News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codex: Astra Militarium, first impressions  (Read 11828 times)

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Re: Codex: Astra Militarium, first impressions
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »
Well then there you go. It was a typo for sure and they've just been either too lazy or stupid to fix the mobi version or issue an FAQ for print. Par for the course?
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »
It says it in the .mobi version of the stormies codex. In the section that describes the wargear the volley-gun has Gets Hot, but not in the summary at the back.

Nor was Gets Hot! in the entry in the WD.
Also, I noticed one thing recently: I can take a Primaris Psyker and a Commissar to give me access to Stubborn Ld 9 guardsmen and have access to divination. Or I can just take a Inquisitor which does more or less the same thing for 30-40% less points.
I tend to favor single-codex solutions if they're available. In either case, you can take more Primaris Psykers than you can take Inquisitors, full-stop.

There's also PP+MP, which has its own benefits and I think is superior unless you really want to be able to hit the dirt. I'd also prefer to have them not get shot.

Anyone played with the new Bullgryns via proxy yet? I think Ogryns/Bullgryns need to have a priest or commissar attached if you're going to use them as shocktroops.

Well then there you go. It was a typo for sure and they've just been either too lazy or stupid to fix the mobi version or issue an FAQ for print. Par for the course?

Send a mail in to Black Library. They do fix the digital stuff fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:58:27 PM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
CCS with Aquilla in a Chimera, Primaris Psyker with Prescience nearby, and 3xPunishers with HBS and Pask. 87 S5 shots with rerolls to hit and rerolling 1's to wound. 20 of those have Rending. *drool*

And you still have 1000 points left to play with in an 1850 list.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 03:26:32 AM »
Why do you need the CCS with the Aquilla? Pask's WLT is preferred enemy for his unit so they have it anyway.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline pudd

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 07:38:48 AM »
Also if you take a CCS I'm pretty sure pask would loose his warlord trait.

One of the rules for warlords says it's the model with the highest leadership. As pask doesn't have a leadership stat at all that would make the CCS the only option unless pask (or a normal tank commander) is the only HQ.

Offline spunkybass

• Uh-oh, I'm starting a new army. Again.
    • Spunkybass Place 3.0
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Thousand Sons, Eldar, Ravenwing
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 06:59:09 AM »
Overall, I do like the codex. Most of my thoughts have already been mentioned. I tried a couple of games, and I must say it's pretty awesome:

- prescienced a blob w 3 lascannons, then gave them Fire on My Target order, gave a nasty shock to a couple of wave serpents
- finally used my Punisher. Holy cow it's awesome, especially given that it's cheaper now
- I really like it that I can actually field an armored company that looks like one - at 1850, I put in 9 Russes (2 vanqs, 1 exterminator, 1 executioner, 1 punisher, 1 demolisher, 3 plain russes without sponsons), 2 vet squads in chimera (no Taurus model yet) and  hydra.
- yes, pity about the hydra, really nice model but not as good as the old one. But hey, it's my only AA for the armored company themed list
- talking about the Hydra, it really is an awesome model! I love it that all 4 barrels can recoil. It's one of those things that can make a grown man do autocannon firing sounds with his mouth :)
Legio Malaysia member since 2008
Spunkybass Place 3.0

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 08:33:38 AM »
First impression: More of the same.

But that's not a bad thing. There's nothing really changed from the old codex, it's more of a tweak than an over haul. With a few exceptions all the changes appear to be for the best and I'm waiting to see what new builds people start coming up with.

Couple of small stupid mistakes in the Codex (Go GW!), Yarrick can never be your Warlord because Yarrick is in your army... Sentinels may come as standard with Flak missiles or may have no missiles at all in their launchers... I'd hope it's small things that people can figure out without massive RAW/RAI arguments, but hey this is 40K and there's always room to argue the dumbest things.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 12:37:36 PM »

Couple of small stupid mistakes in the Codex (Go GW!), Yarrick can never be your Warlord because Yarrick is in your army... Sentinels may come as standard with Flak missiles or may have no missiles at all in their launchers... I'd hope it's small things that people can figure out without massive RAW/RAI arguments, but hey this is 40K and there's always room to argue the dumbest things.

