News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 62057 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2018, 10:17:17 PM »
I think some of your experience might be in bringing an army you're unfamiliar with to a tournament. It's often best to be very familiar with what you're playing, and what your opponents are playing. Iron Jaws got a boost in 2nd edition, as you can easily get +4 or more to charge distances with them, and you're a predominantly assault army. The boost shamans get too casting, is handy when trying to cast endless spells.

Overlords too I think are strong as well. Their navagators are one of the best dispelling units in the game, and they have awesome shooting. They are a finesse army, and you really need to pick your targets well. Enginriggers and rifle thunders are both fantastic units, as well as geared out company. The -1 to hit characters can be a thing, but you have enough shooting, that killing a 5 wound buffing character shouldn't be an issue. If you ally in a wizard, the soulsnare shackles could be handy in tying folks down.

Playing to the mission is critical, more so than in 40k. I really don't think you sound give up.

I also am not a superstitious dice person. I find it's easy to not notice hot dice when it doesn't matter, and focus on poor dice when it does. Just keep at it, and try to learn from the games you loose.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2018, 11:04:25 PM »
I 2nd KS. I have refused to play AoS until now. Haven't played yet but like the looks of 2nd. Plus I have my Nighthaunt now. Supposed to play soon but life keeps interfering. Keep at it, it'll pay off in the end plus your army looks way cool!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #222 on: August 1, 2018, 06:52:14 PM »
If you are really rolling below average, try a new batch of standard GW dice.

I think that there is something off about some of the dice GW manufacture. Mostly the ones with skulls carved into where the '1' should be. I just don't think they are very well balanced compared to other dice like chessex (which is what I use). GW dice do look great, but I try to avoid any of them that have the skulls carved into the '1', call me superstitious lol ;D. I have two sets of GW Maelstrom Dice and 3 sets of chessex dice. The chessex dice seem more balanced on average when I try to compare them, but keep in mind I'm no dice master... Just eye-balling it on occasion  ;).

Yeah funcky GW dice have balancing issues, some of them have straight up defects like the blood angels dice were bubbled (multiple sets), we have noticed standard GW dice tend to be OK.

Watch out for chessex dice, some sets have a bias (can be to either end), it got so bad they have been banned from my local group.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #223 on: August 1, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »

Yeah funcky GW dice have balancing issues, some of them have straight up defects like the blood angels dice were bubbled (multiple sets), we have noticed standard GW dice tend to be OK.

Watch out for chessex dice, some sets have a bias (can be to either end), it got so bad they have been banned from my local group.

Ah :-\, did not know that about the chessex dice. Maybe I'll look at some of the GW ones again then... Hmm, maybe the Idoneth and Daughters of Khaine dice aren't so bad? Definitely not saying that all GW dice are funky, but the one's that are noticeable are pretty noticeable. Haven't heard much about the Stormcast Dice, but the one review I've seen on the Nighthaunt dice aren't very positive :P.

@Calamity: Just curious, but can you share with us the Ironjawz list that you are using? I've actually scribbled down a few quick lists with them, just out of curiosity cause I think they're cool. Maybe some of us can give you a little advice on how to amp that list up ;D?
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #224 on: August 2, 2018, 08:21:05 AM »
Apologies for my last post guys.  Just venting, because it's so frustrating.  Funnily enough, my last game against rotbringers was much more to my liking.  Lasted 5 turns, came down to the wire and I put the hurt on my opponent too.  Only narrowly lost.  I can stomach this sort of game.  I wish they happened more often. 

You're not alone. I'm taking a break from 40k myself although we'll be playing some Kill team as soon as our books show up.

I keep failing required psychic tests and charges around 5-6". Not to mention all the Dark Eldar lists with 12+ command points countering my required stratagems I need to make certain things work (and then regenerating some back with the right warlord). I haven't gone first in about 20 games. A lot of which includes my opponent seizing the initiative. This is the biggest let down as I lose a few units and can't gain board control. On top of that the fun units and fluffy things aren't worth taking.

Very frustrating. Take a break and come back to it.

These are all serious issues with the game aren't they?  I haven't played 40k in a while but I hear that this is one of its biggest problem at present; cp spam. 

It is frustrating to say the least.

Yeah tourney players are a different breed, the game takes on a completely different feel when you find a group that focuses on fun rather than winning. Might be an idea to see if there is a narrative group in your area.

