News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 48th carvellian/923rd halbraidian  (Read 294 times)

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar
48th carvellian/923rd halbraidian
« on: November 12, 2006, 11:44:24 PM »
As the name implies, the regiment is a fresh start for the remnants of the 923rd and the 58th. Commissars roam about the newly created regiment, searching for disciplinary problems often resulting from such a merging (doctrine: Independent Commissars, 1/2)

As a brief background for each, the 48th was a light, mobile force, comprised of storm troopers, sentinels, and men from the semi-civilized world of Carvellia which is dominated by a single, huge forest with monstrous mountains dotting the landscape, and whos  people are adept at picking their way through terrain, and stalking prey through forests, aided by crafty camouflage. The regiment was first used as a regular regiment, until random circumstance thrust them under a caring commander during the cleansing of the secessionists of ferrin, who saw their talents and used them to considerable effect in infiltrating and springing suprise assaults on the rebel. After this lucky break, the regiment was given a detachment of Storm Troopers to aide in their role as pseudo special forces, as well as more specialized equipment. .(doctrines: light infantry, storm troopers, cameleoline)

On the other hand, the 923rd is a regiment from the militarized world of Halbraiden, which has, as the regiment's number implies, supplied the imperium with many forces of fighting men, mainly vast armies of hardly trained hive boys, forced and coerced to fight by the incredible Halbraidian propaganda machine. The men of these regiments are usually fed into the meatgrinder that is Armageddon, but this one was diverted to anavelat X due to the fact that it was A) closer, and B) ork activity was beginning to register out of the norm, with the hallmarks of a WAAGH (though not the biggest one to arise). (conscripts, Independent Commissars 1/2)

The regiments (along with several others) were thrust into thr thick of the fighting, and, thanks to a valorous sacrifice by the 13th Craxian Guard managed to escape with their regiments badly mangled, instead of destroyed.

first shot at a list, without really committing to anything except keeping tanks on the low side (planning on air support soon)

HQ:
command squad
anti tank squads with missiles (have enough for 2)
sentinel squad

Troops:
Infantry platoon (light infantry, cameleoline)
Conscript platoon with independent commissar(can they have any doctrines)

Elites: storm troopers and veterans (probably 2 storm, veterans depending on the mission)

fast attack:
sentinels, probably 3 squads of 1

Heavy support: griffons, basilisks, and air units, trying to avoid heavy tanks, but i will include them until i get the other things.

So, any thoughts on choice of units? i will create an actual armylist soon, this is a rough outline for unit choices. Other units im thinking about are: armoured fist squads, and mortar squads. I would like to avoid lascannons, but i cant include them without thinking "how does he sneak around with that?", so if you have any advice on how to make them look "infiltratable" then please, say so.
-IG w/d/l (since 15th December, 2007): 26/8/6
Last Game: 4,000 point draw in Apocalypse

Offline OrdoPugioVII

• 7th Order of the Dagger
Re: 48th carvellian/923rd halbraidian
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:58:26 AM »
I like your fluff alot, its pretty cool. I consider good fluff as fluff visualized mentally..

Onto the army, dont take my advice because by all accounts im an Imperial newb, but I would say do consider putting light infantry on the command platoon, at least the command squad, equipping them for some "rough times", and infiltrating them with the light infantry platoon. This gives you a little bit more oomph if you get assaulted instead of getting your preferred close range cover-assisted crossfire situation. Also gives you other options.

If you infiltrate a small unit of veterans with them, situate them near the head command squad, and equip them with closer range assault weapons like flamers and meltas, no heavy. Treat them as if they were an extension to your command squad and this way if things do get thick and you get assaulted, you'll have some of your best incl. characters right in the middle of it.

I mean, a command squad + a veterans squad is 7 special weapons + the command squad from the first platoon in the troops selection with 4 more specials = 11 specials out of a possible 16 men if you went minimum men, if your veterans were small in number. Infiltrate that!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 04:02:16 AM by runetang »
Ordo Pugio VII -- Order of the Dagger
7th Company, Hive Warfare Special Ops