News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ork anti-vehicle options  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Ork anti-vehicle options
« on: June 27, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »
I have had some trouble dealing with vehicles in my usual Ork lists, which include lots of boyz, some trukks, some HQ units and Nobz with Klaws, and Kanz. I want to up the anti-tank output of my lists and have been evaluating Ork anti-vehicle options.

Here are a couple that fit under 200 points:

10 Lootas
10 TankBustas
6 Big Gunz (Kannons)
3 Mek Gunz (Kustom Mega-Kannons)

So the lootas put out a lot of with medium strength, a small AP, and weak damage. but it's a LOT of shots on average, and it's a lot of range. The TankBustas have better strength, damage, and AP, all of which is relevant. But firing only one shot each and short ranged. the reduced rate of fire is a problem also. I feel like these would be in positions that would make them easier to kill. On the other hand, I could put them in a Trukk and since it's assault, I can drive around while shooting. That's a lot of points though.
The Kannons seem like a pretty solid choice for the price. They deal 7/9ths of a wound per Kannon against a Razorback/Rhino profile, which with 6 of them will deal... almost 5 wounds per turn. Which isnt' amazing, but it's something.
They are stationary and vulnerable, but the range is ok.
The KMK Gunz seem like they have a lot of potential. 3 of them could put out about 10 shots per turn on par with the TankBustas with more range, though again this is a heavy weapon, and with better accuracy while stationary thanks to being manned by grots.

Thinking about defensive profiles, none of these are great. It seems like Lootas might be the simplest due to having the longest range and therefore the easiest to keep alive. I actually have the models for 3 Kannons so I may run those at least for now. What has worked well for you?
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Ork anti-vehicle options
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »
G'day Blazinghand!
Haven't had much to do with Orks for a couple of Editions now. What happened to the Zzat and shock attack guns? With you not mentioning them in your list, obviously they've been nerfed or taken out of the game entirely. Are the squigs with explosives still an option now-a-days?

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:17 AM »
Hey Blazinghand.  I haven't tried anything out yet but 8 bustas with 2 bomb squigs in a basic trukk is just a bit over 200 points.  The good thing about Tankbustas is they have an ability that lets them re-roll failed to hit rolls on vehicles, and the bomb squigs get it too as part of the unit.  That helps make up for their low number of attacks.

In the last edition, Lootas were a go to unit for me and they look like a good choice in this edition too.  Lots of dakka and they now do twice as much damage per hit as last edition.

The KMKs look alright too and the damage from gets hot may not be too big a hindrance.  The gun gets damaged and it's got a good amount of wounds to it so it can survive a few bad rolls to hit.  But they are expensive.

I've never been a big fan of kannons.  They are somewhat cheap, good to hit rolls for Orks, and could do a lot of damage per hit.

Tankbustas and lootas are the two options I'm looking to try out first.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 12:47:06 AM »
Have you looked at the boys yet? Upgrade one to knob and he is good at dealing wounds. Hit three times and you could potentially do six wounds with a big choppa. The boys all come with grenades now, those too could potentially be used in close combat with a vehicle. (there is no rule saying you can or can not).

Not to mention, that I see the meta of this new edition being more about the troops than the vehicles. If you noticed the point cost of vehicles has gone really high, while the cost remains about the same for infantry models.

So, for a truly anti tank mobile force take three nob bikers with big choppas. If they all hit and wound that would be nine wounds on a vehicle. Drastically slowing down bigger vehicles and killing some. Not to mention would be good for use on some monstrous critters that some people lug around. Plus, if your opponent tries to hide his big gun tank thing in the back and pound you with it, you can go root it out and get rid of the pesky thing...

My two teef.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 04:00:56 AM »
G'day Blazinghand!
Haven't had much to do with Orks for a couple of Editions now. What happened to the Zzat and shock attack guns? With you not mentioning them in your list, obviously they've been nerfed or taken out of the game entirely. Are the squigs with explosives still an option now-a-days?

Zzap Guns on Big Gunz don't seem to compare too favorably to the similarly-priced Kannons. To outperform a Kannon, a Zzap gun needs to roll a 9+ on 2d6, which only happens 27% of the time. The AP is better on the Zzap gun but I'm not sure it justifies the reliability. It seems like a LOT of things have to go right for the Zzap gun actually do some work for you. When I've fielded them, in 8e every time I've thought "wow these are pretty bad and/or unreliable". Shokk Attack Gun seems better but i doubt i'll be able to field a lot. It's something I'll consider.

Oh yeah, squigs with squig bombs seem pretty good. I should put this into my consideration for Tankbustas.

Have you looked at the boys yet? Upgrade one to knob and he is good at dealing wounds. Hit three times and you could potentially do six wounds with a big choppa. The boys all come with grenades now, those too could potentially be used in close combat with a vehicle. (there is no rule saying you can or can not).

Not to mention, that I see the meta of this new edition being more about the troops than the vehicles. If you noticed the point cost of vehicles has gone really high, while the cost remains about the same for infantry models.

So, for a truly anti tank mobile force take three nob bikers with big choppas. If they all hit and wound that would be nine wounds on a vehicle. Drastically slowing down bigger vehicles and killing some. Not to mention would be good for use on some monstrous critters that some people lug around. Plus, if your opponent tries to hide his big gun tank thing in the back and pound you with it, you can go root it out and get rid of the pesky thing...

My two teef.

Yeah I run a nob with a Power Klaw in all my Boyz squads. That alone doesn't seem to do enough. Although vehicles have been expensive, I've had trouble in all three games I've played, dealing with vehicles. Facing off with 4 Rhinos or 3 Razorbacks and a Dreadnought and 2 Stormravens has been enough trouble to make me try to squeeze some more AT into my list. It's possible that after the "meta" settles down a bit, there'll be less armor though which would be nice. Until then, I have to deal wiht it still :(

I like the idea of Nobs with Bikes and Big choppas. do you think Power Klaws would work better?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »
IT is a close call. A big choppa causes two damage and a power klaw causes D3 damage. So, potentially a klaw can cause less damage than a big choppa. Conversely, it can cause more damage. Knowing how my dice like to dis me, I go for the weapons that give my dice less of a chance to laugh at me  ???
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 08:13:49 PM »
I ran some nob bikers in my last game... They did really well, actually exceptionally well on the charge... But without any sort of innate cover save or inv save, they can't really take a lot of damage. Granted, they have more wounds so that helps... But anyone who gives them any real attention will blow them away... I'm not sure how long they will last tank busting...

Now, the tankbustas intrigue me... The reroll on hits for vehicles is pretty big and the damage output is pretty good... The high str of the rokkits means you'll normally wound... I'm interested to see how they do...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 11:29:45 PM »
I ran some nob bikers in my last game... They did really well, actually exceptionally well on the charge... But without any sort of innate cover save or inv save, they can't really take a lot of damage. Granted, they have more wounds so that helps... But anyone who gives them any real attention will blow them away... I'm not sure how long they will last tank busting...

Now, the tankbustas intrigue me... The reroll on hits for vehicles is pretty big and the damage output is pretty good... The high str of the rokkits means you'll normally wound... I'm interested to see how they do...

Adam

I wonder if a squad of 10 in a Trukk would be a good idea. This would give them some mobility to get in range to shoot, and a little bit of survivability. Since their weapons are Assault, the Trukk can move and then they can shoot with no problem.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #8 on: July 2, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »
That's what I'm thinking BH...  10 would statistically hit about 5 times verses a vehicle. That's enough to ruin someone's day I would think... Especially since they will most likely wound what they are hitting against... Throw in some bomb squigs and you can seal the deal... :)

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!