I would love that.  People who play for the game itself rather than winning.  There was one guy in a previous tournament who was a bit salty with me right up until turn 3 when the game swung around to him again.  Groaning and cursing under his breath whilst I tried to get through my shooting phases, and then declaring "right, my hero phase now" almost after I used every unit.  And not as a joke too.  I was smiling, but I wasn't really happy if you know what I mean.  He eventually mortal wounded my Overlords off the board, and it was obvious he just wanted to get that over and done with.

I think that there is something off about some of the dice GW manufacture. Mostly the ones with skulls carved into where the '1' should be. I just don't think they are very well balanced compared to other dice like chessex (which is what I use). GW dice do look great, but I try to avoid any of them that have the skulls carved into the '1', call me superstitious lol ;D. I have two sets of GW Maelstrom Dice and 3 sets of chessex dice. The chessex dice seem more balanced on average when I try to compare them, but keep in mind I'm no dice master... Just eye-balling it on occasion  ;).

@Calamity, sorry to here about your rough experiences in these tournaments. I second mage that maybe some narrative or open play groups might be just the thing to kick some fun back into your games!

It couldn't hurt right?  :)

I think some of your experience might be in bringing an army you're unfamiliar with to a tournament. It's often best to be very familiar with what you're playing, and what your opponents are playing. Iron Jaws got a boost in 2nd edition, as you can easily get +4 or more to charge distances with them, and you're a predominantly assault army. The boost shamans get too casting, is handy when trying to cast endless spells.

Overlords too I think are strong as well. Their navagators are one of the best dispelling units in the game, and they have awesome shooting. They are a finesse army, and you really need to pick your targets well. Enginriggers and rifle thunders are both fantastic units, as well as geared out company. The -1 to hit characters can be a thing, but you have enough shooting, that killing a 5 wound buffing character shouldn't be an issue. If you ally in a wizard, the soulsnare shackles could be handy in tying folks down.

Playing to the mission is critical, more so than in 40k. I really don't think you sound give up.

I also am not a superstitious dice person. I find it's easy to not notice hot dice when it doesn't matter, and focus on poor dice when it does. Just keep at it, and try to learn from the games you loose.

I will admit, I am still learning the ropes with regards to Ironjawz.  They're simple to play, but they do require everything to go well. 

I need good dice.  This is half my problem.  All your tactics mean nothing when everything fails to hit or go off and every save fails, even when it's 3+.  Half the reason I play as Barak Thyrng is for the rerolls.  That's how much I need them.

I had to make 8 3+ saves for my Mawcrusha.  I rolled 5 1s...and a 2.  This of course gutted it.  And this is typical too.  :P

I 2nd KS. I have refused to play AoS until now. Haven't played yet but like the looks of 2nd. Plus I have my Nighthaunt now. Supposed to play soon but life keeps interfering. Keep at it, it'll pay off in the end plus your army looks way cool!

Thanks.  :)

Ah :-\, did not know that about the chessex dice. Maybe I'll look at some of the GW ones again then... Hmm, maybe the Idoneth and Daughters of Khaine dice aren't so bad? Definitely not saying that all GW dice are funky, but the one's that are noticeable are pretty noticeable. Haven't heard much about the Stormcast Dice, but the one review I've seen on the Nighthaunt dice aren't very positive :P.

@Calamity: Just curious, but can you share with us the Ironjawz list that you are using? I've actually scribbled down a few quick lists with them, just out of curiosity cause I think they're cool. Maybe some of us can give you a little advice on how to amp that list up ;D?

I'd be glad too!  :) Here it is:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Megaboss with Choppa and Rip Toothed fist on Mawcrusha as General with Ironclad Command Trait and Ignax's Scales
Megaboss with Thermalrider Cloak
Weirdnob Shaman with Daubing Of Mork
Warchanter
10 Ardboyz with full command group, 7 pairs of choppas and smashas and 3 big choppas
10 Ardboyz with full command group, 7 pairs of choppas and smashas and 3 big choppas
5 Brutes with 1 gore choppa.
3 Gore Gruntas

