News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 Sisters of Battle  (Read 1100 times)

Offline -Dark Fire-

• Previously Spear of Khaine
1000 Sisters of Battle
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:12:04 PM »
So, starting Sisters if Battle as my next army, as a break from eldar et al.

This list seems pretty 'tight', 6 vehicles will be hard for the enemy to deal with, got a nice covering of anti-tank and anti- personnel. Thought I'd make a list without Seraphim for the moment - move towards light vehicle spam instead.

At 1000 I'm a firm believer of more bodies on the table, and cheap HQs... so please don't recommend I get the standard flying Canoness...

HQ:

Canoness: w/ Book, Bolter (52)

w/ 5 Celestians: w/ 2x melta (158)
in/ Immolator: w/ Smoke, Ex. arm

TROOPS:

10 Battle Sisters: w/ H. Flamer, melta, (217)
VSS: w/ Book, c-flamer
in/ Rhino: w/ Smoke, Ex.arm

10 Battle Sisters: w/ H. Flamer, melta, (217)
VSS: w/ Book, c-flamer
in/ Rhino: w/ Smoke, Ex.arm

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Immolator: w/ Smoke, Ex. arm

Exorcist: w/ Dozer Blade (so I can park the Exorcist (141)
in terrain if needs be), Searchlight

Exorcist: w/ Dozer Blade, Searchlight (141)

32 Models, 6 Vehicles, 5 Faith

Thank you for any replies, Dark Fire
'There is no art more beautiful and diverse as the art of death.'

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline nefurimu

Re: 1000 Sisters of Battle
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:37:28 PM »
For a firm beleiver in boots on the ground, you're a little boot-light
If you drop an immolator and an exorcist, you can get another scoring unit that can cause far more damage. Though the spare immolator does draw fire from your HQ, and a selection of Exorcists can be handy in case one breaks.

Personally, I'd play with 6 troop squads, possibly even swtiching the immolator out on the HQ for more celestians (and a vetsup with combi of some sort)

But thats entirely personal preference. Seems like a solid list. But be careful, because empty immolators are fragile and expensive, and you only have 26 sets of boots in a thousand point toughness 3 army. Anyone with a squad of storm troopers, vespids, or 1k suns could probably ruin your day...

Offline objectionator

• High five!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »
I recommend that you give your canoness an eviscerator. Her squad will become an excellent assault unit (3+ invulnerable saves all around) that can actually kill and tarpit things that will kill your other troops. You can take advantage of the retinue rule to protect her from scary IC's while she can hit them back. You will need to free up 22 points though. I would start by getting rid of all your extra armor (which is not nearly as useful in 5th edition since penetrating hits don't auto-stun vehicles). I think you will have a hard time using all of your faith points if you don't have at least one good assault unit, like seraphim or eviscerator canoness plus retinue.

(Start at 999/1000 points, lose bolter on canoness, lose searchlight on exorcists, lose 4 extra armor on transports, this puts you at 1001/1000)

Offline nefurimu

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:19:51 PM »
oops, I meant I'd use 3 troop squads. But in other news:

I think the eviscerator on a cannoness is a little shaky. Even at 3+ hits in close combat, a small squad at toughness three is a tough sell for cc. And honestly, a power weapon/combimelta or power weapon/inferno pistol would probably be just as good, without loosing precious initiative.

That said, I usually find extra armor useful on troop transports, even in fifth. Being able to move can let your tank go behind cover after taking a hit. And considering SoB extra armor is only 5 pts, it's worth the 10-20 you'd spend on troop transports. Then again, with rhinos, you're likely to have a marine squad (sans powerfist) punch you and get an immobolized result. Not to mention the sudden demise against anything higher than strength 4. So it's a decision to be made, definately.

Offline Amaya

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 03:49:56 PM »
You're running 2 Excorcists at 1000?

That is messed up.

If you want more troops, drop one Excorcist and the empty Immolator.  Change the Canoness squad to the Canoness + 9 Celestians in a Rhino.
Fill in the remaining points with an extra BSS or Dominion squad.

And if you really want troops, Celestians are not the way to go.  They are too expensive for what they do.  (Even though they are more durable in CC than standard Sisters.)

Offline Spiney Norman

• Sleep is for the weak!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »
Give your canoness an eviscerator (master craft it if you have the pts), a jump pack and the cloak of St aspira, then use the points that were her retinue to buy another Rhino mounted troop squad or a unit of Seraphim.

One of the exorcists should go at this pts level really, esp if you have a multi-melting immolator, does your opponent only field tanks or something?
If you tickle us, do we not laugh?
If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you poison us, do we not die?
And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?

Offline Quasarcq

• Ork Boy
  • Lord Nautilus, Master of the Sea Stallions
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »
Just a few thoughts I had...

battle sister's rhinos need to keep their mobility so keep the extra armor. Its worth the points so you can close on the enemy and still deploy the girls and line up 2 or 3 template weapons. Battle sisters are about close range fire, that doesn't do you any good having a shaken vehicle. I have never had a game where the extra armor doesn't come into play. its just a must have for the way the army works on the table top.

it may be a little pricey, but have you thought of an evicerator/brazier combo for the canoness?

as for the celestians I would probably like to have 10 in a rhino. otherwise you are going to be rolling with a very small squad that isn't very resilient in CC or taking enemy fire after deploying.

to me there is no argument over mech and footslogging. If you try to run a squad on foot, even at 20 strong they will suffer if they are targeted at all, yay for T3... and getting good template lineups are near impossible if you are playing a good opponent. Those T3 girls need their rhinos. Seeing waves of sisters may look awesome but it really isn't much fun because their lack of range and maneuverability is all too apparent.

I would say drop one exo and get another rhino squad. If you are playing against anything hordish then 2 exorcists are not going to make much of a dent. better to get more template weapons. You would still have anti-horde and anti-tank fire power.

I was trying not to change too much of the theme of the list, so hope that helps and gives you a few ideas.