News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: ORKS ORKS ORKS  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
ORKS ORKS ORKS
« on: September 18, 2002, 06:48:12 PM »
I have decided I want to start a Kults of Speed army.  Or a Speed Freaks.  I know very little about Orks, I've only played against them once, but I like going really fast.  I don't want Dark Eldar, I already have Eldar, so Kults of Speed/Speed Freeks seem the only way to go!

So can someone tell me how I can get started, what books/WDs I need for their rules, and any good websites about Orks.
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

Offline Insidious Heresy

• General, Hero of Medusa V
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re:ORKS ORKS ORKS
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 07:16:04 PM »
to start a KoS army you need the Armageddon codex and the ork codex. there is also a WD article with rules for a Warboss on a warbike. i dont remember which one at the moment but i will look for you unless you have alrdy seen it. the dakka forums are your best bet for tactics and advice i suggest you ask for help there since there is a semi-large ork community there.

Offline AceV53

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 12:12:41 AM »
You'll need lots of warbikes and/or wartrukks in you want in on a Speed Freeks army. They are pretty much the fastest things you have in that list and they are very important. Check out the Ork Board on 40k.ca for some more help.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

"All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."
-Steve Martin in Sergeant Bilko

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 09:35:43 AM »
You need the BBB, as the weapons are not listed in the ork codex.  Then you need the ork codex, and codex armaggedon.  Buy Two ork BF sets plus two more trucks.  Buy one bike and an ork character to convert to warboss on bike.  Then go to the ork forum on 40k.ca for tips, tricks, and tactics. (do orks have tactics?) Remember they are comicle so if you do not have a sense of humor the orks are not for you.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Mantus

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 02:39:30 PM »

i really dont like the "comical" role that Orks are given…they really dont seem that funny when they are bashing oppent your terminator armor with those damn choppas.

As for advice.  

You wanted speed, you got speed :D  Use lots of wartrukks.  I would forget about heavy weapons, just get into assault by the second round and you should be okay.

Attack targets of opportunity.  Remember that speed freaks are not nearly as numerous as regular ork armies so don’t go charging straight ahead.  

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2002, 08:11:10 AM »
My son plays speed freeks very successfuly.  He has beaten space wolves and armored company.  This weekend he will finally face the nids.  We will see.  If he does well I will but him some more.  He currently has 1800 points worth.  
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline LehmanRuss

• Has a Custom Title
  • Hey, you mess with the Bull, you get the Horns.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2002, 02:22:22 PM »
My son plays speed freeks very successfuly.  He has beaten space wolves and armored company.  This weekend he will finally face the nids.  We will see.  If he does well I will but him some more.  He currently has 1800 points worth.  

Good for him!  Glad to hear that a young player of the game is doing well.

For I Like Necrons, don't forget to take guntrukks with Zzap Guns for tank busting.  They'd be your best bet for any semblance of heavy weaponry.
We've been run down every hill.  Chased up all the dead end streets.  But if you try to cut us out, you'll get a kick in the teeth!

There's only two ways this can end, and in both of them, you die.

[img]http://www.ultinomicon.com/images/ultbigbanner.jpg[/i

Offline Andie

• Two, one, one, two.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2002, 05:22:22 PM »
Speed Freeks would be my choice as a first ork army. That doesnt really tell you what you need but... All you need need is the Armegeddon codex, I think.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2002, 08:33:01 AM »
Well this weekends battles were mixed.  I played 3k of my Saim Hann and beat the 3k of nids by total annailation, in 6 turns.  I didnt have much left, only my hawks, avengers, and the falcon.  on the other hand.  My son John, did not do well, he used the sit and shoot tactic against nids, as we all know that is what dont work against nids.  Yes almost all the gaunts were killed, but when 3 bunches of 6 warriors, the carnifex, and the tyrant made it into the ork lines, Well lets just say it wasnt pretty.  The nids still had over 1/2 his army left and the orks had two nobs and a flamer at the end of turn 4.  So instead of using the speed freeks advantage of fast attack, he tried to be a space marine with orks.  I hope it was a learning experience. As afterwards He told me he should have taken my advice and took the attack to the nids.  Well, next time.