that I consider starting another army, CSM, DE or 'Nids but that's for another forum section)

Yours Sincerely
/ersatzkommando

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Re: 7 years have passed..
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
IG are rumored to be the next 40k release so if you plan to start collecting them for allies I'd recommend holding off a month or so, at least on the codex.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »
Hey, I'm starting up a sisters army too (slowly).

I don't really have much in the way of experience with it or suggestions, but my impression is that the icon bearers are quite useful now in the new e-book, so you might want to pick up a few of those for your squads. Other than that, your list is basically what I have except with a few more sisters and a few less repressors (forge world rhino-like transport).

If you wanted a flyer, and the people around you are ok with forgeworld, there was one forgeworld flyer that the sisters can take as a heavy choice. I looked into it briefly, and it doesn't seem awful. Of course, allying IG is a perfectly legit option as well if you prefer the idea of inducted guard etc. And the valkyrie remains a bargain.

Other than allies, I'd look into more transports for your sisters I think. Immolators, rhinos, and/or repressors if you can do forgeworld. I'm not really convinced that they can function all that well if they have to trudge across the board on foot (although, again, I have way too little experience to make an informed argument there... just armchair generaling). Maybe find yourself a counter-assault squad of some sort, either via allies or by trying to play with some of the combat options in the sisters book, such as they are.

To be honest, I don't really expect GW to update the "archaic" sisters range anytime soon. Especially given that they've already had their book released, and it was done as an online only sort of supplement.  I don't really mind though, as I actually like the metal minis (pricing aside). And while they're old, I think they're a fairly solid range on the whole. Anyways - if I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for updates in plastic in the near future (but who knows).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:51:16 PM by starstrider »

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
For the most part that looks pretty solid. I'd say pick up a couple more transports as most of the sisters armies that I see do well are pretty transport heavy. It's very satisfying when an immolator and a sisters squad hits a unit with a bunch of flamers!
Also take a look at the inquisition codex, you can get your witch hunters inquisitor again and there are a few options in there which are quite interesting. The ability to take a Valkyrie can be a big benefit to a sisters army wi no real flyers.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline ersatzkommando

• Back from the warp
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle (primary) Dabbling in CSM
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:30:34 AM »
Thank you for responding  :)
In all honesty I do like the old miniatures as they are beautiful but l'd like to be able to vary their poses etc that multiplastic minis allow.

Yep I am going to get more rhinos and immolators next. As well as repentias.
About the IG allies, unless their structures change in the 6th ed codex is it correct that I can take 1-3 tanks as one heavy support choice?
That sounds too good to be true

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »
Thank you for responding  :)
In all honesty I do like the old miniatures as they are beautiful but l'd like to be able to vary their poses etc that multiplastic minis allow.

Yep I am going to get more rhinos and immolators next. As well as repentias.
About the IG allies, unless their structures change in the 6th ed codex is it correct that I can take 1-3 tanks as one heavy support choice?
That sounds too good to be true

That's right, but that's a lot of tanks that have to shoot at 1 target.  But in a sisters army with IG and Inq allies you can take a Russ, a Land Raider, and 2 flyers.

It is nuts.  You can really feel the power of the inquisition with all the allies and being able to take just about whatever.  You can actually take a battle conclave in a land raider so they can assault out of a transport!  Its sweet!
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 05:13:26 PM »
It is nuts.  You can really feel the power of the inquisition with all the allies and being able to take just about whatever.  You can actually take a battle conclave in a land raider so they can assault out of a transport!  Its sweet!

Although that's pure Inquisition right there.

Right now, the other use for Adepta Sororitas/IG mixes is that the new Priests are mini-Chaplains and mix very well into IG infantry blob squads. In the IG heavy support area, artillery (primarily Basilisks) or Hydras are probably the only things I'd consider for that slot in an ally. Hydras give some AA and Sisters don't have much long-touch anyway.

Taking planes for the fast attack is another option, but squadroned Vendettas tend to be overkill for anything and Exorcists tend to get the same job done for about the same price.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Colonel Twisting Shadow

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I was told to get a life; so I bought more figs...
  • Armies: What don't I play?
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »
For AM (no longer IG!) allies, a few quick points
-Tank squads-
Yes they fire at the same target, but they can draw line of sight THROUGH each other (within the squad).  Just saying.  If only there was some way to give them split fire though...like an order of some kind *glances at 'Tank Commander' in HQ section*

-Fodder-
160 ponts gets you 25 bodies, in three squads, with three auto cannons.  and can add all kinds of special/heavy weapon squad goodness.

-Jets-
Yes they have Valkyries.  they also have VENDETTAs.  That's the one you want, with the triple lascannon.  Also, they have access to Avenger Strike fighters (via forge world) in the heavy slot.  Very worth a look.

-Heavies-
Everyone thinks 'russ/hydra/basilisk.'  I know you guys have the low S, Hi AP shots on lockdown, but take a look-see at the wyvern.  two of those ought to soften up a squad really nice for a unit of sepharim.
Also, the Manticore.  It's like an exorcist on crack.

Inquisition allies too.
Ordo Malleus with Psycannon/Termi Armor/Daemonhammer are great to buff up squads
Henchmen squads have always been able to make the very best of shooty or assaulty squads....They were the hidden gold in the old GK codex.
TANKS! - 3x acolytes is a really cheap way to access a land raider, or valkyrie as a transport for your sisters.  Even a razorback?

Don't forget SMurfs.  Blood angels ally in with sisters really well (think of that whole descent of angels thing).
in general; Bikes and Landspeeders help out with mobility; and access to termies/centurions/devastators help out with the stand/shoot game.
Also, Landraider Redeemers.  That's got SoB written all over it.  Storm Ravens look the part too.

Don't forget lords of war!  Grab a storm lord!  20 sisters riding around in a bane blade spitting vulcan heavy bolter shells?  with 4 flamer sponsons?
Hey! I know!  Let's focus on building army lists, instead of silly custom titles and command structures, yeah?

From the days of the doctorines.
RIP-Goyder, Koonitz, and Jenkins.  Honour them.

Armies:
ORDER: Elysians 2k5, Armored battlegroup 2k5, Infantry Guard 2k, Dark Angles 4k5, Grey Knights 2k
DISORDER: Chaos 3k, Daemons 2k Dark Eldar 2k5, Nids 2k, Orks 2k5
I'm both proud and ashamed of those numbers...