News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Psyker Battle Squad  (Read 8458 times)

Offline General Canderous Fayler

• Iron Fist
  • Iron Fist of Caldonia
Re: Psyker Battle Squad
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
Actually woudln't it be 18 shots since there is a maximum of 9 psykers in the squad as the 10th guy is a handler?  9 + 9 = 18   Unless the animus gets 2 shots no matter what, its been a while for assassins and me.

Offline Diteron

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 08:29:24 PM »
The Animus does indeed get another 2 shots.  Of course, if you're using your Psykers in this way to feed the Culexus they're all at Ld 7 and darn near worthless.

And I believe its been mentioned that the Tank Shock doesn't work since the Weaken Resolve ability ends at the end of your player turn (haven't seen the new codex myself, just reiterating what others have said).
Life... is Strength.  This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough.  You live; you affect your world. 
  - Jon Irenicus

Offline uriël1978

• Time for a beer
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 04:12:20 PM »
Sup Skrag,

The Animus does indeed get another 2 shots.  Of course, if you're using your Psykers in this way to feed the Culexus they're all at Ld 7 and darn near worthless.

If you are getting 20 shots, then how exactly are the Psykers worthless? Their worth was to give 18 extra shots, and they did, thus, they cannot be worthless since they are doing exactly what you fielded them to do.

If you think that's points well spend, then sure they aren't worthless, everyone his own opinion.
But IMO it's points wasted. You are spending a very big amount of points to boost a very short ranged attack of a single model while at the same time that same model seriously cripples your psykersquads own effictiveness.
Click on the eggs and hatchlings

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »
I'd assume whilst the assassin advanced you'd be using the psykers as they are intended to be used, but when needed they can channel their force into the assassin. Thinking about it though, they'd still get to act normally wouldn't they, as his special rule is just 'psykers in the area'?

So really the only thing you have to do is keep the chimeras in range of the assassin, everything else is status quo (assuming you want to take the two squads!)
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »
You'd be paying 100+ for the Assassin, 100ish for the Chimeras, and 120 + Psykers for two units of Battle Psykers. That'd make it heading towards 400 points. I reckon for 400 points I could get more AP2 shots at a better range, but it's up to you. It was formulated for the Last Chancers in the old codex (make all 20 into Psykers), but it would have been mad points. Like 21 points a shot, plus Colonel S and Kage. And the Assassin. So like, 600.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2009, 02:46:25 AM »
Plus the inquisitor lord ;)

I'd expect the only time it might be useful is if you already want 2 squads of psykers in chimeras, already have an inquisitor lord with mystics (next to your executioner...) and suddenly think... OOO!

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »
Would rather bring two Demolishers/Executioners, thanks.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline uriël1978

• Time for a beer
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »
Me too, the extra tank is much better and tanks don't die as easy as an assasin.
Click on the eggs and hatchlings

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »
Exactly, me too. I was just trying to justify what the original idea (not by me) was trying to do. :)

Offline Commissar ShoutY

• Commissar
  • it says it all
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
i dunno bout these guys, i'd rather bring a fire support team or two, but mybe they can be of use, wht other powers they got?
Member of the prestigious 40konline commissariate, and we're here...

wonderful, amazing! i'm in awe of your uselessness

Offline Diteron

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2009, 07:14:49 AM »
If you were feeling really evil, provided that his fall back move is short (under 6"), you could then assault with the Callidus forcing him to roll to regroup with that same crappy Leadership, most likely failing and wiping the unit out.

The Psyker Battle Squad + Assassin is a nice combo, but it isn't anything I'd bring to a friendly game... nor a full squad of Nob bikers, either, now that I think about it.
Life... is Strength.  This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough.  You live; you affect your world. 
  - Jon Irenicus

Offline Spirit of Kurnous

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2009, 09:04:19 AM »
well cant believe the psker battle squad is as good as it is, high LD and extreme range, they are crazy, the imps shouldnt have psykers that powerful.  and as for weaken resolve, thats beyond broken.  especially when they get all this really quite cheaply.
40k:
Eldar=12000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 2000pts

Fantasy:
Slaanesh=5000pts      
Wood Elves=6000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 3000pts
High Elves 3000pts

Offline balo

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2009, 06:03:37 PM »
well cant believe the psker battle squad is as good as it is, high LD and extreme range, they are crazy, the imps shouldn't have psykers that powerful.  and as for weaken resolve, thats beyond broken.  especially when they get all this really quite cheaply.
Up until recently Leadership really didn't play a huge part of the meta game. Now people will have to consider that part and be prepared. I am sure people will find a way to counter this within a few months. It may change how people prepare for tournaments and even friendly games. But to call it cheap (as in point wise)... I don't know. It seems like a lot of eggs in one basket. If things go smoothly, you could get a 'lock' in the game and get a victory. If things go poorly, you lose almost a third of your armies cost (in a 1500 point game).

