News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Pimp Guard Vs. Tau  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Rliyen

• That blows righteous Mon-Keigh chunks under Heaven
Pimp Guard Vs. Tau
« on: July 15, 2002, 01:56:19 PM »
Me and my opponent played an 1850 point game of Recon (good ol' 40k Football).

I don't have the exact list but I will generally break it down this way

HQ: Colonel, Commissar, Standard Bearer.

HWS:  Anti Tank squad (3 Missile Launchers)
         Fire Support Squad (3 Heavy Bolters)
        2 Mortar Teams

Troops:  2 choices
             1 Lascannon per troop choice
             1 Plasma rifle per troop choice.
             1 flamer per troop choice
             1 Melta Gun in one troop choice

Elites:    Callidus Assassin
             StormTroopers with DWV upgrade
            Plasma Rifle, Sgt with Plasma pistol

Heavy Support:  Exterminator: Hull Lascannon 2 sponson HB (extra Armor)
                          LRBT:  Hull Lascannon (extra Armor)

Tau:

Now, I am woefully negligent with the Tau, but I have a rough idea of what he fielded.

HQ:

Commander in Crisis Suit (don't remember type) and Two bodyguard and two drones

Troops: 3 Fire warrior troops (2 in Devilfishes; One troop with drones)

Elite(?): 2 Stealth teams

Heavy Support:  2 Hammerheads (1 Ion Cannon and 1 Railgun) and Broadside (Railguns)

Layout:

My opponent lost the rolloff, so he had to place his HS first.  He laid out his Hammerhead behind some interspersing terrain.  I responded by putting out my Exterminator on the far right, behind terrain and with a clear side shot to it.  He then laid out his Broadside on top of a building in his left corner (my right).  I put my MBT behind a trench hulldown to support my majority of troops on the LEFT side (there were many buildings on the left in my DZ).  He then laid out his other hammerhead.  I then laid out a troop choice in the building with Lascannon directly in front of his previously placed HH.  He laid out three troop choices on the center and right (my left) and I placed out the remainder of my Troops on the center and Left in cover of buildings (cover saves are your friend!)  My ST supported the Exterminator on the far right and My HQ was in the far left corner, with enough range to support my IG firebase.  The AT squad sat up directly in front of the HH with the Ion Cannon.  My FSS went in the building center and the mortars were on center and left.

After all the armies were set, I did a Word In Your Ear and Placed his Broadside BEHIND THE BUILDING near the edge of the table.

Then, we rolled off and I got to go first.

Exterminator opened fire on the side of the HH and stunned it.  My Missile Launcher teams fired on his HH with the Railgun and Shook them up.  One Lascannon fired on one of the devilfishes and destroyed the burst cannon and the other Lascannon shook the other Devilfish.

From there, the rest of the game was a sniping match.  My opponent's biggest mistake was moving his HH forward INTO my firebase and he also had his army too spread out.  I had placed the Exterminator and the ST to draw fire (which they did perfectly).  He also charged forward with his Devilfishes as well to draw fire.  There isn't anything sadder than a devilfish dropping its men out in DOUBLE TAP Range of your troops.  On my turn, I fired my MBT at it, Blowing it to hell and killing three FW on top of that.  The rest of my troops wiped the rest of them out.  

His stealth suits worked only so much.  One unit was tied up firing at my stormtroopers (who had a 4+ cover save in woods  ;D GO DWVs!)  and the other were used to support the other advancing FWs.  Unfortunately, the MBT blew the crap out of them, too.  And I blew the crap out of the FW with mortar hits.

When my Callidus Assassin came on in Turn 4(dammit!) She popped up behind his HQ with Supporting Stealth team.  The Neural Shredder killed a gun drone and and two Stealth members.  I then engaged the HQ in HTH with the assassin on my turn.  I inflicted a wound on one of the bodyguards and then when his assault phase came up, I announced that the Callidus assassin was going to JUMP BACK.  I jumped back 4"!  That meant he could not consolidate the HQ into me!  Then, I would hit the HQ again with the shredder and then Assault them again! HUZZAH!

However, he tried assaulting the Assassin with the his Stealth team.  BIG MISTAKE.  She killed two of the warriors and they inflicted only one wound in return.  The Stealth team broke and ran away.

The next turn, I shredded the HQ (no damage) and assaulted.  I killed one bodyguard, but the Assassin died in the fight.  'Sokay. She more than paid for herself!

