News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: flyer spam 1850 - trying to be competetive  (Read 2071 times)

Offline croggy

• Loota
  • ...to burn or not to burn...
flyer spam 1850 - trying to be competetive
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »
Hello again guys.

I posted a few flyer spam lists on here a couple of months ago when i was building the list

I got to play it for a couple of months and it served me very well at battlefield birmingham ( i reckon i could of won if i had of turned up for the second day lol)

anyway its not as easy now but the general idea is take 6 flyers to try and keep some troops alive while pounding your opponents troops all game so your poxy weak squads can jump out and hug cover at the end of the game...

with the recent rise to the vendetta costs it makes this list much much more difficult but this is my first attempt at building it using the new codex and i have yet to play test it so as much constructive critisism as possible please

anyway the list

tank commander
vanquisher-hull lascannon, multimelta sponsons
vanquisher-hull lascannon, multimelta sponsons

vets - 3melta
vets - 3melta

vendetta-3 tl lascannons
vendetta-3 tl lascannons
vendetta-3 tl lascannons

wyvern - hull heavy flamer

allies - inquisition

coteaz

3acolytes- 3 flamers, valkyrie - multiple rocket pods, heavy bolter sponsons

this list is a whole lot weaker then it was before the update but i think it could still work ... gone from like 10 troops to 5  :o

basic idea im thinking now is start with wyverns hiding in cover ( hopefully out of sight) and hiding coteaz behind the russ squad twin linking them and combining that with orders to make the most of the 8 shots as im hoping i wont get any of that "ffs first turn and not a single hit " bs i seem to get with high strength low ap single fire weapons...
while wyverns smash troops (hopefully)
against meq i may actually hit transports with the wyverns of things like tfc's and use the vanqs to mop up troops or pick on teq's etc.

then fly in and not die...

its a very simple plan

but like i say id love your input guys

thanks in advance

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
Re: flyer spam 1850 - trying to be competetive
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
It is an assumption but it looks like you wanted to put those Veterans inside of the Vendettas so they come in the game later? Sadly the Vendetta transport capacity has changed with the new codex....

Coteaz all by his lonesome? Being the only infantry character on the table sounds like he'll be targeted by anything that can't hurt the tanks.

I agree with the Vanquisher for the Tank Commander. Sponsons on it are a good idea because it's turret weapon is not ordnance and you can benefit as much as possible from the Tank Commander's better ballistic skill. His friend though, I've never been too big of a fan of. Like you said, one shot weapons are a pain with average ballistic skill. I do see the reasoning behind it though because you won't have any long range anti tank for a turn or two and Lascannons aren't great against AV13+ (Ghost Ark, Landraider, you know.)

Wyverns...I'm not 100% on these yet. I do enjoy artillery but it's weapon stats are just a hair below what I would need from them. They willy only really work against the weakest of transports and I can seem them being incredibly fantastic against Dark Eldar and Orks but not MEQ. Let us know your findings after some play testing.

My thoughts probably weren't all that helpful but I felt I should at least discuss a bit instead of just telling you the Vendetta bit. Good luck!

Offline croggy

• Loota
  • ...to burn or not to burn...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:32:36 AM »
Nah vets are to walk on bud

Hoping to hide coteaz as much as possible and he's mainly there for turn two +1 to reserve roles and to make acolytes troops so he needs only to live one turn lol

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »
Ok so knowing that you plan to march the Veterans on from reserves, are Meltaguns a good choice? How often do you have tanks on your backfield (Fliers being the exception)? A heavy weapon will at least give them range so they can camp somewhere away from danger.

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »
I'd have to agree on the melta thing. They aren't really going to see any action at all, just too short ranged. Giving one Squad Plasma guns and one squad Grenade Launchers is the same cost, and its going to see a lot more use, if only because of the extra range.

It is an assumption but it looks like you wanted to put those Veterans inside of the Vendettas so they come in the game later? Sadly the Vendetta transport capacity has changed with the new codex....

Coteaz all by his lonesome? Being the only infantry character on the table sounds like he'll be targeted by anything that can't hurt the tanks.

I agree with the Vanquisher for the Tank Commander. Sponsons on it are a good idea because it's turret weapon is not ordnance and you can benefit as much as possible from the Tank Commander's better ballistic skill. His friend though, I've never been too big of a fan of. Like you said, one shot weapons are a pain with average ballistic skill. I do see the reasoning behind it though because you won't have any long range anti tank for a turn or two and Lascannons aren't great against AV13+ (Ghost Ark, Landraider, you know.)

I'm going to resume that Corteaz will be casting Prescience on the Vanq squad? since they will be one of the only units reliably within range that isn't already totally twin-linked.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher