News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Uh, who are you again?" (Telling Guard Squads apart)  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Merc

Re: "Uh, who are you again?" (Telling Guard Squads apart)
« Reply #20 on: December 5, 2007, 05:54:25 PM »
KISS, keep it simple stupid. As my necromunda guard are gangers, i gang per squad. EASY PEESY LEMON SQUEEZY

Offline Lockz

• Captain | Acting S4 - 40th Corps
  • 31st Mordian Iron Guard
« Reply #21 on: December 5, 2007, 07:01:31 PM »
I don't have any markings to keep my squads apart, other than my veteran squad.  I find that it gets too difficult to set things up before the game, having to differentiate between squads rather than make sure each squad has the right weapons, leader, then six or seven guys with lasguns.
Better crippled in body than corrupt in mind

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #22 on: December 5, 2007, 07:18:05 PM »
Well, the way I work things out is that I have all of the Guardsmen stowed away along with their squad. So when I open up my case, Squad 1, 2, and 3 will be staring at me all aligned right next to each other.

Offline The Hobo Hunter

« Reply #23 on: December 5, 2007, 08:13:39 PM »
For storing squads, I have to make do with one of those GW cases (received with a stash of Battletech, no way I'd buy one of those new). I still can't work out why they made the rows 9 models long, it's not like anyone uses squads in multiples of 10 models (marines redux?). So I have a sergeant and 8 guardsmen per row, and then I have 1 of the foam trays in the case devoted to all my weapons, HQ, and characters, such as advisors or officers. When I set up my army, it's merely a case of looking at which squads have which weapons, and adding 1 special weapon from the HQ tray to the appropriate squad. Any platoon command members are pulled from the leftover squaddies that get exchanged for heavy weapons, there's usually only two heavy weapons in my 1500 point list, and so it covers the soldiers I need in my platoon command squads.

As for telling them apart on the battlefield, squads are usually spaced apart well enough, and I've familiarised myself with each platoon's weapons loadout. In assault, most units don't last long, and I find that only 1 or 2 squads are needed in all but the largest scraps, and even then, after 20 guardsmenb charge into CC, there's not much room for anyone else to fit. When  they die, I allocate a space in the gaming enviroment to each platoon, and they all line up in squads again, ready to be packed away once more. Simple.
We have more men than you have bullets!

Offline Plastic Warlord

• Forward you dogs, always forward!
« Reply #24 on: December 6, 2007, 09:57:04 AM »
I have, on occasion, had some difficulty telling my squad members apart.   This has normally occurred when I use an infantry heavy list and get jammed into a small deployment zone.  So all of my squads now get shoulder pad markings.  Each Platoon gets a colored stripe on their left shoulder.  Small bars on the stripe indicate the squad number.

In this picture is one of my veteran squads.  Hardened Vets get a red stripe and this is the 2nd squad, hence the two white bars.  (And yes, I accidentally put 1st Squad's Lascannon in with the squad...oops)

"Know that we cannot be stayed for we are the Guard and without number."

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #25 on: December 6, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »
Those are some snazzy guardsmen - my only complaint is that they aren't based consistently.

I also find that I have problems telling my squads apart, even with a numbering system to differentiate squads.  It isn't usually a problem in melee, as it is usually easy to draw a line between squads and simply remove casualties to as to make the dividing line more obvious.

Rather, the problem is usually in deployment - either with a crowded deployment area or where I'm trying to get multiple squads into one piece of cover.  In such incidences, even with my squad markings I find myself sometimes moving members of one squad along with another (or forgetting some behind) or, less often, removing casualties from the wrong squad.  I think the problem is that I need to look fairly carefully to see their squad markings - in that regard, your stripe idea is very good, as I imagine it is easier to pick out.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Plastic Warlord

• Forward you dogs, always forward!
« Reply #26 on: December 6, 2007, 01:49:28 PM »
Those are some snazzy guardsmen - my only complaint is that they aren't based consistently.

Thanks!  And the differing bases have since been corrected.  I'll be putting some recent photos in the "Your IG Army" thread soon.

I think the problem is that I need to look fairly carefully to see their squad markings - in that regard, your stripe idea is very good, as I imagine it is easier to pick out.

In retrospect, I wish I'd used the right shoulders.  The left tends to face towards the opponent and can be hard to see from my side of the table.  On the other hand, it makes target selection easier for my opponent....
 :o
"Know that we cannot be stayed for we are the Guard and without number."

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #27 on: December 7, 2007, 12:05:37 AM »
First off, I do like those Guardsmen, looks spiffy.

As for the markings, I do find that sometimes it s more important so that the opponent knows which squad is which. My friends have said that it can be a bid confusing when they try to fire at a squad and find out that the lascannon was placed in the middle between two squads.

Of course, I'm a good sport and I simply tell him which is which, but I could also be an ass about it.