At the end of the game.  I lost both tanks (expected), Stormtroopers (expected), Two squads(One unexpected, damn morale! The other was wiped out after it charged with a meltagun to kill a devilfish...Paid for itself), AT squad, and one command section.

My opponent had only a half strength FW team, the Broadside, and His Crisis suits HQ (at half strength.)

He had about 500+ points left.

I had 1300+ points.

Needless to say, I won.

VIP award goes to:  The lone AT ML guy who, survived the odds and blew his HH (IC) away with a side shot.  The ML joy was short lived, however, He was shot to hell by the Stealth suits while he was dancing a jig on the ramparts.  3 failed cover saves did him in.

Worst performer:  The mortar teams.... I was off on guessing ranges and it kind of hurt me.  I'll give them another chance when i play on Thursday.

After the battle, I told the Tau player what he did wrong and gave him suggestions to improve his battle tactics.  His big problem was moving in with his HHs into the AT maw I had set up and he didn't have them behind cover, Hull down.  That first turn is what did him in. I had clear shots at all his tanks.  :-\

His next problem was rushing his APCs AT MY FRONT LINE! ???  The Tau are not known for their HTH role, why get them in DT range?  Granted, their BS is the same as ours, but DUDE, your range and strength of your Wpns are better than mine!  I told him to use that advantage whenever possible.  I also told him to prioritize his targets.  The first thing he should have gone after was my AT capability.  Once that was taken care of, he had little to fear with my army and he could move around with impunity.  Unfortunately, he didn't do that.  

In his defense, My opponent is a new player and I gave him suggestions on what to do during the battle (even allowing him to go back into a previous phase even though he went into the next one).  And for that, he really enjoys playing me.

And that's why I love 40k.

It's not the winning.... It's the teaching aspect I like.  I always like to help my opponent's improve on their tactics against me and others in general.

If I get beaten, that's perfectly fine.  At least I know that I had a hand in helping him get better with his army.  ;D

Space Marines Are For Pansies.

Real Men play Eldar

Offline Rhysk

• Begin the Litanies of Hatred!!!
    • My squatter page on the net
Re:Pimp Guard Vs. Tau
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 04:08:19 PM »
I agree, helping people learn to play the game better makes all the difference in the world. It becomes more than competition, it becomes enjoyable. And, if we don't teach the next generation of players, then we will have no one left to play someday.
"Victurus te Saluto!" (He who is about to win salutes you)

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 05:09:30 AM »
In his defense, My opponent is a new player and I gave him suggestions on what to do during the battle (even allowing him to go back into a previous phase even though he went into the next one).  And for that, he really enjoys playing me.

And that's why I love 40k.

It's not the winning.... It's the teaching aspect I like.  I always like to help my opponent's improve on their tactics against me and others in general.

If I get beaten, that's perfectly fine.  At least I know that I had a hand in helping him get better with his army.  ;D

Kudos.

You're a top bloke for doing that.  I try to do the same myself, but I rarely get to play against newbies these days.

I must admit though I was surprised when there was no mention of the Tau player trying to take out your LR variants with his Railgun...  Obvious newbie sign that.  Ah well, he'll learn  ;)

Offline Rliyen

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 12:29:38 PM »

Kudos.

You're a top bloke for doing that.  I try to do the same myself, but I rarely get to play against newbies these days.

I must admit though I was surprised when there was no mention of the Tau player trying to take out your LR variants with his Railgun...  Obvious newbie sign that.  Ah well, he'll learn  ;)

Well, I did get to go first and it would have been entirely different if he went first.  I had the tanks hull down, not saying that would have meant a whole lot.  And the first turn, the Railgun  HH was shaken.  My tanks were attacking from two different directions, and there was little he could do but to move forward.

He did fire the railgun into my troops and took a bunch of them out, even with cover, but you're right.  He should have shot at my LR MBT (which was nearby).  :-[

Real Men play Eldar

Offline Kal

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 06:04:07 PM »
Just out of interest, what regiment do you field???

Offline Rliyen

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2002, 01:31:41 AM »

Just out of interest, what regiment do you field???

This army is a wink and a nod to COBRA from GI JOE, so it doesn't EXACTLY fit with the WH40k flavor.  The majority of my models fit into the COBRA hierarchy.  I have Serpentor, Cobra Commander, the Dreadnoks, etc.  

I just have a soft spot for bad guys.  ;D

My normal DWV army is Lost Hope XXIII Solid Snakes.  I know, not terribly original, but I liked it.

Real Men play Eldar