News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Commissar Gaunt and Conscripts  (Read 1277 times)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
Commissar Gaunt and Conscripts
« on: November 26, 2007, 08:39:11 PM »
Now here's a question I'd like to ask, would putting Commissar Gaunt in a squad of 50 conscripts and then using them as a tar pit be wise?

Well, considering the fearless attribute that transfer over to the squad, it'll never break in combat, and that +1 to attack on the charge is just mean (Page 53, "Front Liner) if applicable, resulting in fearless Guardsmen and 3 attacks each on the charge, and considering the size, there'll be somewhere between 15-30 models in combat, netting between 45 and 90 attacks, or 30-60 if the Tanith only thing applies of course.

Regardless, it would be a be-atch to deal with in CC. So, what are your thoughts?

Offline grok_grok

Re: Commissar Gaunt and Conscripts
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:02:19 PM »
If you have a doctrine and some points to burn, who am I kidding no one has a doctrine to burn, just think of the devastating attack of with warrior weapons on those conscripts.

(Warrior weapons + Charge + Gaunt + Base Attack) X #of Men =
(1+1+1+1) X 50 = 200 attacks + 4 attacks (Gaunt's Attack) = 204 Attacks for 1 round

Total cost for this one hit wonder is 75 (Gaunt) + 300 (conscripts with warrior weapons) or 375 points

cost per attack is 204/375 or .55 of a point per attack.

Still you would have to burn a doctrine for this
GROK SMASH!

Offline *Striker*

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • "Oh, all you have left to fire is the flashlights"
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »
since he's an independent character though you have to be careful where you send him.  A couple directed attack or a powerfist against is T3...

Otherwise it is a good combo for a tarpit unit.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:27:30 PM »
Indeed, I intend to do exactly that soon, using this list here.  Though I'll only be having 40 conscripts.

That said, any army with conscripts (or warrior weapons) does NOT get the attack bonus for charging, as the bonus only applies to a Tanith models and an army with the Tanith doctrines at the back of the book has Tanith models.

Still, he's worth the points to make them fearless.  One thing you want to be careful about, however, is to keep him in the back of the unit.  Given that the necesity of charging into base-to-base if possible still applies, you want to keep him back so that he can't do so - being an IC, he can only be killed if he's in base-to-base, so keep him out so that the unit doesn't loose that lovely fearlessness.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Minchandre

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:40:48 PM »
If you have a doctrine and some points to burn, who am I kidding no one has a doctrine to burn, just think of the devastating attack of with warrior weapons on those conscripts.

(Warrior weapons + Charge + Gaunt + Base Attack) X #of Men =
(1+1+1+1) X 50 = 200 attacks + 4 attacks (Gaunt's Attack) = 204 Attacks for 1 round

Total cost for this one hit wonder is 75 (Gaunt) + 300 (conscripts with warrior weapons) or 375 points

cost per attack is 204/375 or .55 of a point per attack.

Still you would have to burn a doctrine for this

I thought that Warrior Weapons was Guard Infantry only (and conscripts didn't count)?

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 11:44:29 PM »
No, it specifies that it effects all units armed with a lasgun, but without access to the armory.

Offline The admin changed my name.

• The truth is out.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 11:53:24 PM »
Nosferatu I believe you are wrong. Check p.55 bottom left of the IG codex, right above "Restricted Troops". Conscripts do not receive Guard Infantry doctrines.
George Bush does not care about black people.
-Kanye West

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 12:02:01 AM »
Nosferatu I believe you are wrong. Check p.55 bottom left of the IG codex, right above "Restricted Troops". Conscripts do not receive Guard Infantry doctrines.

True, but here is the exact thing from the codex if I'm not going to get in trouble for it.

"Warrior Weapons. The regiment is recruited from primitive warriors. Any model normally armed with a lasgun that does not have access to the Armoury replaces it with a laspistol and close combat weapon or a pair of close combat weapons at a cost of omitted points per model.

May not be selected with Drop Troops, Mechanized or Grenadiers."

No where in that statement does it mention guard infantry, while the other special equipments use those words at least once, except with Chem-Inhalers, it just says +10 point per unit.

Now, this may be wrong, I'm just going with what could possibly be a loophole. Regardless, I'm not too keen on warrior weapons myself. 

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 05:16:29 AM »
You are correct, Nospheratu - Warrior Weapons is NOT a  "Guard Infantry" doctrine, but instead a "everyone normally with a lasgun" doctrine - so it does apply to conscripts.

That aside, warrior weapons is pretty off topic...

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera