News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lord Commander Solar Macharius  (Read 4738 times)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
Lord Commander Solar Macharius
« on: July 4, 2008, 09:09:21 PM »
Alright, so I've just gotten a new model (my thread implies which one) and I was wondering what your opinion is of this guy. I've got him all painted and ready to go, but I would like to know whether or not he's all that great.

Any tips would also be helpful, please and thank you.

Offline Gerald_Tremblay

Re: Lord Commander Solar Macharius
« Reply #1 on: July 4, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »
Macharius is one of my favorite 40k characters and is an awesome mini too, but don't really worth the points. His combat capabilities are worthless (is good amongst the guards, but against everything else he won't last long). The only too good things are his ld 10 leadership bubble and his Master Strategist special rule. You can get the ld 10 bubble for less with a HS and a Commissar and, honestly, do you really thing going first in any game worth 100pt? In all, he is very nice and fluffy and I would play with him anytime in a friendly game, but not in anything competitive, he's just too overpriced (and somewhat random).
“There are no atheism in foxholes” isn’t an argument against atheism, it’s an argument against foxholes.  – James Morrow

Quote from: Mr.Peanut about gambling
How your blood burns each time the Arrow Game dealer returns to each Zelda game, taking rupees in exchange for LIES!

Quote from: jawmonkey about rulelawying
This is why no Imperial force is complete without the addition of full-sized brass knuckles.

Offline Armored Kangaroo

• Lord Commander of Rythe
« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2008, 01:11:33 PM »
Same here, Macharius is an amazing character, his cost is hard to justify in small points games, apocolypse sure. Or something above 2000pts. His leadership bubble is better than anything else the gaurd can offer. We can get the leadership 10 with the HSO and Commi. But The lord solar's bubble isn't affected if he's pinned or in combat. Combat wise he's too random to be depended on. He ranges from the best fighter in the entire IG to equal to a vet sgt. But at 4 wounds and a 3+ invul save. At least he has alot of potential surviveablity.

I used to use him alot. The extra leadership and strategist rule was great but he really is expensive for 2000pt games. Though if the oppurtunity comes up, try him in games of about 2500-3000, thats when he should start becoming less of an expense and more of a asset.
It is the right of the victors to impose any conditions they please upon the vanquised.

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #3 on: July 5, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »
Well I've got a 3,000 point Apoc game coming up, I was planning on using him there.

Offline Black Hawk

• Captain
  • "Men of Tanith! Do you want to live forever?"
  • Armies: IG, DH, HE, Gondor
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2008, 03:29:34 PM »
I'd use him in a game like that. He'll be able to shred a bunch things with his power sword before he goes down......if he goes down. Where did you get the rules for him? I know he's in the old IG Codex, but I can't seem to find it.

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »
http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/special-characters/2/

Enjoy. There's also a PDF you can download from that page at the bottom. It's exactly like the 3rd edition page.

I think it's even legal in tournament play.

Offline Black Hawk

• Captain
  • "Men of Tanith! Do you want to live forever?"
  • Armies: IG, DH, HE, Gondor
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »
Thanks a lot. I'm pretty sure he's legal. You might have to check with the tournament managers before you play him.

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »
Gotta check if Master Strategist works with the Apoc rules thogh. would be extremely terrible to force your opponent to deploy first then say "I go first!"
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »
My friend and I decided that it was too unfair in that case and that because the rolls were not chosen at random, you do not get the first turn.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2008, 03:12:58 AM »
I painted Macarius up for a friend and gave him Saint Celestine's cape and and can personally say NOTHING says "heroic senior officer" like Macarius does...

So, even if you don't use his rules, the model makes an awesome general.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Ghaz

• I argue because I care
« Reply #10 on: July 8, 2008, 12:56:44 AM »
I think it's even legal in tournament play.

It's up to the tournament organizers to decide what's legal for their tournament or not.
"A commander must have the courage to see his plan through,
for good or ill. Wars are won or lost when the battle-lines are
drawn
."
-The Tactica Imperium-