There are a lot of armies who this just WONT work against. Take black templar for example. Kill as many as you want and they will just run right at you and thank you kindly.
That all our knowledge begins with experience, there is indeed no doubt

Offline Spirit of Kurnous

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2009, 09:52:40 AM »
well cant believe the psker battle squad is as good as it is, high LD and extreme range, they are crazy, the imps shouldn't have psykers that powerful.  and as for weaken resolve, thats beyond broken.  especially when they get all this really quite cheaply.
Up until recently Leadership really didn't play a huge part of the meta game. Now people will have to consider that part and be prepared. I am sure people will find a way to counter this within a few months. It may change how people prepare for tournaments and even friendly games. But to call it cheap (as in point wise)... I don't know. It seems like a lot of eggs in one basket. If things go smoothly, you could get a 'lock' in the game and get a victory. If things go poorly, you lose almost a third of your armies cost (in a 1500 point game).

There are a lot of armies who this just WONT work against. Take black templar for example. Kill as many as you want and they will just run right at you and thank you kindly.

sure it wont work against BT but you can make marine dev squads run with only a few cas, same with eldar dark reapers etc, good for removing them from firing positions.
also how do you account for so many points from 1500? a full psker battle squad comes in just over 100pts (not giving exact points obviously)
40k:
Eldar=12000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 2000pts

Fantasy:
Slaanesh=5000pts      
Wood Elves=6000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 3000pts
High Elves 3000pts

Offline balo

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »
The numbers for the point cost were loosely based on previous discussion in the thread.

Offline don_mondo

• Iron Fist League
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2009, 08:20:14 PM »

You really might want to check the BT Righteous Zeal rule. The psychic choir works even BETTER against BT, cause all you have to do is kill one of them instead of 25%. They only run forward if they PASS the Morale test. If they FAIL it, they run away just like anyone else. Hit them first turn while they're still clos to their table edge and a unit is gone, rinse and repeat.
Hmmmm, I see what you're saying about the Instant Death from the Neural Shredder. However, the ID rules on page 26 only talk about how bonuses don't count when determining the Toughness value for determining ID. And the last line, while still talking about bonuses, does say "Use the lowest value for working out Instant Death." But it's another one forthe FAQ.
Don "MONDO"

Offline balo

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »

You really might want to check the BT Righteous Zeal rule. The psychic choir works even BETTER against BT, cause all you have to do is kill one of them instead of 25%. They only run forward if they PASS the Morale test. If they FAIL it, they run away just like anyone else. Hit them first turn while they're still clos to their table edge and a unit is gone, rinse and repeat.
Between a marshal or a banner or a chaplain they have a pretty good chance of passing their morale checks. Additionally, if they RZ they can choose which direction in some cases(or choose to RZ 0 distance).

Offline Erethrin

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2009, 11:19:36 PM »
I'm personally interested in how the Psyker Battle Squad will work with the Callidus Assassin's Neural Shredder.

No cover saves, no armor saves, no FNP roll, and instant death to anything without Eternal Warrior.

I'm thinking it would be too nasty a combo for a friendly game, but against a Nob Biker squad...  table for 1 please.   :D

is it FAQ'ed that neural shredder can insta-kill ? cause i always asume that it got no strenght

Offline Daedalus_Mk_V

• God from a machine.
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »
I'm personally interested in how the Psyker Battle Squad will work with the Callidus Assassin's Neural Shredder.

No cover saves, no armor saves, no FNP roll, and instant death to anything without Eternal Warrior.

I'm thinking it would be too nasty a combo for a friendly game, but against a Nob Biker squad...  table for 1 please.   :D

is it FAQ'ed that neural shredder can insta-kill ? cause i always asume that it got no strenght
Yes, the Neural Shredder can cause Instant Death, as it is S8 (and yes, this is dealt with in the WH FAQ). There is, however, a debate about whether it would cause ID to a unit because its LD has been lowered below 4 by Weaken Resolve (specifically because there is no actual rule for a unit being reduced below its base Toughness). As we've said before there's an argument for either side but no proof either way and certainly no consensus. If you plan to use it before it (hopefully?) gets FAQed, discuss it with your opponent and either come to an agreement or dice off.