News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: new Dark Eldar conversion ideas  (Read 8237 times)

Offline Galef

new Dark Eldar conversion ideas
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »
I love doing conversions and with the new Dark Eldar coming soon, I have been having lots of ideas.

Unfortunately for me, I either don't need or want to use some of these units, but I thought I'd share with the community.

First the Venom.  This vehicle is one that has existed in the unofficial Harlequin Codex years ago.  There are 2 main ways to do this.  One way is to just use the old Raiders since they look less impressive than the new one.  This option woul dbe simple and work best for player who already have the old Raiders.  I would suggest using the Eldar clear canopy the comes with EVERY Eldar vehicle.  Place it in front of the gunner upside-down (War Walker style)

The other (and cooler) way to make a Venom is to get an Eldar Vyper & instead of assembling the gunner, some how convert a platform.  I have seen a few others have done online that use the platform from the old Raider:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/harlequin%20Venom/killersquid/warhammer/Harlequins/IMG_3971.jpg

I personally will be converting one as soon as I get the new Raider.  I will use the extra bitz with a Vyper I have had lying around unused.

Next is the Scorges.  As I don't see them making models for them anytime soon and the old models no longer for sail, converting these will be a must.  Again I see 2 options.  Swooping hawks with decorative bitz from the new DE plastic kits would be one I would do (but then again I also play Eldar and LOVE using Eldar models to make DE).

Another good option would be to use the plastic Kabalite warriors and simple greenstuff wings onto them using the Dark Elf Harpy wings still sold on GW's site.

I'd post a link, but the site is down right now.  Anyway, there are in the Warhammer bitz section under Wings.

The next conversion isn't really a conversion, but given the artwork in the codex, using an Eldar Nightwing would be perfect for either of the "flyers" (I know they aren't flyers, but I forget their names).  Alternatively the Dark Eldar Raven would be great.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Dark_Eldar

Sadly the Nightwing doesn't seem to be on ForgeWorld anymore, but I did find this:
http://eldartactics.blogspot.com/2009/10/eldar-nightwing-bases.html

I would love more input and pics from stuff you guys have/find.  Until then, I will continue brainstorming & reading thru the fluff and concept art of the codex so that other Archons out there can field models that GW doesn't (or may never) make.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
Re: new Dark Eldar conversion ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »
Night wing is very available... you were probably looking at the wrong page since it's an eldar model Not DE.

linkage

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Eldar/ELDAR-NIGHTWING.html

As for DE flyer's there are actually 3. The Void dragon, the raven, and the razor wing.

here's a pic stolen from  the kharandhil 

the Razorwing is no longer available.

The raven will probably be discontinued very soon as i think FW will declare it no longer fits in with the current DE theme.

The Void dragon is available here

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Eldar/VOID-DRAGON-PHOENIX.html

The Nightwing will need a lot of work to make it look like the codex picture. Are you willing to spend money and potentially ruin a £60 model? If you are then no problem. But i converted a falcon a few years ago to be a counts as nightwing for me DE army... this was the result and may give you some ideas.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:31:51 PM by nesbitt_bub1 »

Offline Galef

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 03:27:18 AM »
Another i dea I found while googling:  Wraithlord Talos.  I have always wanting to do this kind of conversion since they are the 2 Eldar MC's, but I could never find a good way to pull it off.

Then I fond this:
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62230&start=30

The Destroyer body really pulls it together.  Fluffwise, it would be really easy to say that the Heamonculi capture Wraithlords to experiment on them (the old DE fluff mentioned 'wraith' genades that used tortured souls).

Current Armies:

Offline Meatwad

• Now kickin' ass and takin' names
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »
A major problem i have with that converted talos is that it doesnt look like the "engine of torture" that its supposed to be.  no spiky bits, no blood splatter, no serrated blades, no poisonous needles... not to mention that it doesnt look like its been hammered together haphazardly, which is what i would sorta expect from haemonculus.

It looks good, i just think it needs a bit more work for it to be pulled off as dark eldar.  It just needs that haemonculi's touch... get me?
Alboridian:
O  o
 /¯/___________________________ _ __/
| =====Always Fully Charged.=====:::
 \_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯\

"I wish i was a moderator..."   -Meatwad

Offline Galef

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:03:03 AM »
I can see your point.  A simple solution would be to use Raider blades (either fromt he new or old kit).