Not sure which version of the dex you have but my iPad version shows both sentinels have all 3 missiles standard when they take the missile launcher. I'm not seeing how you think Yarrick's can never be your warlord though. I can see the RAW vs RAI argument as to whether he can be the warlord if you take a CCS too but I see nothing stopping him from being the warlord if he's your only HQ.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 01:22:35 PM »
I have the iBook version of both AM and MT and neither list the hot shot volley gun as being Gets Hot. What version are you guys seeing that in?

The printed copy.

Yup! I have the Print copy and it has "Gets Hot" in the weapon description page only, not in the summary page in the back.....any word on a ruling yet?

Oh yeah....Here I am! Hi all! ;)
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 01:33:51 PM »
Not sure which version of the dex you have

LE Hard copy which just lists "Missile launcher" rather than the normal convention of "Missile Launcher with xxx and yyy missiles". As a side note there seem to be more and more topics coming up on these forums that include the sentence "I don't know which version you have but..."

Yarricks issue comes down to bad wording of the Chain Of Command rule which is worded as "no models" rather than "no other models" given the Codex lists his Warlord trait I'd say most people can make up their minds as to what the rule should be.

There's a few other small stupid bits not worth mentioning, which is a nice change as normally there's a couple of major things that leave people going "Huh?" for months even after they FAQ some of the Codex.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »
I've yet to get either of the new codexes (poverty!) but I know enough to start giving some opinions.

Firstly, the revamped order system is brilliant.  Now your platoon commanders can be a useful link in the chain of command, and the new orders themselves are great and characterful.  Plus inspired tactics is now an unquestionably good thing.  On more than one occasion in the past, I got my free order...only to roll a double six.  :P

I'm also pretty excited about Enginseers and their new abilities.  And Primaris pyskers too.  But they do make me wonder (and this is something for the general thread), are the marines getting the short straw again?

One final point; conscripts.  They look like an almost must have.  Big dirt cheap mobs holding objectives?  Hell yes!

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »
I'm thinking this is a good codex as well that you can build many lists that work well. My only gripes are:

Ogryns/Bullgryns - too expensive

Hydra - why isn't this the exterminator autocannon so it is Heavy 4 twin linked with skyfire. As it is 2 x Heavy 2, it means if you move you have to snap fire one of the weapons. I don't mind it not having interceptor as then it would be broken, but I mean come on let us move it 6 inches and fire all barrels.

LR Executioner - why oh why did you have to GH the main turret. There's now a 60% chance of getting a gets hot if you have the PC sponsons.

One tactic I'm thinking is of getting three primaris psykers that are level 2 and trying to get invisibility - i have six rolls to try. Anyone fancy a 50 man blob squad that is invisible? Can you cast invisibility on Leman Russ squadrons - I haven't got my rule book to hand? That's a 3 up cover save in the open if you also give them cammo netting! Also puppet master is a psychic shooting attack so you can hide in a chimera and use this to take over a vehicle (if you roll for it of course).

However, for the points of three primaris psykers that are Level 2 you may as well just buy two additional Leman Russes (costing a bit more I know, but). However, if you're not facing Tau it may be worth a roll or to with one psyker.

Anyway, there's plenty of scope for trying different things.

I too think 50 conscripts with a Commisar will be hard to shift off an objective that simply go to ground in area terrain or behind a ADL on an objective.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline commissar_bob

• blarg
  • Armies: space wolfs.  IG armored company
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
I wanted more tanks ..got a new kit st least.  Might pick one up as they dont look bad.  Was hoping for a new flyer and a new .bigger russ tank

Overall about the norm for a guard codex.  Few new thing changes in what they have but the overall structure hasnt changed

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »
One tactic I'm thinking is of getting three primaris psykers that are level 2 and trying to get invisibility - i have six rolls to try. Anyone fancy a 50 man blob squad that is invisible? Can you cast invisibility on Leman Russ squadrons - I haven't got my rule book to hand? That's a 3 up cover save in the open if you also give them cammo netting! Also puppet master is a psychic shooting attack so you can hide in a chimera and use this to take over a vehicle (if you roll for it of course).

