News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Unbound Army Ideas?  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Unbound Army Ideas?
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
So I'm assuming you've all heard the news about the up and coming 7th ed. 'unbound armies' which throw the FOC chart out the window?

What ideas have you got?  Me personally, I'm seriously looking at armoured sentinel spam.  In large numbers I think they could be tough, painful and good back up for an armoured company list.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
Re: Unbound Army Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
I'm seriously looking at armoured sentinel spam.  In large numbers I think they could be tough, painful and good back up for an entire army of Rough Riders...

But then I'd have to convert the Sentinels to have 4 legs.

And maybe steal a couple of Defiler counts as.  ;D

I guess just anything that gives me the highest ratio of legs to models will be cool.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline ranger_scout

• For the Emperor and the Imperium!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 11:04:03 AM »
I think I am going to take my banblade a lot more now if vehicles are getting stronger and it is a very versatile tank.  I think it will be hard to predict good units as the rules are not set in stone.  But if assault after wining assult happens I think spam of any ig unti will be bad as Death Star units from unbound army lists will chop then next guys chop next unit...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
I guess just anything that gives me the highest ratio of legs to models will be cool.

;D

Nice way to put it!

I always wanted a way to get more sentinels into my army.  I didn't expect it to be this way but it's great non the less!

I'm thinking of taking twelve, backed up by an armoured fist platoon and some air support.  This should be good for small games.  Definitely getting some tech priests involved too.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »
But if assault after wining assult happens I think spam of any ig unti will be bad as Death Star units from unbound army lists will chop then next guys chop next unit...
Only if you leave your units sitting where the enemy can sweep into them.  This isn't a new rule, but a throw back to 3rd/4th.  What this will do is give you the chance to have throw away units being... well... thrown away.  A 10 man squad of Guardsmen put in front of that Death Star unit and wrapped around so they have very little movement options, while the rest of your forces nearby back away, usually winds up with them being s tuck in no mans land.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
True for the 10 man congo line but if you run big blobs or castle into a corner big losses as that army is quickly being collapsed as LD tests fail and guys run out of combat.  I do know it is not new but I started 4th so I have not experienced it.  I am just not looking forward to death stars (will be lots with unbound) moving from one squad, then the near by tank or other that squad then wash rinse repeat...

I am finding it hard to imagine what the new edition will be like for guard as I don't have enough info yet but the 24th I am going to be playing games and reading the book so I'll find out.  Strategies will change and so will game mechanics so I can't complain as it will change the game just got to learn how instead of complaining.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »
At most what they will probably do with sweeping into combat is that it will be like Fantasy in that a unit will only fight twice in a phase if it sweeps into a combat that hasn't been done yet.  Although what I suspect they will do will be similar to how it was in previous editions in that if you sweep into combat you can only fight in the next turn.

And remember, it isn't as bad as it was in 3rd edition where sweeping advance was 2D6.  All you need to do is make sure your throw away unit is 6.5" away from those that charged and you will not have to worry about them sweeping into combat.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 01:26:50 AM »
At most what they will probably do with sweeping into combat is that it will be like Fantasy in that a unit will only fight twice in a phase if it sweeps into a combat that hasn't been done yet.  Although what I suspect they will do will be similar to how it was in previous editions in that if you sweep into combat you can only fight in the next turn.

And remember, it isn't as bad as it was in 3rd edition where sweeping advance was 2D6.  All you need to do is make sure your throw away unit is 6.5" away from those that charged and you will not have to worry about them sweeping into combat.

Assuming Bullgryns survive getting into CC against a fire warrior line, they'll be able to slam into the next group. Tau supporting fire is now a decision that entails risk!
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline spunkybass

• Uh-oh, I'm starting a new army. Again.
    • Spunkybass Place 3.0
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Thousand Sons, Eldar, Ravenwing
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 04:49:40 AM »
Wow, I just realized that I can do an all-Rough Rider army now, perhaps supported by armored sentinels. That would be sweet, and probably lose most games too!  :D
Legio Malaysia member since 2008
Spunkybass Place 3.0

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:39 AM »
Good to hear abit more how that assult thing works it should be easy enough to move 6 inch + away. 

There are lots of things I want to try but depending on how d weapons get nerfed a shadow sword?  I hope this is the right banblade variant?  Could be a deathly option.  Same with unit combos unbound can still be good for us to just gota use our heads and be creative. 

Cc units may be abit more survivable now for us to as if they get in combat and win in player turn they can tuck into another assult and win in opponents turn preventing them from taking fire?

LoH how does supporting fire entail more risk?  From what I get just lets other units help you in over watch and with new possible rules of over watch being at conscript bs how will it not help?

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »
Wow, I just realized that I can do an all-Rough Rider army now, perhaps supported by armored sentinels. That would be sweet, and probably lose most games too!  :D

Now *that* is something I would like to try. A bit pricey though for me (given that I was using Cold One Knights for the mounts)
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 01:10:59 PM »
Is it now possible in an unbound army to take transports for units who normally can't take them?  Because if so I'm getting chimeras for those special weapon squads I always wanted to take but didn't.

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
You could take alot of "fun or fluffy" things with unbound IG, but after a few unbound trial runs there is a lot more ugly things with much more power with unbound formats in other armies or combos of armies.

I almost feel as if at this point I don't want to really play unbound armies as they can take all the strong units that break or stress the mechanics of the game to there advantage.  Like tons of physkers for Deamonlogy or lots of cool imperial heros bro squads or scoring drop pods with powerful units in them... or empty to force you to displace crappy pods to get objectives.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »
You could take alot of "fun or fluffy" things with unbound IG, but after a few unbound trial runs there is a lot more ugly things with much more power with unbound formats in other armies or combos of armies.

I almost feel as if at this point I don't want to really play unbound armies as they can take all the strong units that break or stress the mechanics of the game to there advantage.  Like tons of physkers for Deamonlogy or lots of cool imperial heros bro squads or scoring drop pods with powerful units in them... or empty to force you to displace crappy pods to get objectives.
It is just as possible to completely break Battle Forged lists as it is to break unbound lists.  A friend of mine is going to play one of his buddies in another town in the most broken way he can think of.  6 detachments of Eldar, each detachment consisting of 2 Farseers and 2 squads of 3 bikes.  That's 36 Warp charge dice before he even rolls the D6.  What is making that so broken is that he is taking Daemonology on all of them and is bringing along 5000pts of Daemons.  And with that many Warp Charges, he doesn't have to worry about the increase in perils.

So frankly, I don't think Unbound armies are going to be as nasty as people think.  You get more flexibility, but can be out scored by your opponents troops, and people can get just as stupid with Battle Forged as they can without.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »
Deamon powers are nasty!  I think they will be toned down or FAQ'ed  but I agree now after a few games battle forge is not so bad considering it to has ridiculous optuins.

Offline CO9220

• happy un-birthday to you all.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 05:58:35 PM »
Tanks! A whole list comprising leman russes, dog variants and hydras. it's like a dream come true not having to take something squishy.
badum-tch