News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 501st Etheran Grenadiers  (Read 895 times)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
501st Etheran Grenadiers
« on: March 31, 2007, 12:28:26 PM »
Hello, this is my current 1500 pt list. As you could tell I"m using Kroot Mercenaries to complement my lack of CC. Note that everyone but the vehicles can infiltrate. Great strategy for positioning close to the enemy or in cover just out of your deployment zone. If there are any advice you have, please leave a post.

HQ Sr. Officer w/ Power Weapon, Iron Discipline, Bolt Pistol, and Light Infantry.

Elites 2x Veteran Squads w/ 3 Meltaguns each.

Troops 2x Grenadiers w/ 1 Meltagun, plasma gun. Chimera w/ Multi-laser, Heavy bolter.

Fast Attack

19 Kroot
1 Shaper w/ Evicerator
10 Kroot Hounds

Heavy Support

Leman Russ, Lascannon, 2 heavy bolters
Leman Russ, Lascannon, 2 heavy bolters
Demolisher, Leascannon, 2 Plasma Cannons, Smoke Launchers.

Offline Major. Witham

• Major
  • 'Sound off like you got a pair!'
Re: 501st Etheran Grenadiers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 12:56:37 PM »
My first impression would be that its not really a Grenadiers army with a mere two squads of Grenadiers in it.

It also appears to be one of those lists in which the gamer deliberately takes only the bare minimum unit requirements in order to then get all the big and fancy units like tanks and Vets. Not a big fan of that myself, but thats a point of principle.

Tactically however there is some advice that can be given.

1) Veteran squads with meltas.

A good place to put meltas, but I assure you that infiltrating is not the best way to get these weapons in range. Deep Strike is the best tactic to use with the melta, the problem with infiltrating being that you still have to make your way over a certain degree of open ground on foot, and Veterans are as vunerable as any other Guardsman.

2) Grenadiers.

Nothing wrong with these squads other than the fact that you appear to have a plasma gun and melta in each squad. Dont do this.

The principle may be that in your mind this makes the squad more versitile as it has a weapon for both circumstance. However, in reality this just tends to leave you with a squad that is something of a poor jack of all trades and isnt particularily good in either role.

My advice is dont mix and match the special weapons in a Grenadier squad, have two of one or the other weapon and give your squads a clearly defined role - tank hunting or anti-heavy troop/light vehicle hunting.

Theres nothing else wrong with these squads or their Chimeras that wouldnt be a simple matter of opinion.

Incidently, the squads wont be able to infiltrate if they have a vehicle, so light infantry may not be of any use to them.

I cant comment on the Kroot because I simply dont know enough about them.

The tanks are fine apart from the fact that your list would appear to be a little too reliant on them.
"Sir! Looks like were surrounded!"

"Were Drop Troops soldier - Were supposed to be surrounded!"