News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sisters of Battle in 8th edition?  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Sisters of Battle in 8th edition?
« on: October 24, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
So whos out there fighting like girls still?

Just as importantly what do you think of the current army list that we are probably sticking with for years.

Acts of faith, simple and useful. Maybe a bit too simple but they vary wildly from edition to edition I'm prepared to take it as I go.
Sprinkling Imagifiers around is going to be a key tactic I think.

Celestine, top tier but needs command points to make sure she never dies. Shes almost essential to push Seraphim into being a useful unit.

Seraphim now struggle to deep strike attack as the min range of deployment is far greater than their special weapons. At least they're not expensive.

The sisters themselves seem more or less as they were. Reasonable if not outstanding infantry... the cannoness offering a useful if standard area buff effect.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Sisters of Battle in 8th edition?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
Frankie from Frontline Gaming is CRUSHING dudes with his Sisters. Pretty sure he has some good bat-reps on their Youtube channel.

Warhammer 40k Battle Report: NEW Astra Militarum vs. Sisters of Battle! -

Warhammer 40k Video Battle Report: Space Marines vs Sisters - YouTube

They are a great army IMO. Celestine + Seraphim are magic. Meanwhile the regular sisters and their tanks are just killer. I highly rate Sisters.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »
Sisters of battle are fantastic, mostly because the acts of faith are very very strong.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:06:31 PM »
Sisters of battle are fantastic, mostly because the acts of faith are very very strong.

I dunno, in 4th edition I could assault and kill wrathlords in hand to hand combat.

Very surprised wrathlords.  ;D

Post Merge: October 24, 2017, 07:25:30 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Frankie from Frontline Gaming is CRUSHING dudes with his Sisters. Pretty sure he has some good bat-reps on their Youtube channel.

Interesting, repressor crutch from forgeworld needed for his Dominion drive by attacks though!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:25:30 PM by Hymirl »
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:57:04 PM »
You still can kill wraithlords in combat. Anything can wound anything.   :)

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
Well a test game with pure sisters verus IG and here is the feedback.

Celestine, obviously awesome.

Cannoness, useful-ish sticking with a cheaper shooting support role.
Imagifiers, pretty important so pay the money.

Basic girls, doing as good a job as always. Suffer from being fairly expensive units with no leadership manipulation option. Better as small popcorn units than big blocks, more of the good stuff that way.
Running about with multimeltas now a fun thing.
Rhinos are great obviously.

Dominions the best thing since sliced bread. Take lots, play aggressively in an immolator.
Burny immolators, the second best thing since sliced bread. Advancing and burning is hilarious.

Retributors, great. Mine fired their heavy bolters twice a turn, every turn. And mowed down so many guardsmen. The cannoness and an imagifier cheerleading obviously helped a lot.

Excorcists? Rubbish. Just go sit on the shelf until future notice. No change in unreliability but far too expensive to bother with.

Seraphim? Not fielded this time. Binning exorcists should make space for them next time though!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
G'day Hymiri!
While trying to learn how to wield the Nids My mate, Briant, Routed them a week or so ago. They're like Eldar with their toughness 3, however, their vehicles/the saint and their bag of tricks make them a force to be reconned with... Be well!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »
Plastic Sisters are supposedly coming March 2018 according to a recent con appearance by either Chambers or Thorpe.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 06:07:52 PM »
If so, I will be excited. I've actually been sitting on a box of sisters I bought for $40 USD about 10 years ago, and now goes for like $80. Maybe if the prices come down, and there's a wider range of models available, it will be time to really give them a shot...
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Draggo Blacksun

• The never ending crusade will, umm.... Never End!
  • Armies: Black Templar 6000+ pts, Soon SOB 1500 pts
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 05:03:06 AM »
What can I say, but 8th ed Sisters rock. The Sisters of Battle have always been a short ranged army with its reliance on faith and unit combos to win battles. In 8th the pattern has stayed the same, but the rules have really favoured them in this edition. Flamers most of all (the removal of flamer templates is still a sore point with me, but that's a different matter)

Saint Celestine and her gemini twins, are expensive... But Dammmmn!!!, worth every single point. (I'm not kidding, she has won me matches, and has turn absolute kerb stomps of my army by my opponents into only tight loses. Only recently in a 4 way battle of HQ's only, She wiped the floor with a Coldstar battle suit Tau Commander, a Cataphractii Armored Space Marine captain and old Abby himself)

Exorcist: once again expensive, but if you want long range fire support. Its your only option. besides the possibility of throwing down 18 wounds in one volley is hard to ignore

Immolators: Now this is tricky. It depends on the load out. As stock I cant praise them enough. With the heavy bolter option, still not to bad as it gives you some range. but the multi melta package... well... I would say almost too expensive. I still field one.

Penitent Engines: Another unit that's worth its weight in points, until the enemy realises what it can do then they'll target it. So it goes from a nasty surprise to a bullet magnet. (had one get charged by a swarm of genestealers 20, 3 turns later it walked over their corpses LIKE A BOSS)

Battle Sisters: they have always been the back bone of this army, but now with the new acts of faith they have been reinforced with some steel.

Repentia: have not been able to see if they are any good, apart from being bullet magnets. they were shot to pieces in the match I fielded them in before they could really do anything.

Saraphims: I hate to say this as they are one of my favourite units, but in 8th. They seem to lack a little of the punch they use to have. The acts of faith system does not help them greatly like it did in previous versions.

Celestians, Dominions and Retributors: I cannot comment on as I haven't fielded any ... Yet

Special characters
Imagifier: necessity... no joking, they are expensive. but if you want an army to work... well!
Hospitaller: luxury..the points cost versus their ability, difficult to choose. I would say yes if their bubble was bigger.
Diologus: why bother.. no really. I could see them being useful if you take large sqds. but thats it
For Sigismund, Dorn and..... FOR THE EMPEROR!
8th ed record
                                W / D / L
Black Templars         1 / 1  / 3
Sisters of Battle          2 / 0 / 1

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »
Draggo! Good to see you still around and still playing Sisters of Battle! You've been burning the Emperor's enemies about as long as I have!!

Pretty much agree with most of what you're saying here.

Saraphims: I hate to say this as they are one of my favourite units, but in 8th. They seem to lack a little of the punch they use to have. The acts of faith system does not help them greatly like it did in previous versions.

Celestians, Dominions and Retributors: I cannot comment on as I haven't fielded any ... Yet

Agreed that seraphim have taken a big hit in power. But they are cheaper. What adbantage i found they bring is that they are very fast... with transport vehicles needing to disembark before movement they add a lot of mobile firepower.

Dominions, the scout move is better than ever because you use it to push immolators up into range. They can get flaming on turn one!

If you back that up with Celestine and some seraphim using the free move act of faith you can make a huge alpha strike... getting those units into effective range  quicker.

But I'm  not sure I can bring myself to love the Excorcist anymore. Shooting twice with retributors is just too good sending 24 heavy bolter shots downrange every turn. They killed a leman russ!

Post Merge: November 29, 2017, 08:51:14 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

G'day Hymiri!
While trying to learn how to wield the Nids My mate, Briant, Routed them a week or so ago. They're like Eldar with their toughness 3, however, their vehicles/the saint and their bag of tricks make them a force to be reconned with... Be well!

Yes, they've always had elements of eldar playstyle than space marines as they don't get the resilience and have to play with their bag of tricks to get the best out of them.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:51:15 PM by Hymirl »