News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chem-Inhalers Vs. Iron Discipline & Die-Hards  (Read 848 times)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
Chem-Inhalers Vs. Iron Discipline & Die-Hards
« on: November 20, 2007, 09:38:08 PM »
Now, just a question, because I'm currently re-gearing up my list for combat, I would like to know.

I could spend 70 pt. giving ID and DH out to my men, OR

I could just give them all Chem-Inhalers in a "count-as" no-retreat-for-honor-no-drugs-involve-at-all for 110 pt.

I know they both more or less do the same in practice, but should I cash in the extra 40 pt. and possibly another doctrine?

Oh, and please don't tell me why Guardsmen shouldn't be in close-combat and how it's suicide, I'm trying to calibrate a more aggressive strategy if it'll be alright with you all.

Please and Thank you.

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
Re: Chem-Inhalers Vs. Iron Discipline & Die-Hards
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 09:46:02 PM »
If I had to choose, I'd say chem inhalers, as it helps you actually get into close combat (and stay more effective without hiding behind stuff).

However, I believe that the best way to handle morale when it comes to close combat is simply to win the combat every turn. Thus, I would be more inclined to bring a priest for a command squad, than give 4 units chem inhalers (assuming that you can play it so that the command squad will be able to support whoever is flagging).

Or, better yet, just keep your CC HQ with a standard at the point in your line that needs the most supporting. Not only will they be there to help you win combat, but they would also be able to help you by running in and scoring some kills.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Forge Master Mordikai

• Herr Kommandant
  • New name, same old Kommadant
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:34:02 PM »
"Best" one is a personal preference and mostly based on the army. My armies tend to be smaller, stand alone aggressive units that go beyond the leadership range of an officer. So I would use Chem-inhalers, plus not failing the LD test because of modifiers is better than regrouping, IMO.

Iron Discipline is great for line troops that are within the spheres of LD and Diehards is good for just CC. These two are circumstantial doctrines.

I would choose the more expensive route and go with Chem-inhalers as they ALWAYS work.

But the best way is to choose one, play a game then make the descision, if you have time before an important match of course.
"Through death, honor is upheld" ~MachinGeist Mordavian

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 11:37:43 PM »
Well, thanks for the replies, I've decided to go with the Chem-Inhalers and I'm going to test it out ASAP. Maybe even this weekend. :)