News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bullgryns  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
Bullgryns
« on: April 21, 2014, 05:29:22 AM »
What do people think of them? I just finished assembling 6 of them and although I think they are very cool looking, I am still wincing over paying about $100 for the unit. 5 have slab shields and my bonehead has a power maul. They are also very static for assembly - pretty much a set pose for each.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
Re: Bullgryns
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:21:02 PM »
I am not sure yet. I will probably sub terminators in for the models to try them out before shelling out for them. They are very expensive points wise and you need six of them (IMO) to run in three pairs (2 inches between pairs) as a minimum to cover the most distance in a line to get the most benefit of the mobile cover.

On one hand I think they are too expensive ESPECIALLY when you start putting power mauls on.

HOWEVER, I'd like to be on the opposition to them first to see how I would cope with a wall of T5 W3 3+ armour saves coming at me, giving a 4+ cover save to a Leman Russ squadron behind them (or 3+ if you give the LRs cammo netting).

But for a 1500 point game six Bullgryns is 20 % of your force and for those points you could simply get (almost) two more Leman Russes, or a whole another 50 man guard squad to advance alongside the 50 man blob squad that would be behind the Bullgryns.

Surely you're better off investing points in the extra models (which gives more fire power in the early game turns) rather than mobile cover that is irrelevant if hit with ignore cover weapons. Also you'd only need to kill a couple of Bullgryns and it wouldn't be too difficult to then outflank the mobile cover as they advance.

I think if Ogryns and Bullgryns were 5 points cheaper each then I would get them as I like the models and the idea and have always wanted to play them, but they have never been points effective, and I think they are still points ineffective.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline D503

• 老外来了!
Re: Bullgryns
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
I faced a unit of 6 bullgryns exactly as you describe with my eldar, and I hosed them off the table with starcannon fire with only marginally more difficulty than if they were a tactical squad of marines.  It took only 2 tuns for my warwalkers to kill them.

It's a shame, as the models are great - especially the gas mask heads - but the rules are terrible.  It's like they made them bad deliberately to have an example to point at when they ant to prove new models aren't always the fromage du jour.