I personally will be giving mine a clawed hand and old Reaver blades on their forearms.  However, my Eldar/Dark Eldar are prodominently Eldar in the fluff, just Eldar that got lost in the Webway and had to ally with some Dark Eldar to get out.  So my WraithTalos where created from Wraithlords that needed a better mode to travel the Webway (hence the anti-grav platform).

Current Armies:

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
I was thinking of taking the blade vanes at the back of raiders/ravagers and use two of them at the front, to create a pair of mandible-looking blades at the front. I don't like the prow stabby thing, so I think this front would look better. Just have to find something to replace the vane in the back, probable an extra sail if there is one.

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline Galef

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 02:26:53 AM »
I read an articl eon Bell of lost Souls that talked about the Beastmaster unit and haow to convert them.

"Clawed fiends - The Thing in the Woods or maybe a Chaos Spawn?

Khymerae - Chaos Warhounds painted Black and shadowy.

Razorwing Flocks -  Vampire Count Bat swarms.

Please do not post unit stats/rules. Other sites may let posters do it but we do not.
-Lor.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:09:29 AM by Lorizael »

Current Armies:

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:26:37 AM »
I think you may have divulged too much about their rules. And you seem to be assuming they won't get any models. Of all units that might not get models, I don't think the beastmaster's beasts are amongst them. Maybe the Venom and one of the Dark Eldar flyers, or the mini Talos, but not the beasts, it just wouldn't seem right IMO.

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »
Next is the Scorges.  As I don't see them making models for them anytime soon and the old models no longer for sail, converting these will be a must.

Ebay them for now, but saying that they won't get any models soon is a mistake, first rumors said they were going to be in the first waves, possibly in wave 1,5
Sicne now they're gone, even from the GW website, my guess is that they'll be in wave 2 => januray. Can you wait that long? Or not?
Same goes for a lot of other models, I'm guessing msot models GW removed from their side and havn't come back will be mostly included in wave 2.
Talos and heamonculus should come back in wave 3.

Wave 3 is coming in summer at the latest, I'm just goign to wait before making any conversions, a few months waiting is ok for me.
Some models might come even later, but I'm sure I'll be busy enough.

There are 3 models I'm concerned they won't get any models:
Voidraven, Razorwing and Venom. I'm sure that all or most other models will get their cool models, just have to wait patiently.

I see absolutely no rush in converting the non available models, it's actually good that they come in different waves, this way you have the time to get some assembling and some painting done, but for most painters like me, a few months isn't enough. I'm sure I'll still be working on the new dark eldar minis in two years. You guys make it sound like half our codex won't get any models, but GW is clearly proving they are giving our army some love. Some conversions can be made, like squad leaders, etc... but making entire units sounds pointless at this point, especially when the second wave is only 1-2 max 3 months away.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline Galef

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 12:30:51 AM »
I hope you are right, kharandhil.  GW's track record for supposed "2nd waves" has not been great.

Take Daemons for example, it took them 2 years to make a second wave for them.  GW stopped selling Seekers of Slaanesh as soon as the new Codex & Army book hit the shelfs.  That is why they were going on Ebay for over $60 a piece.  And I mean single, unpainted, unassembled Seekers.

With this being the first army-wide redesign in YEARS, it might be different & we might be lucky enough to see new models for most of the new Dark Eldar.

I just want to share ideas so that other players who aren't as optimistic, or might not be as patient can play the units they want instead of leaving it up to GW as to what armylists are available at whatever time.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Next on the list are Wracks & Grotesques.
Wracks can easily be converted by using Varpire Count Ghouls:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440103a&prodId=prod1050048

Grotesques could be made using Skaven Rat Ogres:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440086a&prodId=prod1040496

With both units, you could cut down the face I greenstuff a mask that looks like the one in both units description art.

Current Armies:

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 03:04:38 AM »
Is this the rumours board? Seemed like it for a moment there...
Lets keep the discussion to konversions please. It doesn't matter if a model is due out tomorrow or in 3 years, people may still want to make converted versions.

-Lor.

Offline Galef

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »
Although there are models for the Talos & Harlies, I recently converted my own and thought it might contribute to this thread:
http://glennsgwmodels.blogspot.com/2010/10/wraithtalos-harlequins.html
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:15:45 AM by Galef »

Current Armies: