News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: DEATH WORLD  (Read 3105 times)

kademorton

DEATH WORLD
« on: March 25, 2002, 11:14:15 PM »
im getting a deathworld veterans army soon (a small one) so can anyone give me any ideas, insights into deathworld gaming etc?

Offline Delone

• I'm back
Re:DEATH WORLD
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2002, 07:32:55 AM »
Umm, what is 'Death World'??  ???

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
    • Grim Stalker's Imperial Guard
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2002, 07:44:01 AM »
see thats why delone be hating on the catachans

deathworld is where catachans live - catachan is the name of the planet and the planet is classified as a "death world". This cruel and harsh environment raised strong, tough jungle fighting soldiers - the catachans.

they basiaclly have their own codex: catachans and have their own special units - like booby trappers, demolition guys, deathworld snipers etc.

advice, infiltrator, i dont really have any advice. I wanted to start them, but then i didnt, cuz i fell in love with tanks. One piece of advice:

THEY ARE SOOO COOL!!!  :D

grim

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2002, 11:17:04 AM »
When more gaurd plastics come out I'm gonna be converting my present guard to a deathworld force and using the new ones as my reg guard troops.. but that hase't happend yet soo the only advice I can give ya is get some jungle terrain ready!

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
    • Grim Stalker's Imperial Guard
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2002, 11:24:59 AM »
but i have ONE question:

are deathworld any good on normal terrain - with no trees or jungle???

that would be whack, cause GW made all these cool special "only jungle terrain rules"

imagine risking it and taking your jungle boys to a toruney, where you dont know what the terrain will look like?

grim

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2002, 11:26:50 AM »
They are pritty screwed without a jungle or forest, they arnt a good turny army thats for sure

Offline miclantecuthli

• The Unpronouncable Man
  • Ancient
  • Forever in debt to your priceless advice
  • Armies: Empire (AoS), Chaos (AoS)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2002, 01:56:52 PM »
aren't there two sorts of deathworlds?

You have a jungle world, like Catachan and the planet of the Flesh Tearers. You also have a death world without any live, it would be cool if you could make a themed army about that, the last survivers of a huge army after a battle with to many nuclear, chemical and bio-weapons.
Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear And I'm floating around my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2002, 02:02:37 PM »
That is acctually the base for my leftovers ;D

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2002, 04:04:11 PM »
What kinds of people do you game with?  Are they the kind of guys who like to win every battle, or are they willing to give anything a try once or twice?  

I ask, because, in a jungle, you will have a decisive edge.  On the normal, nearly barren tables, that so many people use, you will be severely handicapped.  Make sure that a couple of your friends will be willing to fight on a jungle table once in awhile, and make sure that there is actually three or four areas of "jungle" on all normal game tables so you get some use out of your infiltrators and ambushers.  If your tactics are good, you can succeed in a normal battle with just a few areas of vegetation.  I have a cousin who does just that with his junglefighters.

Advice?  I have fought against them, and alongside them, but I have never commanded them.  I would take a couple of solid infantry platoons.  Arm some squads for close in work (meltagun/heavy flamer), and some for ranged work (plasmagun/missile launcher).    Arm your ambush teams for close in/anti infantry work or for close in/anti tank work.  Have a couple of teams kitted out for each of these roles, and run the teams in tandem so every squad has support nearby.  

Deathworlders are a "close in fighting" type army.  Specialize in that role.  Use lots of flamers.  With your enhanced Weapon Skill, your men will do better than the average guard in close combat.  The ability to field platoon leaders who can hold their own in HTh is also helpful.  Don't be afraid to get close!  

Conversely, you will lack long range firepower.  So...

Make sure there is plenty of terrain on the board.  Cityfights are good.  Jungle fights are better.  Use anything you can to arrange close range (12" or less) firefights where you have two or three squads-with flamers & heavy flamers- against one of theirs.  

You have to control the tempo of the battle and the location/situation of the firefights.  Perhaps some of the better Eldar players (those who actually know how to use Guardian Defender Squads) can suggest ways to do that.

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2002, 05:31:23 PM »
*Sits, stunned at the previous post*  SEE!!  He did it again!!  The master of tactics!!  

LASTRATI   ;D