Battalions:
Ironfist
Bloodtoofs

Endless Spells
Chronomatic Cogs

It's designed to get as much out of the running and charge bonuses they have as possible, with plenty of troops for objective taking.  The Mawcrusha Boss is in for a lot of attention, hence the insurance placed on him.  And the other one has the cloak to help him keep him up with the troops.  It's a little bit fluff, little bit crunch. 
« Last Edit: August 2, 2018, 08:26:31 AM by Calamity »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #225 on: August 2, 2018, 09:34:00 PM »
I'd be glad too!  :) Here it is:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Megaboss with Choppa and Rip Toothed fist on Mawcrusha as General with Ironclad Command Trait and Ignax's Scales
Megaboss with Thermalrider Cloak
Weirdnob Shaman with Daubing Of Mork
Warchanter
3 Gore Gruntas

Battalions:
Ironfist
Bloodtoofs

Endless Spells
Chronomatic Cogs

Hmm, I think the Ardboyz and the Gore Gruntas are probably the weak link in this list. From what I've tested, 10 Ardboyz isn't really enough for them to perform great. I like that they have 2 wounds and 4+ save which makes them tanky. Personally, I would try to take a configuration of like 20 for tar-pitting units, and have them all wielding Big Choppaz for that -1 Rend across the entire unit.

Gore Gruntas, their mobile, but not that great compared to a lot of other cavalry units I think. Which is probably what they must face a lot on the field if you're using them for flanking / objective grabbing. I think I would try to switch those out with something with a little more kick. Here is a list I scribbled up a little while ago and made some changes to make it work in the 2nd edition, also changed some things to better reflect your given list:

Allegiance: Ironjawz - Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha
- General
- Command Trait : Ironclad
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman
- Artefact : Daubing of Mork

UNITS
5 x Orruk Brutes
5 x Orruk Brutes
10 x Orruk Ardboys
10 x Orruk Ardboys
4 x Ironskull's Boyz

BEHEMOTHS

Aleguzzler Gargant
- Allies

Aleguzzler Gargant
- Allies

BATTALIONS

Ironfist
Bloodtoofs

ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs

You could drop the Ironskull's Boyz and the Ardboyz and add in more brutes instead, but I thought you still might want to use your Ardboyz ;). With the drop of the Gore Gruntas, War chanter, and Megaboss, you could fit in two allied Gargants, which in addition to your mega-boss on Maw-Crusha, will give your opponent much more huge threats to shoot at ;D. Plus they are all pretty good damage dealers, and I think Gargants are a fun unit too!

Also, that is a lot of points put into the battalions, is the extra charge threat more worth having another unit of Brutes / Ardboyz / Gore Gruntas / Gargant?

Also, buy some new dice and burn your current ones for the heretics they are ;D!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #226 on: August 3, 2018, 12:15:48 AM »

I don't like the size of the special dice, it makes it hard to roll a lot of them lol. T Plus they are twice the price of the normal set and have custom markings, when you are looking at lots of dice, having obvious numbers helps, but that might be because I'm old :)

I've been mainly in the 40k sphere so I haven't heard about them yet, most games I've seen played have been with standard dice.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #227 on: August 3, 2018, 07:41:39 AM »
For a competitive list, I'd highly discouraged Aleguzzler Gargants, they are pretty terrible lol. I think the strength of Iron Jaws, is bonuses to charge, and hordes of 'Ard boys. Cheap 2 wound models with 4+ saves are very good. Slam them out quick, bully your opponent into their deployment zone, and score all the objectives.

If you can hold the majority of objectives for three turns, your opponent cannot win afterwards, doesn't matter what they do.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #228 on: August 3, 2018, 08:42:54 PM »
For a competitive list, I'd highly discouraged Aleguzzler Gargants, they are pretty terrible lol. I think the strength of Iron Jaws, is bonuses to charge, and hordes of 'Ard boys. Cheap 2 wound models with 4+ saves are very good. Slam them out quick, bully your opponent into their deployment zone, and score all the objectives.

If you can hold the majority of objectives for three turns, your opponent cannot win afterwards, doesn't matter what they do.

Fair enough, good thing I never bought those Gargants ;D. But you would agree that the Ardboyz could use more bodies on them? I think two units of brutes is a good number of them. I would reinforce the Ardboyz by dropping some HQs and the Gore Gruntaz. But that's just my opinion (Also the opinion of someone who has not played AoS yet!). Take it with a grain of salt! ;D

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
Hey guys, just a really quick update and a question.  I took delivery of my ‘tactical arrows’ from Shapeways this weekend, meaning that my marines are finally going to get their other shoulder pad finished.  I can’t wait to start them!

