News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,000 Pt Daemonhunters w/Guard - First DH army  (Read 805 times)

Offline Spherik

1,000 Pt Daemonhunters w/Guard - First DH army
« on: August 26, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
So this is my 2nd army - finally got bored of my Tau for the moment and decided to try an imperium force. Since most players at my local shop play Marines, and a full guard army is too expensive, I decided on Daemonhunters. Below is a 1,000 pt list I came up with in order to plan my future purchases.

HQ:
Inquisitor Lord
 w/ Psycannon
3 Warriors
2 Heavy Bolters
1 Plasma Cannon
2 Sages

HQ Total: 190

Elites:
Callidus Assassin

Inquisitor
Psycannon
3 Warriors
3 Heavy Bolters
1 Sage
Elite Total: 255

Troops:
5 Grey Knights
Justicar

4 Grey Knights
Justicar

Inducted Guard Platoon
Platoon Command Squad - JO -
Squad 1 -
Lascannon
Plasma Gun
Squad 2 -
Lascannon
Plasma Gun

Troops Total: 555

Total Points: 1000

The plan is to have 3 fire bases deployed in order to maximize my ranged firepower. And to use the guard as extra bodes/fodder/anti-tank with the Lascannons. I am then going to use the grey knights to run up a flank (preferably not getting shot to amphetamine parrot on the way there) and when the dice gods decide the assassin comes into play - shes going to tear into any fire bases they have. Hopefully I wont get shafted and the grey knights will make it into combat where they excel.

Any tips, criticism, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
Re: 1,000 Pt Daemonhunters w/Guard - First DH army
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 09:31:03 AM »
Your list looks pretty good for 1k, the only problem is that I see your Inq units are static and have only a few mobile minimum sized GK squads.  For this reason, I would take your Elite Inq squad and throw it away and use those points for another GK squad.  Either Fast Attack or fill out your Troop GK squads.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Spherik

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:24:25 AM »
Ok, so since it does seem rather impossible that 2 minimum strength squads will make it into CC, I dropped the elite inq and added 5 more GKs, 1 acolyte to the inq lord (to keep those wounds off the big guns for as long as possible), and gave the Justicars frags.

Below is my modified list:

HQ:
Inquisitor Lord
 w/ Psycannon
3 Warriors
2 Heavy Bolters
1 Plasma Cannon
2 Sages
1 Acolyte

HQ Total: 198

Elites:
Callidus Assassin

Elite Total: 120

Troops:
7 Grey Knights
Justicar
Frags

7 Grey Knights
Justicar
Frags

Inducted Guard Platoon
Platoon Command Squad - JO
Squad 1
Lascannon
Plasma Gun
Squad 2
Lascannon
Plasma Gun

Troops Total: 682

Total Points: 1000

How do you feel I should deploy the GKs? Together on the flanks or on opposite sides of the board? Should I plop my firebase in the middle and use the 2 GKs in a pincer while waiting for the assassin to come in and cause some more CC havoc?

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 12:00:58 PM »
Is there anyway you could afford Meltabombs and Targeters on your Justicars?

Also, I do not know a thing about Guard, but you do have a mix of weaponry on your Guard platoon which either makes them a static anti-tank role or a mobile plasma unit.  Can you take two lascannons in one unit and two plasmas in the other?  This would give the two units a better role on the battle field.  How many models are in those platoon squads?  If you go with a static Lascannon squad go with a smaller squad, if you are going with a move in and shoot with plasmas then go with more models to keep the plasmas alive long enough to do there damage.

Offline Qui-Gon Jinn

• Jedi Master of the Editorial Order, TechMarine
  • May the Force be with you!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 12:07:20 PM »
With Guard, it is the same with normal, vanilla Marines for their weapon options: One heavy, one special.  Chaos and SoB have the option to ignore the heavy and get a second special, but, thats those armies(for now.  Chaos' been shafted give time for that, but, they got oh so much more in return)

Guard HQs can take mixed weapons like that, however, it makes them a really expensive fire magnet.  Best to have them hide.

I am curious to see how this list will survive.

Chaos Daemon Army
The Army in all its glory!
The Battle Reports of the Army

W/L/D
55/11/7

Chaos Poster of 2009!
Bow before me! :P

Offline Sergant Alexi

• Its a funny world
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:27:40 PM »
You can only take one special and one heavy.  He could take a squad of hardened vetrans can take 3 plasma guns las cannon and a plasma pistol for less the the cost of a las missle dread.
Gari Fireguard 12th Company
500 pts
W/D/L
-

Last Game
-

Offline Spherik

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 03:25:33 PM »
Grand Master BT: The guard can only have 1 heavy/1 special. There are 10 guys in a squad, with 2 making up the lascannon team and another having the plasmas. So thats 7 lasguns, 1 plasma, and 1 lascannon per squad. The Platoon Command squad (Which is mandatory) has the officer and 4 guardsmen. Nothing special. They're there because they have to. My plan with the guard is to target tanks/MCs which my GK lack. Also meltabombs are too expensive right now and im not sure if I need them at 1k points in addition to 2 lascannons. Also why would I need targetters - sure they're cheap as hell, but im a pretty good eye at measuring.

Qui Gon: Unfortunately the Platoon command squad cant take the support teams like the actual guard HQ - so im stuck with this. Unless I wanna give them a flamer or something. Also what flaws do you spot in my list that make surviving hard. Im not trying to sound mean, im just really new to Imperial forces. Any help you clould give would be greatly appreciated.

Sgt. Alexi: DH can't take any of the elite choices from the inducted guard. At least not since I last checked my codex.

Overall, I feel my list will surprise alot of people since almost everyone at the shop knows I play Tau. Also since I have no heavy support I can position my guardsmen/GK in optimal position to be out of the way or just ripe for a perftect shot with the Lascannons. Also with the Callidus I can even move that tank farther away(if he gets first turn) or right in front of my big guns(if I go first).

Offline CaptainReindeer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 03:40:02 PM »
I agree with GM BT that melta bombs would be a very nice addition. I'd drop the Psycannon personally - yeah it's cool, but it's too expensive. Usually I just give my Inq a standard bolter - it really is the only cost effective weapon in the Inquisitorial list! That'd give you the points for the melta bombs, with a few left over...

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 04:06:18 PM »
Well, isn't there a better set up to go with instead of a Lascannon and Plasmagun combo!?

I'd drop the Psycannon personally

Naaa, the Pcannon is a great option for a static firebase squad.  Yes it is expensive, it is our bane!

My plan with the guard is to target tanks/MCs which my GK lack.

Actually, GKs take on MC quite well, WS5 and St6 is nice.