News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Alternative Harliquin schemes?  (Read 1718 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Alternative Harliquin schemes?
« on: September 8, 2017, 01:04:35 AM »
Has any one painted up any of the alternative Harlie scheme, there are a few in the old codex that don't have tiny diamonds, like "Frozen stars" for example.

If you've done Silent shroud, with those almost digital camo style diamond rising from the feet, man show that off :)
« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 01:07:59 AM by magenb »

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
Re: Alternative Harliquin schemes?
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
Harlequins are a painters dream, and there are sooooo many ways to paint them.  I painted a set years ago, but I was unadventurous and simply copied the GW scheme.

One very interesting idea that I heard many moons ago on this very forum was to paint a troupe of ten harlequins.  Seven of these would have each be painted primarily with one of the seven primary colours.  The shadowseer would be painted white, the death-jester black and the troupe-master some crazy mix of all colours.  Note that this was way back in 4th edition, so the make-up of the squad may now be different, but I'm not a gamer anymore :D.

Beyond that, you could try using techniques such as wet blending or marbling.  What about a scheme that begins with black at the feet and works its way to red or blue towards the head?  If you have an air-brush, this can really help with these techniques.

One good bit of advice that I can offer is that the masks look awesome if painted in a very striking colour.  If you use fairly dark colours for your holo-suits, the masks will pop out if painted white.  You could even try a metallic finish.

The sky is the limit!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
I would point you in the direction of the thread that has my Harlies painted up, but all of the pictures are hosted on Photobucket, and I guess you have to pay now to share hosted images.  Considering how poorly the website works now, it isn't worth the effort.

But how I painted my clowns was that the basic Troupes were painted in a quartered red / black colour scheme with blue accent colours on the knee / shoulder pads and trailing ribbons.  The characters have the same colour palate, but were painted with red and blue diamond patterns to help distinguish them from the rest of the troupes.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2017, 10:42:23 PM »
I painted mine like in the colours of the Masque of Midnight Sorrow, but I'm a sucker for checkers.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »
I've got to be honest I'm pretty interested in seeing Alternative Harlie paint schemes as well.
I originally did mine in a black and white with alternating spot colours which worked well on the Infantry but less so on the Vehicles. Have been thinking about going back and doing a new Harlie army but ideally one where I can get some use out of the Airbrush and hopefully teach myself some new techniques!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »
I originally did mine in a black and white with alternating spot colours which worked well on the Infantry but less so on the Vehicles.

Have a look for "harlequin Frozen stars", its basically a black and white scheme. If you flip google over to image search someone did a fading net of diamonds on their bikes and skimmers. Looks like something you could do with an airbrush with out having to redo the entire collection :)