News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Some ideas needed...  (Read 903 times)

Offline Raven

Some ideas needed...
« on: July 5, 2006, 03:14:44 PM »

So this is squad one of an army I'm attempting to get to tabletop in under a day. Simple enough reason behind this btw: I've just finished my DE, having finished iron wariors, having finished eldar, having finished Tzeentch, having finished Daemon hunters, having finished kroot, having finished tau, having finished khorne...

Ie. These guys are quick and cheerful.

I'm currantly trying to decide what I can do with them though. Are they too dark with just this dark metal, or do you like them like that?

Suggestions on SIMPLE paint scheme modifications are very welcome.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
Re: Some ideas needed...
« Reply #1 on: July 5, 2006, 03:18:17 PM »
I like them myself. They have that metallic Necron scheme but it's not boltgun metal so it stands out. The yellow rods also help differentiate it from the norm as well. The only thing I may suggest, which isn't even necessary is maybe give them a wash of brown or chestnut ink. It'll tone down the metallic shine and make them look grittier.

Good job though, I wish I had time or inspiration to paint as much as you have.  :-\

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline Raven

« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2006, 04:02:05 PM »
Any other thoughts?

Offline Targetawg

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »
Metallic models are great for easy paint schemes, I like the look of those, although they are a bit dark. As was mentioned before, washing your metals with inks will give them a more used feel.

I use chestnut or brown ink for golds/bronzes and for silver metals (like boltgun) i use tamiya smoke.

If you wanted to brighten it also, you can highlight just as you would any other model, except with a lighter metallic shade around the plate edges.

Other than that, I like em, especcially the different colored rods. Ive seen entirely too many green rodded necrons.

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2006, 06:20:35 AM »
pop a blob of skull white in the eyes and then the same orange as the rods (golden yellow i think) then use a red ink in the eye sockets and maybe a black line ink (just ink in around the eyes) then put a wee blob of blazing orange on the eyes for an evilrobotofdeath-butimnottheGvnrofCalifornia look.

other than that all i would say would be a highlight draybrush (for speed) on the metal maybe boltgun with chestnut or flesh wash to tint it