News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thornback (for defense) or Spine Banks for shooty Carnifex (VC/BS)?  (Read 933 times)

Offline Thlaylie

Thornback (for defense) or Spine Banks for shooty Carnifex (VC/BS) which is best?

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
Re: Thornback (for defense) or Spine Banks for shooty Carnifex (VC/BS)?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 09:41:17 AM »
Spine Banks are more useful overall, IMHO.  Doubling your model count in CC isn't all that great, since you will never get a sweeping advance with an Inititive that low.  And extra guns are never a bad thing.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline Badmovies.org

• The Bad Movie Review Website
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:35:16 PM »
Spine Banks are definitely the way to go, just to add a few more shots.  I will say that I have used thornback before on a CC oriented carnifex against Death Guard in a take and hold mission.  Death Guard are fearless and their magic number is seven.  With symbiote rippers I outnumbered him pretty badly.  After losing combat he had to take even more saving throws.  The squads just seemed to melt away.

Anyway, I would only use thornback on a dedicated melee carnifex, in games against fearless opponents.
Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah
Craftworld Barsoom

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 09:04:04 AM »

Doubling your model count in CC isn't all that great, since you will never get a sweeping advance with an Inititive that low.
Other models which were in the same combat, such as I5 hormies, may benefit from that though. But still it's rarely worth the points. If there is a carnifex and a hormie brood, then the enemy usually counts as vastly outnumbered anyway.