However, for the points of three primaris psykers that are Level 2 you may as well just buy two additional Leman Russes (costing a bit more I know, but). However, if you're not facing Tau it may be worth a roll or to with one psyker.

Go with the extra Leman Russes, Primaris Psykers can't roll for Telepathy anymore and Astropaths who only get Telepathy can't be level 2.  :-\

Offline Crawfskeezen

• The Emperor Protects
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Dark Angels
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »
Well, I'm definitely picking up another Russ or two. You could safely field 4 in a 1000 point game and have 300-400 (or even more if you cheap out) points to drop on troops (HQ is accounted for).

On the topic of Rough Riders. I too wished that they may become possibly useful which hasn't exactly happened. However, there is one improvement to the unit in terms of their wargear. In 5th they could take only either a Laspistol or a Close Combat Weapon. Now they come with both.

So provided they don't get wiped off the table in the first round they get an extra attack each in the second also provided that they're not fighting something with a better initiative - a.k.a. everything.
CO 46th Frostshields

"Relish The Cold, Freeze The Foe"

7th W/D/L

IG 1/0/0

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #35 on: May 2, 2014, 10:01:45 AM »
I'm an Eldar player primarily, but with this new codex, I'm all over the Astra Militorium Guard for the Imperial Scions book thing.

I had about 1000points and 100 Guardsmen as a nice detachment, now I'm moving them up. I love the idea of the Tauroxes barrelling ahead with Vets.

The Scions are pretty cool, I like the idea of 500pts getting you three full squads AND a Command squad all for one Elite slot! (Rolling for reinforcements is so much better when you have a swarm of guys about to land)

And the Ratling rules. As an Eldar player, I love the hit and fade tactic - it's nice to bring some into a Guard army.

I was inspired to collect Guard intially, because I loved the Ork Codex (180 Ork Boyz running across the board made me think - I want a Guard army against that!), and now I feel re-inspired with the new Codex.

I like what I have read, and I look forward to seeing it on the board.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2014, 10:03:11 AM by TheEldarGuy »

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #36 on: May 6, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »
Yarricks issue comes down to bad wording of the Chain Of Command rule which is worded as "no models" rather than "no other models" given the Codex lists his Warlord trait I'd say most people can make up their minds as to what the rule should be.

I don't see a question here. If you have a Company Commander (or a named variant), he's In Command. Doesn't matter if the Hero of Armageddon is there, the regs state that a Senior Officer has priority over a Commissar. So if Yarrick is fielded in an army without a CCS, he can be the Warlord. Otherwise, Yarrick will defer to the local commander. It's the same as the Lord Commissar.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline pudd

« Reply #37 on: May 6, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »
Technically it doesn't say Yarrick is a lord commissar. I've no doubt he is meant to be and would never play it otherwise but that's what it says.

If he isn't a lord commissar then he doesn't have the Aura of Discipline and Chain of Command rules. Because of this he would have to be your warlord because of his Ld, even with a CCS in the army.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #38 on: May 6, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
Technically it doesn't say Yarrick is a lord commissar. I've no doubt he is meant to be and would never play it otherwise but that's what it says.

If he isn't a lord commissar then he doesn't have the Aura of Discipline and Chain of Command rules. Because of this he would have to be your warlord because of his Ld, even with a CCS in the army.

Well, that's awkward. I completely missed the fact that he had Senior Officer too. Another bit for the errata/FAQ, I guess?
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #39 on: May 7, 2014, 01:44:36 AM »

It doesn't need to specify he's a lord commissar because both of those special rules are in his list anyway - he has them and follows them both
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!