But about their bases; I’ve decided to go for a grey ash wasteland effect that matches our usual board.  With hindsight I should have used the sector something bases but I couldn’t afford them at the time and well, that’s that. 

What’s the best way to do this?  Sand, painted up?  It’s been a very very long time since I did basing work.  ;D

I do apologise for the lack of activity.  It’s all down to work.  But I plan to take some time off very soon to get caught up on everything mini related.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
Gale force 9 has a grey ash flock, I used it for more of a lunar lanscape for Warzone models, but you could certainly apply it like an snow covering.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »

But about their bases; I’ve decided to go for a grey ash wasteland effect that matches our usual board.  With hindsight I should have used the sector something bases but I couldn’t afford them at the time and well, that’s that. 

What’s the best way to do this?  Sand, painted up?  It’s been a very very long time since I did basing work.  ;D

I think Cav outlined how he did his bases in his thread quite a while ago. It may take some searching, but I've always liked the aesthetic of his bases and they seem to match what you are trying to achieve.

Otherwise, I'd probably consider GW's Astrogranite or Astrogranite Debris, follow it with a wash of Nuln Oil and then drysbrush it back up to pick out the highlights using something like Administratum Grey.

Hope this helps.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2018, 03:55:28 PM »
Great suggestions guys, much obliged.  :)

Also, small but significant update, I’ve added the tactical arrows:

I’ve also brightened up their weapons:

And I painted the screen on the sergeant’s wrist:

But this is a bit pants and probably needs redone. But how’s the rest looking?  Any good?

Now to just do the bases and paint the sergeant’s head.  I need to check out how to paint dark flesh.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
They look great especially as a unit. The only minor thing is I think the items on the shoulder pads are too thick.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
They look great especially as a unit. The only minor thing is I think the items on the shoulder pads are too thick.

Is that the arrow and the lions head icons?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »
Is that the arrow and the lions head icons?

Yeah, when you get close it looks like the stick out past shoulder pad lip.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #236 on: August 23, 2018, 07:37:09 AM »
Now this is a Marine Chapter I can approve of. Lots of gold and white lions = WIN!!! Great stuff Tangi. Really dig the paint jobs. The shoulder pads look great, so nothing to worry about there. Colors, paint jobs and now icongraphy are all together and looking great! Can't wait to get Primaris stuff for my DA in the future. Keep it up bud this force is looking excellent!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2018, 04:29:19 AM »
Great work Cap. Speaking of the lions/Tac symbols...I think that if you can only tell that the symbol comes out past the lip of the shoulder pad, then you don't have anything to worry about. It's barely noticeable. I love how strong the white colours are for the symbols too...they really pop.

Great work Cap, I look forward to seeing how you go on to finish these models!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #238 on: September 2, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »
Again I want to thank you guys for the words of support and encouragement.  They’re really appreciated.  :)

Big announcement; I have finally gotten the basing materials I needed to start finishing models.  And after only a year and a half to boot!

The bases of the marines you will be expecting; urban debris.  That’s grey gravelly rock, which should contrast well with the golden armour.

The Overlords though, you might not have expected.  After checking out the pictures of Chamon in the core rulebook, I have tentatively decided to go for...red.  Bright, vivid red.  Like the surface of mars.  Because areas of Chamon are apparently like mars!

This red should contrast really well with the grey brass uniforms.  However, I’m not sure how it will look with grey rocks (admiral, navigator) and blue crystals.  Also, going off the citadel painting app, I got the ‘Martian Soil’ combo (Martian Ironcrust, Ryza Rust and Tyrant Skull) but I’m wondering if I should have stuck with the ‘Arid Martian Soil’ combo (Martian Ironearth and Khindleflame).  The latter looks more ‘tame’ and ‘sci fi’, while the former does look quite fantastic, being proper red.

Also, I haven’t forgotten the blue sand idea either.  What I’ll probably do is a test base of each idea before committing.  I’m hoping to start this week, but since I’m mad busy at the moment I’m not counting on it. :P

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #239 on: September 2, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »
Awesome news, Calamity, cannot wait to see these bases up and running. Also really like the shoulder pads for the Celestial Lions. They are a bit big, but I think it emphasizes the gothic flair that most Space Marines think are flashy in the 41st millennium ;D.